Wondering if Some of Ya'll Can Solve a Debate.....

Go to donotcall.gov and go to the rules section. When you get to the rulings, do a search for "face" and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

It's under the exemptions section and says:
"Telephone calls in which the sale of goods or services or charitable solicitation is not completed, and payment or authorization of payment is not required, until after a face-to-face sales or donation presentation by the seller or charitable organization, provided, however that this exemption does not apply to the requirements of...." (and it goes to list requirements to not be abusive, etc.)

Dang it, there used to be some very clear wording that calls for setting appointments (i.e., not making a sale) was included in the do not call rules. Looks like they may have reversed course in the 2009 updates, which I never bothered to read, thinking the robocalls stuff didn't really apply to me.

I haven't had a chance to go through this in its entirety, probably never will, but it is an interesting change. A quick google of this shows many 'experts' recommending caution on exploiting this loophole, but almost confirming that yes, it has been allowed. Hmmm, interesting.

Dan

The bottom line is: There are a possible 51 Do Not Call registeries in the USA (1-federal and 50- states.) They can ALL have different rules. Some states have opted out of having a state one and just adopt the federal as their own.

Many states have a very active state one. In those states you have to check BOTH lists before you can call anyone.

In Indiana, insurance agents are exempt from the state so we just need to check the federal.

Just don't call people who don't want to be called and you will be fine.

My number's been on DNC for over 10 years. I still get at least one marketing call a day. It's kind of like CMS rules - I still haven't found any agent who ever got busted by CMS.

Plenty have been busted by CMS.

Also, your number only stays on the DNC for 5 years, have you renewed it?

Rules have changed. You are now on the DNC list forever once you are on.

Yes, I still get marketing calls as well. A few a week. There is always someone who thinks the rules don't apply. I personally can't afford the fines.

Dan

That's what I had assumed until I read carriers' policies on Non Compliance Disciplinary Actions. It seemed almost impossible to get terminated even if you tried.

Having worked as a broker manager as well as having many associates in the field I can assure you that it's not only possible, but easily doable if you tried.

It's even easier to catch hell from CMS over nothing substantial.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rules have changed. You are now on the DNC list forever once you are on.

When did that happen?

Last edited:
I always shake my head when I read a bunch of posts from Agents about trying to get around the DNC law....and then in the same posts mention they themselves are on the DNC and still get calls and some people never learn.....Can you say Hypocrites.

And for the record, My phone is NOT listed on the DNC. I have no problem telling a telemarketer that I am not interested in their pitch....I will say I can live with calls for a commerical purpose....What drives me nuts and I bet will soon start ramping up once again are exempt political calls. If politicians think this law is such a good idea then they shouldn't be exempt from it....And every agent should call and writer members of Congress asking them they remove the exemption.

I completely agree about the politicians writing a loophole for themselves. That really pisses me off.
I don't think the rest of us are trying to get around it. I haven't made a cold call in years.
We were just debating if there were states that exempted insurance agents.

The real problem with most telemarketers is that they are just so bad at it. I'll always listen to a telemarketer if they are decent, respectful and its not a bad time. I imagine many people would under the same circumstances.

I'm not saying to break the DNC, just to at least be a decent person when cold-calling.

Back