AARP GA Plan

agentjhc

Guru
1000 Post Club
Discussed New Era and Manhattan with s couple today. They called back and ask if the rates went up every year. I provided them the historical data and indicates yes they do. They emailed me and said they were going with AARP because it only goes up 2.8% per year. If I am looking at their rate sheet correctly, it goes from $176 at age 65 to $191 for ages 66-69. Is that accurate? Automatically goes to the next level and throw 2.8% on top of that?

Last edited:
What plan and zip are you using?

In most of the state their F plan is mid-priced and considerably higher than either of the carriers you mention. UHC doesn't have G but their N plan is reasonably priced but higher than the carriers you mention.

AARP peddlers tell a lot of tall tales including sometimes saying their rates never go up.

What plan and zip are you using? In most of the state their F plan is mid-priced and considerably higher than either of the carriers you mention. UHC doesn't have G but their N plan is reasonably priced but higher than the carriers you mention. AARP peddlers tell a lot of tall tales including sometimes saying their rates never go up.

30752 Dade Co Ga

They are 10-20% higher to start with. According to CSG their N went up 2013-2016

Plan F

So I guess above is on the age they start. For T65 it's $176 + the rate increase.

I didn't realize AARP was Issue Age rated in GA vs Community Rated in TN.

2.8 is likely National Avg. it's easy not to raise rates much in TN when it goes up 3% automatically each yr for 10 years

Should have done my research a little better before I responded to their Email.

Live and learn.

I don't write UHC but pretty sure they are community rated in GA.

Plan F, male 65,non-tobacco

MLIC is $139 with HH discount. Bankers is the same and A rated. New Era is $144.

UHC is $166.

These folks are willing to pay an extra $20/mo to (maybe) get a lower rate increase?

At that point you should have pitched G for $113 (New Era or MLIC) vs $166 for F.

If they still wanted UHC you just missed having an *** for a client. Thank your lucky stars you didn't waste any more time on them.

New Era $95 for N and $153 for F

Manhattan with HHD $91 for N and $139 for F of course MHLIC announced a 9% increase of F for apps after 8/1.

G was in the $120 range for NE maybe $115 for MH

I checked CSG and it said Issue age in GA. I thought Comm as well. I have sold a few in TN to people that absolutely had to have company they have "heard of" but haven't sold any in GA.

----------

I can sell them a NE, MH, or UHC if they want. My guess is they will just enroll with telesales or the AARP rep they with.

New Era has HH discount (5%) in GA now.

Sounds like you really didn't have a viable prospect. Move on.

I found it interesting that in her Email she said the rate increase I mentioned worried them and they were going with AARP because THEIR PLANS ONLY INCREASED 2.8% THE LAST 2 YEARS.

Yes she all capped me.

----------

New Era has HH discount (5%) in GA now. Sounds like you really didn't have a viable prospect. Move on.
Does NE give discount if only 1 applying? The lady is staying with employer plan.

Discussed New Era and Manhattan with s couple today. They called back and ask if the rates went up every year. I provided them the historical data and indicates yes they do. They emailed me and said they were going with AARP because it only goes up 2.8% per year. If I am looking at their rate sheet correctly, it goes from $176 at age 65 to $191 for ages 66-69. Is that accurate? Automatically goes to the next level and throw 2.8% on top of that?

In Fl. their rate increases , which isn't necessarily every year ,have been less than 3% for over the last 10 years.I have been selling med supps in Fl since 1992 and have never seen a better track record for rate stability.I believe their rate stability track is very good in Ga. too.The rate doesn't go up when they turn 66 that is the entry age band. Don't just sell the lowest premium- sell the rate history and in some state AARP/UHC is hard to beat.Why aren't you certified to sell AARP too?Seems like it would be very hard to compete as a legit independent agent without them.

No, like most carriers, both must apply and have a plan in place. To my knowledge only MLIC and MOO will give a discount just for having another person on the premises that can fog a mirror.

In Fl. their rate increases , which isn't necessarily every year ,have been less than 3% for over the last 10 years.I have been selling med supps in Fl since 1992 and have never seen a better track record for rate stability.I believe their rate stability track is very good in Ga. too.The rate doesn't go up when they turn 66 that is the entry age band. Don't just sell the lowest premium- sell the rate history and in some state AARP/UHC is hard to beat.Why aren't you certified to sell AARP too?Seems like it would be very hard to compete as a legit independent agent without them.

Above I provided the rate history for AARP in GA. Similar to New Era which has been very stable over the last 5+ years and tends to be in the lower end of rates. I did figure out that the rate would be his starting point of what he entered at age 65. Then annual increases of the amounts noted above. I normally quote AARP along with others but didn't in this case for whatever reason.

As for FL, isn't AARP usually the lowest or one of lowest at most ages?

----------

Interesting CGS shows $166 for Plan F with UHC and the enrollment kit shows $176 ($174 if EFT).

Last edited:
Back