1 call close or not?

The senior market though is a different situation, as they only have a limited time to "think about it". The end of this week is it for most. Plus, they are only allowed one plan change per enrollment time. There is more pressure to enroll, not by the agent but by Medicare and the lock-in.

It is not like the individual market where they can buy whenever and change plans all year (subject to underwriting of course).

The senior market though is a different situation, as they only have a limited time to "think about it". The end of this week is it for most. Plus, they are only allowed one plan change per enrollment time. There is more pressure to enroll, not by the agent but by Medicare and the lock-in.

It is not like the individual market where they can buy whenever and change plans all year (subject to underwriting of course).

I think you must be referring to MA plans, a senior can change supplements every month if they want to(providing there is enough companies and they qualify)

If I EVER heard of someone visiting my Dad, and telling him that he needs to start the paperwork, and get me and my sister involved later, not only would I contact the insurance commissioner, but I would also love to meet you in a dark alley with a 9 Iron.

Listen to yourselves, ladies and gentlemen!

We are professionals! One call closers are for encyclopedia salesman and magazine subscription sales.

You mean to tell me that each and every one of you goes to Best Buy or Sears, and buys major purchases on the very first trip, without shopping around. BULLS**T! The senior market has been the most abused market in the past 10 years, and by OUR industry more than any other.

We need to treat these people with respect!

Nearly 98% of my MA sales are referrals from other insurance agents and financial planners that have clients that are 65 or over. I have closed 96% of those. As for the cold calls from the seminars I do at Assisted Living Facilities and Libraries, I follow up, and the conversation goes as such:

"Hello, Ms. Bryant. I'm Bob Levine, the gentleman that was there last Tuesday, talking about the changes in Medicare. You'd put down that you wanted me to speak with you in greater detail. Before we do that, I must make you aware that personal policy dictates that either a family member, trusted advisor, or at least the Executive Director of your facility be there during our conversation. As you know, unsavory agents in the past have preyed on Seniors, and this is my way of making sure this does not happen in your case. I'd love to answer your questions, and go through what options you have, but I'd feel more comfortable if we were sitting down with a third party, preferrably someone who helps you make your health care decisions. If you don't mind, allow me to call your son/daughter/granddaughter/executive director and schedule a time for the three of us to get together. I don't mind coming by on the weekend or at night."

If they are not comfortable enough to either give me a name and number, or promise to give my name and number to someone (by the way, I follow up in two days to make sure it happens. if I don't get a call, then I tell them that I cannot come by until I hear from that person), than I have not built up, or earned, their trust, and they are nothing more than a tire kicker. Then I move on, not after meeting with them, and wasting my time and theirs.

To you and I this is not a major decision, because they are either zero premium or low premium. But, it's not our lives they are affecting. The more objections you handle/prehandle up front, with the initial call, then the greater your chances of getting them at the meeting.

And (duh), don't you realize that having a family member with you also provides you the opportunity to cross sell to them for their health, life, LTC and DI Needs?

Hello! McFLY!

My mom will be 86 years old if she makes it to April 4th, if she is antisapating making a large purchase she seeks my advice as well as my brother's but the final decision is up to her. I come across all kinds of people just like I am sure all of you do, some seniors want their son or daughter present and I am glad to scheldule an appointment when all parties can be present; I find that a lot of times one of the children will actually convince mom or dad to go ahead with the purchase. If I need to go by a child's home I will. Wharever it takes I will stive to do; that's the only ethical thing to do, but I would say that a vast majority make up their mind for themselves. I remember asking a lady once was there any other people that needed to be involved in her buying a truck from me and she said "if you want to sell a truck in 2 weeks when my husband gets home from offshore or you can sell it now. I choose now!!

Back