BECOMING INDEPENDENT

Re: Captive vs Non Captive

rpoul said:
Well then, I probably should be re-thinking my decision about who to go to work with.

2007 will start my career in the insurance industry. I have read through many of the different forums and it seems to me that most agents within are not captive. Any suggestions out there on how to start in the industry as a newly licensed agent. I want to consider the independent route however, I know there is much to learn so how does someone get the training and knowledge they need during their first year in the business? Also I know I need continuing education each year as required by my state to maintain my license how do you get this education while being independent?

Learning the plans is the easy part. Generating business is what kills everyone. You need to come up with a marketing plan and it needs to including generating your own exclusive leads.

john_petrowski said:
A great way to lose your friends is put them in the very uncomfortable situation of having to buy something everytime you get a sales job. Just let your friends know what you're doing. If they're interested they'll approach you. I have my sister and brother on health plans, but they asked me for help after I knew what I was doing. I most definitely am NOT giving ANYONE my friend's or family's contact information.

AMEN!

Re: Captive vs Non Captive

Why do you need exclusive leads if you are independent? Can't you offer so much more with options?

Re: thinking about the captive route myself

rpoul said:
Is it common for a company to ask you to list all family and friends as possible clients. I am not comfortable with this.

Now let me put this straight, you shouldn't have to turn over your list to anyone as it being your list. All marketing plans have to start somewhere, and likely it's going to start in your warm market that includes your circle of influence. What is at dispute is how do you use this list?

I agree, you don't want to sell to family and friends unless they ask for help. Yet, I can't imagine them not wanting to help you in your business for the most part. So what is it about this list? Hopefully, as in most cases if you write down your family and close friends. Then you move into friends, associates and people you do business with.

Your family and friends will provide great word of mouth advertising, such as to their friends, family and business associates etc etc.. Now you're not selling family and friends but you should enlist them in your army of word of mouth advertising armed with business cards that is only if they don't mind, some will some will not, it shouldn't be an issue at all. Yet if they offer to help don't turn them down! Now that you have your family and close friends spreading the word your list should still have aleast 200 more names of casual friends and people you do business with.

For these lucky few they will be your test market as in flyers, newsletters and so on. If you mail them out literture I would place a greeting card explaining them what you are doing. If they respond, not so much too buy but to give you encouragement and maybe a long overdue "Hello", ask them for possible referrals you can mail out flyers, newsletters and so on, remember not to sell just as a base of advertising, most won't mind if they trust you! As you see with little effort you should be able to create a list of hundreds if not thousands of potential client base. That is the proper use of ones warm market!

Hi James,

Thank you for your input. If I know that I will get to use my list as you suggested, I would not have a problem with this. I'll have to find out a little more about how they would have me use the list.

rpoul said:
Hi James,

Thank you for your input. If I know that I will get to use my list as you suggested, I would not have a problem with this. I'll have to find out a little more about how they would have me use the list.

I'm reasonably sure most Agencies and Companies of any reputation wouldn't micro manage your list. If they do, that is a sure warning sign you don't want to be there!

Does anyone know where I begin to find carriers(P/C) that will work with me as an independent agent?

After reading througn this forum it seems it is impossible to get quality carriers to allow you to sell thier product lines if you dont have a book to bring over. I have signed a no-compete with my current company and cant touch the book for 24 months. But Im making no money cause the agency pays terrible commission. I gotta get out of this situation and into the independent world as soon as possible. HELP!

It is a scary making the move from captive to independent. I am about to do the same thing myself. I am looking at the different contracts out here for the best commissons. SO IF ANYONE FEELS THEY ARE GETTING A GREAT CONTRACT FEEL FREE TO SHARE!;)

Back