Best way to bring clients to you when you are starting from scratch

If you look sketchy, Jehovah's Witness, or Mormon (sorry David), cable, phone or internet then yeah you'll probably get run off. But if you look like an average, well dressed person who can have a conversation and not read from a script, then I'm sure you'll find some success.

And quite frankly, all the people I mentioned that would get run off? They must be having some success or they still wouldn't be doing it either. The questions are, how good are you, and how dedicated (hungry) are you?

For Mormon missionaries selling "after-life insurance" (if you really think about it), there's a secret: It's not about the two missionaries knocking on the door. After a short introduction, it quickly becomes about "their coworker is Mormon" or "their neighbor is Mormon" or "I saw The Book of Mormon musical". The Mormon/LDS community is indirectly selling others by our example.

How Gladys Knight Became a Mormon | LDS Living

But for everyone else, our job is to look presentable, and to bypass ALL the pre-programmed responses that untrained words create for us.
- "How are you today?"
- "Is the owner in?"
- "Are you the homeowner?"
- "I just got involved in..."

Can you FEEL the no coming just because of these words? You have to be better than that.

Here are some quality videos that you may find helpful:

Last edited:
With everyone sitting behind their computers, phones, (anti)social media, etc. I think BECAUSE of those things, that door knocking is more effective than ever.

If you really take a look at it from a bigger picture, any type of marketing that fosters more of a "real connection" is an improvement, but it applies to online lead generation too. Imagine you go online looking for car insurance, find a local agent, then go to the site. If you can only call, odds are you won't. If you can call or fill out a form, you may fill out a form. If you actually see some content written by the agent/agency talking about specific issues (i.e., "how do I get good rates on a teen driver", "what are the best discounts", "how often should I compare coverage", etc) and they actually engage with the content, that's when you can really start getting traction. It's a LOT easier to get that connection in person (at least for most people), but that same mindset belongs in every piece of marketing.

I think door knocking appears desperate. I'd prefer my agent/financial advisor to be too busy for that. It's all perception I guess.

Make sure you don't read this article then:
The Key To Getting Your Practice Running Like A Well-Oiled Machine - Insurance Selling Magazine

This very thing happened to me and, as always, I had a business card in my shirt pocket. I approached him and asked if he was in the insurance business. He said “no,” so I said, “Thank God, because I am. Here’s my card. Now you’re supposed to give me yours.” He smiled and dug a card out of the car. I asked if he would be angry with me if I called him for brief chat. He did not object.

Do you have such an abundance of prospects that you would never do such a thing?

You all make valid points, and while I am not knocking those who have been successful, or ultra-successful as you so pointed out, I'm merely speaking from a consumer perspective who if someone I didn't know knocked on my door, I absolutely wouldn't answer... but that's just me.

For those who find success for it, more power to ya!

You all make valid points, and while I am not knocking those who have been successful, or ultra-successful as you so pointed out, I'm merely speaking from a consumer perspective who if someone I didn't know knocked on my door, I absolutely wouldn't answer... but that's just me.

I won't disagree on that either. 99%+ of those who have knocked on MY door suck at it. I've had solar panel guys knock on my door to sell me solar panels... and I've already GOT them. (They couldn't tell by looking at my roof?) Some over-complicate their words and misrepresent themselves. (One guy said he was part of a "green energy task force to help revitalize the neighborhoods that are over 20 years old." I actually asked him if he was from the government. The guy was a joke.)

But if we keep our message simple and learn how to ask for permission to give our introduction and that introduction focuses on what we do for people (rather than just our products)... it can be more effective than what the vast majority of people do.

You never know what you might miss out on if you don't open the door. It could be Publisher's Clearing House. :yes:

Ooh, I have a good one.

A young lady gets home from work, and goes straight to the shower. She takes her shower, dries off, and starts getting into her robe. Before she has a chance to put the robe on, the doorbell rings.

"Who is it?" she yells.

"The blind man" the voice responds from the other side of the front door.

Not bothering to put on her robe, she heads to the front door. Who cares she says to herself, he is blind.

Naked, she opens the door. The salesman looks up from his clipboard and smiles. He holds up a sample of wooden blinds. "Want to buy some blinds?" he asks with a great big smile.

Last edited:
You can buy leads. Otherwise, utilize that search of yours on Facebook and see what you can find. You can also use chat bot to capture potential leads. To stay in the game, create contents that draws people to your videos or post then funnel them into leads

You can buy leads. Otherwise, utilize that search of yours on Facebook and see what you can find. You can also use chat bot to capture potential leads. To stay in the game, create contents that draws people to your videos or post then funnel them into leads

Please tell me more about how to ruin a search on Facebook and tell me more about chat bot.

Thank you

Back