Why should I let you help me?

jack3454

Super Genius
I got questioned while I was at a persons house. I was helping the husband, and the wife who was not medicare agem grilled me. She asked why they should work with me instead of the people at SHIP (volunteers of the state who are apparently medicare advisors). I wasn’t really sure how to respond to that as it caught me off guard.

What would you say to this If it were you?

In situations like this, you need to sell yourself. People aren't just buying a policy, they are buying you.

Extol all the virtues you bring to your client relationships, how they won't have to wade through the government bureaucracy or speak to a new advisor whenever they have a question or concern. This is all you do, you work hard for them. Period.

Jerry Maguire:
I will not rest until I have you holding a Coke, wearing your own shoe, playing a Sega game *featuring you*, while singing your own song in a new commercial, *starring you*, broadcast during the Superbowl, in a game that you are winning, and I will not *sleep* until that happens. I'll give you fifteen minutes to call me back.

Why should I let you help me? Because licensed professional agents have to endure hours of training in all 70+ plans that I represent every year. Those plans change - every year. Working with a SHIP volunteer is like working with health care volunteer for advice when you have unexplained headaches. Do you want to talk to a volunteer about your headaches, or do you want to speak to a neurologist?

I got questioned while I was at a persons house. I was helping the husband, and the wife who was not medicare agem grilled me. She asked why they should work with me instead of the people at SHIP (volunteers of the state who are apparently medicare advisors). I wasn’t really sure how to respond to that as it caught me off guard.

What would you say to this If it were you?
This is a trust issue question.

Your answer doesn't really matter all that much. Say something nice and go back to the beginning of your sales cycle... The Warm Up.

It sounds like you may have built a rapport with the husband, but forgot about the wife. Take time, get to know her, make eye contact, try and get her to laugh (people don't laugh at your jokes if they don't like you). If she laughs at your stupid jokes, then your good. Close.

Don't forget the cool down after the close as well, no wam bam thank you ma'ams in sales!

Why should I let you help me? Because licensed professional agents have to endure hours of training in all 70+ plans that I represent every year. Those plans change - every year. Working with a SHIP volunteer is like working with health care volunteer for advice when you have unexplained headaches. Do you want to talk to a volunteer about your headaches, or do you want to speak to a neurologist?
In addition to all of that, I have a 2-million dollar insurance policy to protect you in the event that I would ever make a mistake that would endanger your coverage.
When the SHIP volunteer makes a mistake or does something they simply don’t have the training or knowledge to do you get an “Opps! Sorry!“

In addition to all of that, I have a 2-million dollar insurance policy to protect you in the event that I would ever make a mistake that would endanger your coverage.
When the SHIP volunteer makes a mistake or does something they simply don’t have the training or knowledge to do you get an “Opps! Sorry!“
I like that one.

So much that I'm putting it on my business cards ...

"If you've been screwed over by Newby, you may be entitled to compensation."

Mic drop

Because I f**cking drove to your house!

Kidding, sort of. Yes, this is likely a trust issue. That said, I am a YOOGE advocate of the takeaway. My response would be something like, Would you prefer to work with a SHIP volunteer? And then shut up and see what comes out of her mouth. Don't go all on-and-on about your training and certifications and licenses and whatever. She doesn't care. Act as if you couldn't care less which way they decide and mean it.

I know that can seem impossible to do when a person is just getting started but it is a mindset that will serve you well.

This is a trust issue question.
Double agree.

When people ask this, it's not the answer you look for, but it is an evaluation of what you are saying, how you are saying it, how you act as you say it, and when are you saying it.

Not a pleasant thing, but when we face questions like this, it's like a red light on our dash, something is not right. Don't beat yourself up, evaluate yourself and your presentation, lean into making the necessary changes... great thing is, often there just small adjustments.

Back