Working FEX Part Time

What David is addressing is the profitablity of spending resouses on a part time agent. Totally different from the question of a part time agent being able to succeed. There are some that tell agents there is almost no possibility of a part time agent being successful and that is just not true. Of course, that does depend on a person's deffinition of success. I have a fried who has been part time for over 20 years. He is a school teacher and is dedicated to teaching. He works more or less full time insurance in the summer months and two or three evenings when school is in session. He sells around $40k per year. I would consider that successful on a part time basis.
Anecdotal. Vast majority of part timers fail out. Does that mean folks shouldn't try? No, it's up to each individual to decide.

However, my advice to them will not change. I'll still tell them that more than 90% of new agents fail out, and a small percentage of the successful agents are part-time. In other words, they'd be better off giving it a go as a full-time agent.

Wow! I just literally posted a testimonial of my story. You need to read it. Yes you are right, You can do this. By my experience it takes minimum of 15 to 20 hours a week to make things happen and be somewhat lucrative . I have an hour drive home and am making generally 2 to 3 phone calls on my way home from work. Clerical or research during my 40 minute lunch and another phone call during my 20 minute break. All this Monday through Friday. BAM!! Right there is generally 10 hours a week for me using idle time. The rest of the time is prospect/client interaction generally in the evening Tuesdays and Thursdays when I get home. It’s on the phone or go to face to face appointments. I also use a whole Saturday at least once a month. My average time now is generally 20 to 30 hours a week on top of my 40 hour a week regular job and again it’s all idle time that I’m using. I still have Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays free in the evening plus 3 weekends free. Now I do sometimes make an extra Saturday and I will also use some extra Saturday mornings if nothing is going on just to touch base with clients on my iniative.
Great, you told us how much work.. btw 60-70 hours a week is way more than most of us full-time agents are working.

Now, can you share how profitable your insurance business is? And why not go full-time?

Great, you told us how much work.. btw 60-70 hours a week is way more than most of us full-time agents are working.

Now, can you share how profitable your insurance business is? And why not go full-time?
It’s all about what you do with your time. This is my testimony my friend. I love both positions . This is why .

My kids are grown now and in The RV industry as well and it’s a huge connection. Each of them have other gigs as well.

I’ve been in the insurance industry for 16 years and I get renewals and have repeat business if that tells you anything. The Insurance is what is going to basically pay for my retirement on a residual income.

Again this is the testimony I wrote.

Kicking It and Changing Lives!

Hi Chris, and my insurance forum friends.

I do have a July and life victory report. It’s more of a story and a testimony that may help someone else out.

I decided to enter the insurance industry in 2008 but let’s backup a little. I started in the RV industry in 2003, and I still am. However, in 2008, there was a downturn, just like everything else, and I picked an industry that I thought isn’t going to fail. So I did the insurance thing also still am.

Anyway, I started out selling to those who believe in “Dave Ramsey”. Production in the RV market picked up in 2009, so a lot of my clients went back to work and started buying houses, toys, etc.

Again, in 2010, another downturn left me looking in my rear view mirror with many cancellations and lapses due to the belief that what was more important is keeping cars and toys over family protection.

But get this! This was actually a blessing in disguise. I would follow up on those who canceled and lapsed, trying to save them with no to little avail.

Here's where the blessing came in.

I would get several comments like “Rob, I had to let my insurance go but my dad, or mom, or uncle just got laid off and he/she is 62 years old and they just took an early retirement. Now they need life insurance”. I did take these referrals and discovered the hardships of this market.

When sitting across the table from these clients, a few had tears literally coming down their cheek stating “Look, I’m going to be real. I have been let go from my job and I’m 62 years old, now who’s going to hire me at this age for only a couple of years? I don’t think anyone will, so I cashed in my 401k and paid off my house and debts because I didn’t want my kids paying my bills. Now, all I have is income from social security. I lost all my benefits from work, including my insurance, and I don’t want my family worrying about paying to put me in the ground when they have their own struggles and worries. I need something, and I only have this much a month to pay. So can you help me?”

Being fairly new as I started asking health questions, I realized I needed something that was an easy issue.

Lo and behold, I discovered Simplified Issue Whole Life! I drew up an itinerary of health questions as my guide of what companies would accept them.

You get my point.

I have been in the RV industry at JAYCO for 21 years now. I’ve been in production, service, product design and development, research and development, and a foreman. I love the industry and will retire from it, but this leads me to my other part of my victory!

Both these industries are lifestyle industries, I love them both. However, the RV industry is demanding on the body, where the only demand on the insurance industry is commitment. You see, both of these industries change lives. However, the RV industry is reliant on the market, but there is always a need for insurance no matter what the market is.

That’s my story.

Now, here is my testimony of this victory report, which actually takes place over 16 years and counting.

Are you ready?

You can be in the insurance industry even if you have another job. There are many people who need help and few people to make a commitment to provide the service to fill the need.

Thank you for reading.

Depends on his costs. Unless he's working by referral only and setting his own appts, he can't be netting anything close to $40k by writing that much. Maybe his renewals are just killing it, but I doubt that.
He does not buy leads. And, he writes a mix of life and supplemental health so the health renewals are very good but even if he were only writting life he would be making around $40K which isn't bad for a part time income on top his $65k plus benefits as a teacher. Not a lot of full time agents make that.

I forgot to mention every other Monday I spend about 1.5 hours on documentation of time, pay, expenses and mileage when I get home from work. So this is included on my 20 to 30. Plus my wife stays on my ass on this one. LOL! Also just last month I started posting a victory post on here once a month on Sunday. Today just happened to be my second. Man I love the fact that there are people like you that challenge teammates to step up. Thank you

The odds are even greater against you if you try this business part time. Knowing full time agents still fail out this biz.

Will I discourage someone who mind is made up to do it ? No.
Will the people who are cheering on people trying this part time on-board and train part time agents ? I doubt it.

The best way to succeed in a business like this is to paint yourself into a corner with no plan B. Spend your last dime on leads. That's about where I was. I had money saved up, but I shredded my resume and vowed to never again apply to be a wage slave. It was rocky for a bit, but it worked out. I can work when I want now, but I enjoy the work, so it's easy to up and go to work. When doing admin work at home, I get to hear my wife on her daily Zoom and Teams calls, watch her stress out every second from 8am to 6pm, M-F and make less than half what I make. But hey, I need the health insurance from her job.

What David is addressing is the profitablity of spending resouses on a part time agent. Totally different from the question of a part time agent being able to succeed. There are some that tell agents there is almost no possibility of a part time agent being successful and that is just not true. Of course, that does depend on a person's deffinition of success. I have a friend who has been part time for over 20 years. He is a school teacher and is dedicated to teaching. He works more or less full time insurance in the summer months and two or three evenings when school is in session. He sells around $40k per year. I would consider that successful on a part time basis.
People who have already sold insurance successfully can go down to part-time and make money with no big problem. But someone working a full-time job and thinking they will make a go of learning insurance on nights and weekends are a million to one.

And those are always the ones on Facebook looking for salary plus commission, free leads, great training and an open-release. 😂 It’s fun watching the FFL bottom of the pyramid recruiters fight over them.

People who have already sold insurance successfully can go down to part-time and make money with no big problem. But someone working a full-time job and thinking they will make a go of learning insurance on nights and weekends are a million to one.

And those are always the ones on Facebook looking for salary plus commission, free leads, great training and an open-release. 😂 It’s fun watching the FFL bottom of the pyramid recruiters fight over them.

. Is it my imagination or does there seem to be a big big increase of newbies posting on Fb saying they just got into the ins business . It’s crazy the flood of newbies getting into this . Same questions 1000 times and all the mlmers “ I’ll dm you I can help you “. lol

Back