Aged Leads - How old is too old?

rousemark

Still Here!
5000 Post Club
Niota, TN
I posted another thread asking about aged leads. Ben Boman saw it and was kind enough to send me a stack of aged direct mail leads that had never been worked. He told me he had no idea how old they were, I finally got the chance to DK a couple today.. One was no longer at the address given (and the phone number didn't work) but there was a young family living there. Had been there for about 3 years. Stay at home Mom with three kids.. She invited me in and I have an appointment to go back when the husband is there so it has the potential to turning into something good.

The other address I could not locate so I knocked a neatly kept mobile home that was close. Lady answered the door and I told here who I was looking for. She said, "Well, my mother passed away but my Dad is here". To be certain I understood, I asked if her dad was "Calvin" and she said, "yes" and invited me in.

The man and I sat at the kitchen table and I learned his wife had died n March so I thought that the lead was probably 8-9 months old. The, he saw the card on my clipboard and said, "that says my wife was 69 and she was 77" I ask him how old he is and he says, "70" The card had his age as 62. The he sees the address and tells that was the trailer next door and he moved out of it seven years ago.....In other words, the lead was 8 years old!!

Asked him about his insurance and he had bought Physicians Mutual 2 yr ROP 14 months ago. Was well aware of how it worked. Had COPD, CHF and smoked so there was not much I could do for him. But then I turned my attention to the daughter, her boyfriend and their two grandchildren that lived in the house with him. Result? Two apps with grandchild coverage for $73 per month.

How old is too old when it comes to a lead?... Apparently never... even if the person who sent it in is deceased! Thanks bBoman..

8 years has to be some type of record. I think after some point it doesn't matter at all though.

First few weeks the closing rate on a lead is slightly higher then it tapers off... Then I'd say at that 4 or 5 month mark it drops again. 6 month mark drops to what it will stay at and basically it remains at that level.

So after a certain point it doesn't matter if it's eight months or two years old or even eight years.

Who knows though with so many leads out there now might as well not even mention how old it is, they probably received a card last week.

I am sorry that they were so old, but it was all I had in that county! I made sure I picked leads in the same two cities so you wouldn't be driving all over the place. But you can never go wrong with FREE DM leads ;)

Good on you for working them hard with no excuses! Agents could learn a lot from your work ethic. Hopefully you will get the entire family on the appointment you set.

I am sorry that they were so old, but it was all I had in that county! I made sure I picked leads in the same two cities so you wouldn't be driving all over the place. But you can never go wrong with FREE DM leads ;)

Good on you for working them hard with no excuses! Agents could learn a lot from your work ethic. Hopefully you will get the entire family on the appointment you set.
Hey Ben.. You don't owe me any apologies....I appreciate every one of these leads.. But you can see why I was asking about aged leads. You sent me 30+ leads October 9..Because of things beyond my control (church members having surgery, etc.) I just now had the chance to work a couple of them. If I choose to pay $30 each for "fresh" leads, many times they would be aged by the time I got the chance to work them. Thanks again!

How Long Do Most Families Stay in Their Home?

We sell $2 aged leads that are typically between two and three years old. The average person stays in their house about 7 to 8 years over the past 20 years researchers tell us. My guess is that the Final Expense crowd, because they move into assisted living facilities and other similar places, may contribute to lowering that average. I disagree with The Dude’s assessment. There is no way a 6 MONTH old lead is of the same quality as an 8 YEAR old lead. My experience shows me that the older a lead is the worse the conversion is simply because you will get in front of less people. There’s a reason why the lead price goes down the older it gets. JMO

We sell $2 aged leads that are typically between two and three years old. The average person stays in their house about 7 to 8 years over the past 20 years researchers tell us. My guess is that the Final Expense crowd, because they move into assisted living facilities and other similar places, may contribute to lowering that average. I disagree with The Dude’s assessment. There is no way a 6 MONTH old lead is of the same quality as an 8 YEAR old lead. My experience shows me that the older a lead is the worse the conversion is simply because you will get in front of less people. There’s a reason why the lead price goes down the older it gets. JMO
True you will get in front of less people that actually sent in the lead but you still get in front of about the same number of people. You just have to attempt to turn whoever answers the door into a prospect.. :yes:

Yea 8 years is a while. I don't think the percentage drops that much though. At some point it just turns into a piece of paper.

Possibly it should be a year or older being my final dropping point. 6 months might be too soon.

True you will get in front of less people that actually sent in the lead but you still get in front of about the same number of people. You just have to attempt to turn whoever answers the door into a prospect.. :yes:

With that mindset why even deal with Leads at all? You can go park your car at the end of any street in America and go cold door knock up and down the street and do silly surveys or something.

Yea I wouldn't typically work leads that are 8 years old. Rouse wanted some leads and we had some in the area he wanted so I gave them to him. The cards didn't have the age on them so there was not a way I could tell him how old they were at the time I bought them. But I think it shows that as long as an agent is willing to work hard, they could make money using any system...cold door knocking, 8 year old leads, brand new leads, surveys, etc. Of course it makes way more sense for an agent to work brand new DM leads usually, but some people's circumstances are different than others.

Any agent willing to put in the work can make this happen. Money can just make this job a lot easier than cold canvassing.

With that mindset why even deal with Leads at all? You can go park your car at the end of any street in America and go cold door knock up and down the street and do silly surveys or something.
I have canvassed for many years but I am not recommending that over leads. However, I am saying that if you get to the door and the person you are looking for is no longer there, then you might as well try to turn the person you are speaking to into a prospect instead of just saying, "thanks" and walking away.. You are already there and it doesn't take but a couple of minutes of your time. BTW, I have never done survey, silly or otherwise, when canvassing.. Don't need to.

Back