Allstate Licensed Sales Producer

Allstate is cutting the base pay of all agents from 10/10 to 9/9 variable effective 1/1/2013. Agents will have a "chance to make additional commission if they jump through the right hoops (# of life apps a year, enough customer survey's returned, etc) Not sure of all the variables, but i have a friend who is an ALL agent i get to hear him bitch all the time about the mess he is in.

PS Allstate originally announced 8/8 base commission last year but the agent backlash caused them to say they would commit to 9/9 for 2 years. NJ agents only get a 6/6 base and have been on variable commission for a few years

Schwetty said:
Allstate is cutting the base pay of all agents from 10/10 to 9/9 variable effective 1/1/2013. Agents will have a "chance to make additional commission if they jump through the right hoops (# of life apps a year, enough customer survey's returned, etc) Not sure of all the variables, but i have a friend who is an ALL agent i get to hear him bitch all the time about the mess he is in.

PS Allstate originally announced 8/8 base commission last year but the agent backlash caused them to say they would commit to 9/9 for 2 years. NJ agents only get a 6/6 base and have been on variable commission for a few years

Man that sucks.

So not to sound like an *** but what does 9/9 mean? 9% new commission and 9% renewal?

Man that sucks.

So not to sound like an *** but what does 9/9 mean? 9% new commission and 9% renewal?

yes it does. Most agents make 15/15 or some derivation of that as independent principals. Some are 15/14, others are 15/10, others are 10/10, some are 17/15, and a few can be 20+/15

I work for an agent using the same captive carrier. I'm am newly licensed as well.

I get $500 per week plus commissions once a target revenue goal is reached. My monthly goal is 20k in premiums and I get 10% commission once I hit 20k in premiums on everything going back to 15k. Example: if I sell 20k for the month I make salary plus $500 in commissions.

So far my experience shows they are often times way higher than any of the other carriers. Which is a hard sell. So far i haven't sold there policy and been selling policies for those who have gaps in coverage using Titan.

I get about 10-15 Internet/telemarketer leads per day and honestly there all crap; assuming you can even reach them. We are using insureme.com, net quote, tri, quote wizard, hbw leads. There is the occasional interested person but for the most part the ones who answers seems rather aggravated we even called them. We just got an auto dialer and calling on real comp mailings we seems to have a much better response rate and answer rate.

There are few tips and tricks that you need to learn to help get your quotes down and I'll share what I have learned this far. You may already know them and would appreciate any tricks you may have found along the way.

By the way; today I quoted someone today and was reasonable on auto and home. Quoted the pup and it was $787 for a 1 mill policy. What's up with that!!!! There always seems to be that one thing with each client that is way out in left field.

$787 for an umbrella policy?

What their credit in the 500's with 4 young drivers, 2-3 boats, some rentals, and UM/UIM coverage on there as well?

fusion said:
I work for an agent using the same captive carrier. I'm am newly licensed as well.

I get $500 per week plus commissions once a target revenue goal is reached. My monthly goal is 20k in premiums and I get 10% commission once I hit 20k in premiums on everything going back to 15k. Example: if I sell 20k for the month I make salary plus $500 in commissions.

So far my experience shows they are often times way higher than any of the other carriers. Which is a hard sell. So far i haven't sold there policy and been selling policies for those who have gaps in coverage using Titan.

I get about 10-15 Internet/telemarketer leads per day and honestly there all crap; assuming you can even reach them. We are using insureme.com, net quote, tri, quote wizard, hbw leads. There is the occasional interested person but for the most part the ones who answers seems rather aggravated we even called them. We just got an auto dialer and calling on real comp mailings we seems to have a much better response rate and answer rate.

There are few tips and tricks that you need to learn to help get your quotes down and I'll share what I have learned this far. You may already know them and would appreciate any tricks you may have found along the way.

By the way; today I quoted someone today and was reasonable on auto and home. Quoted the pup and it was $787 for a 1 mill policy. What's up with that!!!! There always seems to be that one thing with each client that is way out in left field.

I'm captive with another p&c company. We get 10% on all p&c and 40% on life. Plus a $550 a week base.

I don't know how the Allstate agent in town makes it. Their rates on everything are nearly double ours. Luckily our rates are very competitive. We almost always beat the big 4. I stay busy snagging their clients.

I quoted an auto the other day, the guy was paying $240 a month with Allstate, we were $125. I guess someone has to pay for all those commercials.

This is why I'm glad to be independent. I worked for Allstate and I got tired of forcing all the pegs into the round hole. It just didn't always work.

If I had to choose a company to be captive with, it would definitely be Erie, and then Nationwide second. They both do quite well here in NC.

This is why I'm glad to be independent. I worked for Allstate and I got tired of forcing all the pegs into the round hole. It just didn't always work.

If I had to choose a company to be captive with, it would definitely be Erie, and then Nationwide second. They both do quite well here in NC.

Amen brother, but Erie isn't captive. With the new agent contract you can have as many non-standard carriers as you want or take the regular contract and add who you want. I beat Travelers, Safeco, State Farm, Geico etc easily for the good drivers.

I was captive with Liberty Mutual for 3 years then saw the light. I wish I could hire someone for $8/hr and 3% commission though...

I'd KILL for an Erie appointment, but they don't like my agency setup. Same with Auto-Owners. they both say it's too invasive of other agencies since my agency operates in multiple states...

go figure, right?

I'd KILL for an Erie appointment, but they don't like my agency setup. Same with Auto-Owners. they both say it's too invasive of other agencies since my agency operates in multiple states...

go figure, right?

Invasive?!? I sell in MD, DC, VA with 8 other Erie agencies in my city I don't step on toes I dance on them it's business right?

I guess each branch office is different. I heard in the south and midwest with Erie and Auto Owners it's game over. I'm sure you will be fine regardless.

Back