• Too busy

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I do cold call

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • Other

Votes: 17 37.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It would be easier if piker carriers didn't spend decades and millions advertising on low value cannibalizing benefits like premium savings for switching.

I ran across a post about this book "Cold Calling Techniques" that really work by: Stephan Schiffman.

The Agent had nothing but postives things to say about it. Take a look at it.

I've found that reluctance to cold call is almost always based on a fear due to limited knowledge. If you try to sell something that you do not know inside and out - it can be a horrible experience.

I cold call and cold contact like a mad man and get burnt out a lot but the fire comes right back a day later. I generate a lot of prospects this way however I dont know that all of them are gems or qualified leads however with staying in contact and time they can become diamods. With that being said I have had a lot of buddies jumping into networking groups and seeing a lot of success. I believe this depends on the person but a lot of sales speakers are starting to teach the concept of building a friendship and a mutual trust before selling which is a very hard skill to master in the short minutes you have a business owners attention on the phone.

I have even heard it described as " you would not ask a marathon runner how they can do it while they are in the middle of a marathon would you?" " you would ask them before or after the race" This time tends to be on their own free time at social events or confrences/tradeshows/marketing groups.

I agree with this whole heartedly however I will never give up cold calling it generates too much for me to swear it off.

Another way to pursue this to through new lead generation platforms like somesite.grr which has potential insurance clients enter their information, sends it anonymously to competing agents in the neighbourhood, and returns the lowest quote to the client who can then opt-in for the agent to call them ... thus avoiding the cold-call issues and making it a per-qualified exclusive lead...

That's an interesting idea. Do you get a lot of traffic from spamming insurance forums?

I sometimes don't cold call when I am not in a good mood. I find I am much more successful when I am in a good mood when I make the call.

How about a poll option called "I am terrifyed". On this subject I highly recommend
The Psychology of Sales Call Reluctance: Earning What You're Worth in Sales.

Cold calling, I found, is a state of mind.

When I first got into this business they told me to cold call door knock or purchase leads. Whether I thought I was too good for cold calling or didn't want to use my energy, I fought it with procrastination and purchased leads. WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY and TIME. After a few years of this philosophy and not seeing results I about quit. Then I ran into an old insurance associate that was doing well. We both got into the business around the same time with UGA, which went through a few name changes and is now Insphere. After a year with UGA we both left and went our separate ways. A few years passed when we ran into each other last January, we quickly caught up and he told me that he is selling over the phone in 8 different states and was doing quite well.

While drowning in debt and nothing to lose at this point I called him for one last ditch to save all the years I invested in my business. We sat and went over every stage of the sale. I quickly realized that I was the problem. Mentally, I was the problem. Once I accepted the fact that to be successful in this business I need to cold call, the phone has become my best friend. I have a very short script bc you only have about 8 secs to perk their interest, along with a followup question that I found works well for me. And I'm starting to see real success. While my goal is 20 every month. I've come close at 16 for the past few months. I know these numbers aren't spectacular compared to some here but they're real numbers. Oh and read as many posts as you can from Frank Stastny. He helped me tremendously and was an advocate for cold calling. Damn I miss him!

The only thing that "doesn't work" is sitting around your home office doing nothing - or researching the best "CRM."

It's really easy to appear busy while doing nothing. The only harmful marketing activity is one that takes away time from something more productive. If you're going to work your inner circle, fine. Does that take 8 hours a day? Unlikely.

Basically, making cold calls harms nothing unless you would have spend that time doing something more productive. Since there are 8 hours in day, it's hard to argue that a new agent can't dedicate 2 hours a day to some cold calling and 2 to 4 more hours on another kind of marketing.

Back