Appointment Setting In Exchange for Mentoring

I’ve had my insurance license for 3 years. And, I’m licensed in all states. I was given my licenses while working for TIAA, but they never utilize them. I recently left TIAA and wanted to get started in the industry.

I recently started with Equis, but something didn’t feel right. Being new and listening to my intuition, I left after 5 days. I didn’t write any business, but they contracted me with Foresters and 1 other company.

I’m excellent on the phone and have over 15 years experience making cold calls. I’m in Charlotte, NC. If anyone could groom me in this confusing business, I’m more than willing to cold call/ appointment set in exchange for mentoring and guidance. I am willing to even be mentored by phone/ Skype.

I'm quite jaded, but I think that quality mentoring is a myth out there - perpetuated by senior agents that promise to teach you the business, but take advantage of new recruits. Of course, the companies themselves use recruiting as a way to attempt to hit their annual quotas themselves. The only real exceptions I think of, are those who are in their families and they're more apt to share existing clients.

"Hire 'em in masses, teach 'em in classes, sell all their family and friends, and then fire their ***es." Unfortunately, there's a lot of truth in that.

This is a "sticky thread" in the "getting started" sub-forum. I wrote it almost 8 years ago and have continuously updated it with new content on occasion. I'd start there. There's lots of GREAT and INEXPENSIVE resources I reference. I think it'll give you a great deal of direction to get started with.

https://insurance-forums.com/community/threads/guidance-for-new-life-agents.29999/

Thank you and I will take your advice. I’ve had several “interviews”, using that term lightly, and I got that exact feeling re:” hire’em in masses”. I’m trying to dig through the smoke and mirrors and it’s frustrating.

I agree with DHK. Mentoring is mostly a come-on and a thing of the past in most situations.

When I worked on the carrier side I was fortunate to learn quite a bit from experienced and highly successful agents. I witnessed both the good and bad of how high earners applied their trade.

Such an environment really doesn't exist any more and most of the carrier reps are not there to learn, just collect a paycheck.

I’m not lost anymore.... I’m CLEARLY LOST... lol. I love sales, loved what I was doing at TIAA. I thought I loved the industry in general. I had a great client following while there, some demanded to management that I replace their advisor. But, I was not built for that role at this point in time. Every suspicion I’ve had about the companies that I’ve interviewed with were confirmed in several videos along with advice from DHK. I need to find some widgets to sell and be done with all of this!! It sucks when you don’t know what you want to be when you grow up/

When one is "clearly lost", we need to define our direction for what we want and the vision we have for ourselves so we can find our way.

What kinds of people did you envision yourself selling to? Families? Businesses? Retirees?
What market do you have easier access to? Just because one wants to sell premium finance to deca-millionaires, doesn't mean you have access to that market. :)
What problems do the people you want to sell to have that you can help them with?

I recorded this video some time ago to help agents determine an "ideal client profile" and career path direction. I'm obviously biased, but I think it's pretty good. You just might find your "monopoly" in there to help you refine your focus.

I have a business degree with an insurance major. Something quite unique in the dark ages when I was in college. Computer rooms the size of a cottage. Massive cooling units dedicated to the computer room. Green bar paper about 30 inches wide. Hollerith cards.

You get the picture.

Or maybe you don't.

Over 40 years in this industry (almost all health insurance focused). Worked for an employee benefits consulting firm started by the former group insurance VP for a major carrier. Held various jobs as a carrier rep (group health and retirement plans). Regional manager for a stop loss MGU. Set up my own stop loss MGA and ran that for a few years before it blew up . . . no fault of my own.

Left the insurance business for 3 years. Sold home improvement, time shares, mortgage refi, carpet and a few other products for a few weeks at a time. I did well with most of these jobs but hated every minute.

Finally figured out, as bad as I thought the insurance business was it was considerably better than anything else I tried.

Came back to insurance around 2000. Did a few more things still trying to avoid my true niche. Finally found a home again in 2010 when I focused on Medicare. My only regret is the dozen + years I wasted trying to find myself.

I have built territories and companies from scratch. Earned a 6 figure income many times. Lost close to $1,000,000 when a carrier I used in my MGA went belly up. Almost got caught up in the tide but my hands were clean. Had years where I earned less than $1,000 for the entire year. Came close to filing BK. Just close, but didn't.

Been sued a few times but never lost. Spent close to $30k defending a malicious and completely bogus suit.

My life and career have never been dull but I never completely gave up.

Cal Ripken is my hero. Spent 21 years in the major leagues. Over 3,000 hits. Lifetime BA around .270. Over 400 HR's. Played in more consecutive games than any man before or since.

Someone asked him what was the secret to his success.

His response . . . "Show up"

This industry can be quite rewarding but also will beat you up if you let it. As long as you show up every day ready to work you can be a success, regardless of how you choose to define success.

Back