Agents Beware: Oxford Life

JoshC

Guru
100+ Post Club
Edit: Have to give credit where credit is due. Chad Knies called me back and said that they are going to make an exception, accept the case and pay the full commission. Still, for future reference, at this time they do not pay any FYC on re-writes.

Thought I'd share a recent issue I had with Oxford that turned into a big time learning experience. I had basically given up on them because of silly issues with customer service, but recently decided to give them another look and sent them a few apps. That was a mistake.

First off, the lesson: in case you weren't aware (I was not), Oxford will not pay any first year commission on a re-write under any circumstances. They will accept the case, but they will not pay you. This is their policy.

Here's what happened:

Ran across a prospect in June who had a six-year-old whole life policy that was current (meaning that he has shown himself to be a good payor) who had mailed a card in because he wanted to add coverage in October when he would start drawing social security that would add about $600 a month to the military pension he and his wife had been living on.

After looking into his policy, I discovered that he had taken out a $1000 loan and had let it go for a couple of years. He was paying $25 a month toward the loan now, which combined with his premium took him up to $110/mo. He also mentioned that he had been a little tight thanks to some recent issues. The policy had around $200 in cash left. I was able to get him a new policy for the same face as the original face of his current policy for $101/mo. Of course he would then receive the surrender value as well. He loved it, we went ahead.

First premium went through the bank fine, the second didn't. Mind you, this is a guy who had paid well on his other policy for six years, so I looked at him a little differently than some of the others we deal with.

He was in a panic because the coverage is very important to him but really worried about the financial situation until his income increase in October, at which time he actually wanted to add a little more coverage. I called customer service at Oxford, explained the situation, and asked if we could re-date or go ahead and lapse this policy then start anew in October. The guy at Oxford said I could re-write it. Based on this information, I sat down with the gentleman and after discussing the options, risks, etc. he decided to go ahead and lapse the policy and have me re-write rather than pay two months' back premium. The new policy was to be for $127/mo. for increased coverage which also played into his decision.

Made an appointment for the day after Labor Day, went out there, wrote it, got it approved. After submission I got an email asking me if I would accept the "commission adjustment" (exact phrasing) or if I would be reinstating the old policy. Since this was the first I had heard of a commission adjustment, I called again to clarify.

I was told on the phone that they do not offer re-dates after the policy has been in force (another thing FE companies should allow as many do to serve this clientele) and that the commission adjustment meant that I would receive no advance, but would be getting "as earned" commission on the new amount. This was fine with me, an advance is neither here nor there.

This conversation was recorded, and the regional manager who called me acknowledged that this is exactly what was said. Long story short, the girl on the phone didn't know the difference between "as earned" and "renewal." Oxford was going to take this case and pay me 4% commission because it had previously been in force for two months. For those keeping score, that would have been a $1500 AP that they would have paid exactly one month's FYC to obtain.

The justification I got from the regional was that history tells them that once someone lapses, they are likely to lapse again. He also tried to blame the cost of "underwriting" a final expense policy, a comment at which I scoffed. He agreed that it costs them around $100 total to process an app with the rx and mib checks. Regardless of the situation, they were not bending. I told him that their willingness to accept this premium without paying a commission on it was unethical - particularly since they weren't even going to pay on the $26/mo. increase, which as I told him is outright theft.

Worked out fine as I was able to move the client for only a couple bucks a month, but it still is another example of both the incompetence of the front staff at Oxford as well as the road blocks this company puts in place to serve a clientele that they apparently either don't understand or don't care to understand. That incompetence and their unwillingness to bend, even with evidence that their own staff contributed mightily to the confusion, cost them $200 to underwrite two apps on this case and they have zero premium to show for it.

My persistency is lower with them because they don't give us the latitude to preserve business the way some of our carriers do, and with the renewals as low as they are, it makes you re-consider why you'd bother.

Your mileage may vary, but consider yourself warned.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this info Josh and sorry you had to go through all that rediculous horse ****.

This is a perfect example of why I steer agents away from Oxford.

How many carriers actually allow an easy reissue after an initial premium problem? Only one that comes off the top of my head is Transamerica. And I bet odds are most of those rewrites don't stick either.

How many carriers actually allow an easy reissue after an initial premium problem? Only one that comes off the top of my head is Transamerica. And I bet odds are most of those rewrites don't stick either.

Quite a few, actually. I'd say SNL leads the league in this category but there are many that will allow it. This wasn't the initial premium, by the way... it was the second premium.

What companies don't allow it? I've never had an issue with any company on that. Trinity makes it the most difficult in that they want you to mail the original policy back to them.

This was a really, rally bad decision that Oxford had made. They were being way too strict on their rules and not looking at this case as being different than what their rule was designed to prevent.

I let them know that I was highly disappointed with this. I have always been a fan of Oxford and our agency (FexContracting) is one of Oxford's largest distribution channels of their FE product.

I'm happy to say that Oxford did make an exception for us and is going to pay Josh on this case. We thank them for being reasonable even if it was a little late.

Every agent needs to be aware that Oxford has a strict NO RE-WRITE policy though. If anyone in their entire lifetime has had an Oxford policy in the past and canceled it, they will not pay any sales commissions on that person ever again.

This was a really, rally bad decision that Oxford had made. They were being way too strict on their rules and not looking at this case as being different than what their rule was designed to prevent.

I let them know that I was highly disappointed with this. I have always been a fan of Oxford and our agency (FexContracting) is one of Oxford's largest distribution channels of their FE product.

I'm happy to say that Oxford did make an exception for us and is going to pay Josh on this case. We thank them for being reasonable even if it was a little late.

Every agent needs to be aware that Oxford has a strict NO RE-WRITE policy though. If anyone in their entire lifetime has had an Oxford policy in the past and canceled it, they will not pay any sales commissions on that person ever again.

They still have some "proving it" to do before I can give them this sort of endorsement. Their new business department is still among the hardest to get on the phone of all the companies and they need to get better at how they handle NSFs to help prevent lapses to begin with.

That said, yes they came through and I appreciate your help as well.

A perfect example why having a good upline is critical when these carriers pull these BS moves.

I had a case awhile back where I wrote someone Oxford and got the same email you referenced. When I called they said he had lapsed an Oxford policy three years prior (one i had no knowledge or connection to), and thus they were not paying on the case I had written because of that.

I asked the lady in commissions, how was I supposed to know he had a policy with Oxford over 3 years earlier? Thats ridiculous. She had no answer but said that I would not get paid, but would full convention credit (big deal). I had the case withdrawn as I didnt want the responsibility of being the AOR and get paid nothing for it.

Hopefully this thread will protect other agents from wasting their time while they are trying to provide for their families. I guess they expect agents to call the home office and do a SS check every time they want to write a case??

So they are big IMO friendly, just not Agent ot client friendly.

----------

I had a case awhile back where I wrote someone Oxford and got the same email you referenced. When I called they said he had lapsed an Oxford policy three years prior (one i had no knowledge or connection to), and thus they were not paying on the case I had written because of that.

I asked the lady in commissions, how was I supposed to know he had a policy with Oxford over 3 years earlier? Thats ridiculous. She had no answer but said that I would not get paid, but would full convention credit (big deal). I had the case withdrawn as I didnt want the responsibility of being the AOR and get paid nothing for it.

Hopefully this thread will protect other agents from wasting their time while they are trying to provide for their families. I guess they expect agents to call the home office and do a SS check every time they want to write a case??

Wait till you have a claim with them. Three weeks to get the paperwork and another three weeks to process the claim. Only a slight exaggeration.

Back