Why and When Cold Calling Works ?

dsverma

One way to understand cold calling is to review the results of being cold called yourself. I usually hear tele-callers out and my personal experience has been that about a quarter of the time they have been able to get me great deals.

Just within the last 6 months, my team and I have been cold sold:
1. Bandwidth. We need to buy a lot of it. The deal gave us - hold your breath - twice the BW for 90% of the price! From the same provider! If that was not enough, we have later negotiated a road map to reduce the price to 20% of what it was for a small increase in purchasing.
2. Printer ink. We had never analysed what HP was gouging out from us in cartridge costs, till a telecaller advised us to. Well guess what, a color cartridge that was marked as good for 450 pages actually measured in at 23! We have setup a CISS system now that seems promising in terms of printing cost.
3. A small finance deal at a good interest rate.

A decade ago we were cold sold a solution that resulted in a major business line for the next 5 years! I do believe hearing out telemarketers can be a very profitable exercise.

Telemarketing is effective for the person being called because the sales stance changes. When gauging interest, a telecaller is more likely to put his best offer on the table. For example 1 above, we regularly asked for discounts from our existing service provider. These requests were always channeled back to our existing relationship managers. It took a telecaller intent on getting his foot into our door to let us know the price level attainable.

However there are caveats. The examples above are all business solutions. I cannot remember a single time I was cold sold a residential service successfully. My private numbers are on DNC. I think business telemarketing is more effective for the following reasons:

1. Just the name of the business can give you a lot of information about what it does. With all the information available on businesses, providing a targeted solution is much easier. Residential information on the other hand is restricted under privacy laws.
2. Due to the lower ticket size of sales, residential telemarketing is often done by bureaus, hence are rarely personalised.

This is not to say residential telecalling cannot work, just that it should be restricted to larger ticket sizes and to cases where good information is available.

Any thoughts on above?

Re: Why and when Ccold Calling Works

What do you consider large ticket size?

I would be broke if I were to cold call businesses. My average sale is only about $300, but I get into about 8 homes a week and sell on average about 4-5 apps a week.

You can't just generalize everyone and say that residential sales is not as good as business sales. I love what I do and feel it is very easy

What do you consider large ticket size?

I would be broke if I were to cold call businesses. My average sale is only about $300, but I get into about 8 homes a week and sell on average about 4-5 apps a week.

You can't just generalize everyone and say that residential sales is not as good as business sales. I love what I do and feel it is very easy

I agree, although he presents interesting information and perspective.

I have been cold calling for Med Supps for many, many years and doing it very successfully. I'm sure it is a different approach than what he uses but never the less it can be done very successfully.

I agree it can be successful frank :)

Ive been sitting in my house all day cold calling ( I say all day, more like 20 mins on and 20 mins on the intraweb) but I have set 2 appointments so far. I don't have an appt until 5:30 tonight

From the title of this thread I believe that dsverma was really cold and his/her teeth were chattering when it was typed! Brrr!!!:twitchy:

Last edited:

Residential cold calling is tough and getting tougher. Business owners understand the idea if you have a better mouse trap you have to call people to let them know. They have to do this themselves. Residential on the other hand especially seniors are a very difficult bunch to work. Why is this? Many reasons... DNC, Cancellation of land lines, media stoking fears, last ten years onslaught of telemarketing, "real" wages have decreased, no COLA from social security, advent of identity theft, basic paranoia and this is just off the top of my head I'm sure there are more.

One way to understand cold calling is to review the results of being cold called yourself. I usually hear tele-callers out and my personal experience has been that about a quarter of the time they have been able to get me great deals.

Just within the last 6 months, my team and I have been cold sold:
1. Bandwidth. We need to buy a lot of it. The deal gave us - hold your breath - twice the BW for 90% of the price! From the same provider! If that was not enough, we have later negotiated a road map to reduce the price to 20% of what it was for a small increase in purchasing.
2. Printer ink. We had never analysed what HP was gouging out from us in cartridge costs, till a telecaller advised us to. Well guess what, a color cartridge that was marked as good for 450 pages actually measured in at 23! We have setup a CISS system now that seems promising in terms of printing cost.
3. A small finance deal at a good interest rate.

A decade ago we were cold sold a solution that resulted in a major business line for the next 5 years! I do believe hearing out telemarketers can be a very profitable exercise.

[...]

However there are caveats. The examples above are all business solutions.

Every single item you mentioned had an immediate need. Unless timing is on your side, most insurance is NOT an immediate need. Or you're selling on PRICE... and that's something I simply refuse to do. If you sell by price, you'll die by price.

Unless you can help people solve their problems that are important and urgent... that have an emotional need to be solved NOW... unless you can do that, you'll have a hard time with cold-calling. I don't care WHO you're calling - residential or business - they need to perceive a need to solve a problem that they agree that they have.

...Or you're selling on PRICE... and that's something I simply refuse to do. If you sell by price, you'll die by price.

You are 100% correct unless you are selling Med Supps. The only logical way to make the presentation is based on price since all plans are standardized.

If one does not sell Med Supps based on price they will "die". I save everyone I sell to money, if I can't save them money then I do not expect to make the sale.

Agents can talk about ratings and a host of other things but ultimately it comes down to "price". Seniors will not pay more for the same thing they currently have.

Just my thoughts.

You are 100% correct unless you are selling Med Supps. The only logical way to make the presentation is based on price since all plans are standardized.

That is actually a good corollary. If you don't sell med supps on price, you have very little to offer other than your good looks and winsome ways.

Had a guy the other day that told me to take a hike. I said gladly, I need the excercise. He called me back when gas prices went up and said you know saving $40/month seems like a good idea now.

If one does not sell Med Supps based on price they will "die". I save everyone I sell to money, if I can't save them money then I do not expect to make the sale.

Agents can talk about ratings and a host of other things but ultimately it comes down to "price". Seniors will not pay more for the same thing they currently have.

Just my thoughts.

Or unless you work for Bankers life and casualty.

On two occasions now Ive had clients tell me that their med supp is $40 more a month because they have better coverage for people with cancer. I looked at the info that was left with the client and assured her that their F plan is exactly the same as any other F plan.

Some agents...:no:

Back