ACA ObamaCare 2018 - Rules, Premiums, Info, Etc.

Drug companies usurious pricing doesn't help. I recently talked to one person that had a transplant. The drug company pays his annual out-of-pocket so they can sell him stuff the rest of the year.

We have a problem.

Hospitals do the same thing. Its a Net Gain. Pay $15k in insurance premiums, get $100k+ back submitting claims. (although usually they do it for much larger claims than that)

And of course they do all kinds of unnecessary tests. Im having to wait a few months on placing a life insurance case because of an unexpected blood test ordered by a doctor, just to cover their a** on the malpractice side. The client told them they had just eaten 2 donuts... and the doc tells them they will "compensate for the discrepancy in their head"... and they "would feel safer if they did the test because they just prescribed a new med".. wtf?? They know the results will be off, yet they run the test anyway. Totally screwed the client on getting life insurance.... I wonder if their malpractice policy covers that...

Best part of that story, is the Doc forgot he was going to "compensate" for the donuts. Calls the guy a week later and tells him he has diabetes! Now that is in his chart!! So the client has to go back to take a real test, and have the charts amended. I couldn't make sh*t like this up if I tried, It's like something out of a Seinfeld Episode. Absolutely insane what goes on these days.

Last edited:
@sc. Malpractice doesn't cover stoopid like that. I have a friend that never had his arthritis formally diagnosed because he didn't want it on record until he was willing to replace the hip. He intentionally waited 1 yr after buying an underwritten 3 life group policy that essentially covered his family and had both hips covered for 1 OOP ($5,000 for $100,000).

Points out another problem with the system. It has holes and everyone that can games it.

@junkman: Agreed, there is an obvious problem. I also agree that the HDHP with an HSA is he best option; I do hear a lot of "I don't have the money to save in an account" though. Even without the HSA, for someone who doesn't have any chronic conditions or is younger, the lower premium with the higher deductible is usually the lower cost annually.

I would rather you not get your value back...given your options listed!

My top complaint: "I never use my insurance, and never get anything out of it, and when I do use it, I have to pay everything because deductible is so high".

Me: "Sorry you're in good health, do you want me to wish for the alternative? Would you like to speak with some of my clients who have hit their deductible to verify it's value? Will you be calling your car/home and life agent next with the same question?"

Usually shuts them up.

This insurance is worthless, I'm not dead.
This insurance is worthless, I haven't had a car accident in years.
This insurance is worthless, my home did not catch fire.

Rate increases are out, read the details, wide ranges due to change in child pricing for 15+ yrs old, lots of disclaimers about CSR payments, etc.

www.ratereview.healthcare.gov

Thanks for the heads-up YAgents! I've never seen the ratereview released so early in the year.

Must be because Trump's HHS isn't trying to bribe and threaten the carriers to lower their requests, like Obama's HHS did every year. The higher the hikes, the better the chances for an ObamaCare replacement...maybe.

Illinois Blue Cross (90% market share) is raising the rates on their cheapest plans by 38%, but only 4% on their most expensive plan..the PPO. There won't be much premium spread this year.

2018 Certification for Marketplace is now open.

I scored 200%

----------

Alaska filed for a 22% DECREASE in rates.
All 224 people will be happy.

The Department of Health and Human Services published preliminary rate requests on Tuesday, and many states showed steep increases. Media outlets look at the marketplaces in California, Alaska, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, Arizona, Connecticut and New Hampshire.

The Wall Street Journal: Some Insurers Seek ACA Premium Increases Of 30% And Higher
Major health insurers in some states are seeking increases as high as 30% or more for premiums on 2018 Affordable Care Act plans, according to new federal data that provide the broadest view so far of the turmoil across exchanges as companies try to anticipate Trump administration policies. Big insurers in Idaho, West Virginia, South Carolina, Iowa and Wyoming are seeking to raise premiums by averages close to 30% or more, according to preliminary rate requests published Tuesday by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Major marketplace players in New Mexico, Tennessee, North Dakota and Hawaii indicated they were looking for average increases of 20% or more. (Wilde Mathews and Radnosfky, 8/1)

Fun in SC:laugh:

Some interesting stuff here:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=rate+review+site:healthcare.gov&t=ffsb&ia=web

I looked at some pdf that carriers put out. They redacted all of the important data so we can't see their calculations and would have to back figure.

We shouldn't be thankful for a rate increase of "only 21%". Premiums are too high now and attributable mostly to adverse selection. BCBST allocated 14% of 21% asked for to uncertainties in Washington. I note that BC was low man last year and has the largest rate increase this for - as finance would predict.

Repubs own it now. Let's see what they get done.

Edit, looks like BCBST only wants 21% more this year. Says that 14% is due to uncertainties per DC clowns.

Let's see....last year's offer for old family of 3 = $20,600 * 1.21 = $45,526 two year premium for $5,200 ded, $6400 OOP? Nah, that don't fly.

Friend under age 65 (actual 61) formerly employed at TVA which is Federal could stay on the group plan for next to nothing. That's the plan I'd take.

Last edited:
Back