Best Web Host and Website Builder

You don't need to pay a lot of money for a custom website design these days....as a good WP theme with the right plug-ins will do more for you anyway.

The reality is that the more you read and learn about seo, website design, etc.. the more you realize that most website designers don't know what they are talking about.

Get a good wp theme and write good content and promote it.

Definitely don't need to pay a lot of money. And many (most) designers probably don't know as much as they tout. (Of course, that applies to a lot of people around here!!!!!)

But the combo of a website and WP has WP alone beat. And good designers that don't charge an arm and a leg are available. AS always, anybody can PM for details. And no agenda here folks!

Now get outa here.

Last edited:
The reason static html plus wordless does have a marginal advantage has to do with load speed related to opening and then polling a mysql db that is often shared by hundreds of users and has a 151 instruction limit where some moron might be trying to do huge outer joins that take 4 minutes and lag the whole mysql server, vs an operation that doesn't use mysql.

I noticed a huge speed difference when I moved everything I manage, which is read over 100 sites now off a vps that was shared onto a server where I basically know everything going on.

Google does pay attention to load speed of websites, and all other things being equal faster is better, wordpress isn't inherently slow but a mysql server can be screwed by 1 *** with a single 30 line piece of stupid code.

And personally I think the 3 other guys in this thread know quite a lot yourself included, and it's a pretty diverse range of skillsets.

People like my niece are left out in the cold. Anyone selling anything doesn't listen to her:

"I'm a college student, really don't have much but need a site"
"Ok, we have this $600 package and...."

"Umm, you didn't listen. I'm a college student and just need a web presence."
"Ok, so you don't need 1,000 backlinks and our super-duper SEO kit which means it's $500 for...."

"So you don't want to listen. I'm a college student and just need...."

....and this is where I can help. And I charge nothing.

ksig...I really don't know much about the technical stuff.I rely on guys like you, Val, Alston, Mark, Dave etc...

John...You are a help to first-timers and that's a good thing. But you know nothing about my website as evidenced by your incorrect observations. In my opinion those that ultimately want to reach the top (Most of them) have chosen other options.

So...the point of this thread? Gee...I don't know. I guess...if you want a free WP blog...go for it! If you want more...Go for it!

WebNanny was not used in this post
WebNoAgenda was used in this post

You would not want to contact me at all if what you're looking for is SEO. Not a shot. You also don't want to contact me about websites or your goal in any way shape or form is to drive traffic to your site. Paying someone knowledgeable is money well spent and there are quite a few people on this board with insane levels of knowledge.

However, if all you're looking for is simply a web presence and either don't have or don't want spend money, I'm your guy.

Ah ed and john tho, you're both being modest about it.

I had a guy a lot smarter than me once, who i still use when I need help, hes a guru on php/mysql and server config, probably top 10 in the country.

I said something to him about me not really being an expert, because it was dumb to say I was an expert when I knew people like him and the few other handful I know exist.

His response was, "Does your **** work?" I said yeah. He said "well there you go, you're an expert. The difference between an amateur and an expert is, the amateur's **** doesn't work."

I sort of thought about it, the point I think is, everything in computers changes so fast, that knowing everything is not only pointless, it's impossible. In some way or another, I'd call all 3 of you in this thread experts, we all just have different skillsets.

I think the difference between an expert and a non expert comes down to ability and speed you can embrace failure when it occurs and fix the problem. It also helps tremendously if you know when you need help, and where to find it, and can understand what the person who is trying to help is saying.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
You would not want to contact me at all if what you're looking for is SEO. Not a shot. You also don't want to contact me about websites or your goal in any way shape or form is to drive traffic to your site. Paying someone knowledgeable is money well spent and there are quite a few people on this board with insane levels of knowledge.

However, if all you're looking for is simply a web presence and either don't have or don't want spend money, I'm your guy.

Oh, I'll do the same thing and sell them the hosting, and put the site up, etc. I can't remember what I was charging for it but I basically charge 50$ an hour for anything, its about an hour long job plus the hardware and domain name costs. I'd be happy to set up wordpress sites with properly configured plugins, a custom banner, and tweaked css for 100 bucks with the year of hosting included, set up, and just give the person the login, and do content piecemeal if they wanted the pages made for them.

$100 for hosting on a kickass server with properly configured wordpress with a custom banner and help on it is probably higher value that you get for $600 dollars running around the internet looking for a "developer" who is really just a graphic designer.

I can't name the time I ever looked at a website that was made really pretty by someone and the code/seo end was correctly done just by the very basic w3c compliance rules for tags and how the information is supposed to be marked up.

I've been trying to write together a e-book about the tag use in a very simple way, without getting into all the other code, just for people using wordpress so they mark up the text in a way that gets it better results with google.

Last edited:
Oh, I'll do the same thing and sell them the hosting, and put the site up, etc. I can't remember what I was charging for it but I basically charge 50$ an hour for anything, its about an hour long job plus the hardware and domain name costs. I'd be happy to set up wordpress sites with properly configured plugins, a custom banner, and tweaked css for 100 bucks with the year of hosting included, set up, and just give the person the login, and do content piecemeal if they wanted the pages made for them.

$100 for hosting on a kickass server with properly configured wordpress with a custom banner and help on it is probably higher value that you get for $600 dollars running around the internet looking for a "developer" who is really just a graphic designer.

...then please contact me Brooke - [email protected]

I guess its a good time for a newbie question...i did my hosting with namecheap.com as they had even better reviews than godaddy...bought the $80 theme and having John show me how to mess with it later on...as stated I'm a p&c guy and want presence...think just precense...this guy is formal enough to have a @yourcompany email address and has a website ok he's legit...I dont envision much business being done if ever through my site.

should i have done a bit more research on my hosting company or will namecheap.com serve my purpose? also here is the theme i purchased...I think its very nice looking...will also post my business card design which cousin did for me for free :)

http://www.studiopress.com/themes/executive
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Last edited:
Back