Best Web Host and Website Builder

executive is a good theme. if there's something you dont like, such as the nav bar, font, font size, you can always use css and some js to change that.

I guess its a good time for a newbie question...i did my hosting with namecheap.com as they had even better reviews than godaddy...bought the $80 theme and having John show me how to mess with it later on...as stated I'm a p&c guy and want presence...think just precense...this guy is formal enough to have a @yourcompany email address and has a website ok he's legit...I dont envision much business being done if ever through my site.

should i have done a bit more research on my hosting company or will namecheap.com serve my purpose? also here is the theme i purchased...I think its very nice looking...will also post my business card design which cousin did for me for free :)

Executive Child Theme by StudioPress
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anyone is better than godaddy. They support SOPA and PROTECTIP, until there was a boycott against them. They want to monopolize the internet. They can go pound sand, I won't buy a damn thing from them ever again cept for aged domain auctions that I can't buy elsewhere.

namecheap is a registrar, expersrs is also good, there are a few more.

For hosting I have no idea what they do at namecheap.

yeah well it seems like it was a mistake to do domain and hosting (interenet read) at the same place...so im going to transfer my hosting to hostgator that seems sufficient for my needs...don't host at namecheap...seems like a pita

yeah well it seems like it was a mistake to do domain and hosting (interenet read) at the same place...

Not always. It depends on the company. I register all my domains with PairNic which is a division of Pair Networks where I host all of my domains and have a dedicated server.

I find after many years of experience that in both registration and hosting you get what you pay for. There are exceptions where some really cheap companies do a good job on both, but most often if you want good service from the registry (especially when you want to renew or make some kind of change) it will cost you more than $6 a year. It is even more true with web hosting.

PairNIC and PairNetworks is very expensive compared to the GoDaddies and 1n1's of the industry.

Some of you know that I spent 25 years as a software engineer (I still keep my hand in with jaya123.com.) I've been with Pair and PairNIC for 8 years now, so that says something about them, but YMMV.

Al
My website is here.

$19/yr for domain registration....wowzers!

I guess they are the Jordan's of basketball sneakers!

You have a good point. But maybe take the following into consideration, if just for a moment.

A client can go to that insurance company with reptile as its spokesperson and get cheap insurance... probably one who has a call-center in Albania (Peggy?) when client calls about a claim. Or he can go to a good agent who will put him with a different company that costs far more but who will really "be there" when he cracks up the car.

In my experience, good insurance is never cheap and cheap insurance is never good.

Another example for consideration.

You can buy two suits, one from Macy's the other from Nordstrom. They are exactly the same. Macy's is $600, the Nordstrom price for the same suit is $680.

At Macy's you will have a surly $8 an hour sales rep who hates you because you can afford the suit you are getting, you will get crappy tailoring, they will tell you it will be done next Monday but it won't and they won't call you to save you a trip. When you do pick it up there will be a different sales rep who could care less about you.

At Nordstrom the salesperson will treat you like royalty, he or she will be trained to some degree in fashion and will suggest very acceptable shirts and ties and shoes to go with the suit, some of which you will be happy to buy... you want to look good when you are talking to a managing partner of a law firm seeking a large buy-sell or key-person policy. The tailor will be a professional, the work will be first-rate, done on time, and if you can't pick it up the sales rep will bring it to your office if not too far away. That extra $80? He got that as his commission. If you were happy with the buying experience he earned his $8 an hour and his $80 commission.

“The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.” -Aldo Gucci

If you were talking about hosting you may have a point, but it's just registering a domain name. It shouldn't cost $19.

If you were talking about hosting you may have a point, but it's just registering a domain name. It shouldn't cost $19.

Again, another good point. However, most people don't understand that the registrar provides a lot of important services in the background that you never see, but if they don't do them well (or they screw them up) no one is ever going to find your website or send you mail, no matter where you host it.

And if the registrar is sloppy, you are going to face a nightmare when/if you ever decide to change hosting providers.

This is a fairly good explanation of some of the behind the scenes stuff that your registrar provides you.

Understanding Domain Name Registration - And How to Choose a Good Name

and...

10 things you MUST know before you register a domain name with anyone

I'm not justifying Pair's price... I'm only saying that their registration service and the people who work there are very good and very responsive. (Same with their data center, obviously.)

I'm sure you can pay less and get just as good service. But I know for a fact you can pay less and get terrible registration service (and anyone who ever had to deal with Network Solutions when they had the monopoly on domain registration back in the 90s knows what I'm talking about! Doing a transfer from one host to another was worse than root canal!)

$19 vs. $10 a year? For nine bucks I sleep well at night knowing that they won't $#@!-up the DNS and WHOIS entries such that no one on the planet can see my site (not that big a deal) or send me email (which IS a big deal!)

You might find this little story interesting... and I hope you avoid what this guy went through:

Domain Name Registration Problems

and you might read post 5 and forward here:

1and1 Domain Registration Problem - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum

Think of the extra you pay for domain registration from a "good" company as "insurance" against things going "bump in the night." You all understand the concept of insurance, right? :laugh: :yes: :D

Looking at the conversation what comes to my mind as a consumer is what is more expensive is not always better...but "usually" (loosely used) is.

The tough part as a consumer is being educated on every single purchase we make, and if being more expensive really does make item A better than item B. It's good to know Al, that there is a difference in what you pay for when it comes to domain registration...I always thought it was all in the same.

As soon as you emailed me and said that you already got hosting at namecheap I was like "rats." You'll do better at Host Gator and as you can already see, setting up the WP blog is rather easy.

Back