Biggest Losers on Supreme Court's Obamacare Opinion?

Other than supplemental plans, I do not sell health insurance anymore. However, I do remember people were decrying the advent of medicare saying ti would put health insurance agents out of business.. Then, the leveling of commissions and the standardized plans were supposed to be the death of that market.. I suspect companies and agents will find a a way not only to adapt but to prosper with PPACA. When it comes to matters involving the wallet both the companies and the agents can be very tenacious. :yes:

As is stands today in CA for IFP, navigators will be paid $58 per enrollment in the exchange by the exchange. Agents will be paid commission for individual exchange sales but it has to come out of the carrier's pocket and not the exchange's pocket.

CA IFP carriers cannot pay more commission outside of the exchange than inside (to avoid adverse selection) so they will have to arrive at a compensation level for agents that is essentially identical in or out. This could be a % commission or a flat PMPM.

The other 57 states, who know. I would expect some to do the same thing.

$58? What a joke...

$58 is for the Navigators, not agents. Agents cannot be Navigators in California they are expressly prohibited.

Agents get commission inside and outside of the individual exchange, not the $58.

in and out.. interesting.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Not all agents or brokers will be the loser in this. I admit that many will lose, but there is still a hugh market for the group business, starting somewhere around the 20 and over size...maybe a little higher. Individual and the under 20 is probably dead for agents/brokers.

under 20 dead? why would you come to this conclusion.

I recently met with the largest insurer in Pa and was told in person they want agents involved going forward. They also informed me that there would be approximately 25 plans to offer in and out of the exchanes with many options to choose from. The insurer expected the small group market to be hit hardest with many disbanding to jump into the individual marketplace. I asked about commissions and they felt commissions would be cut but that it would be a flat per month commission for the entire life of the policy and envisioned agents paying closer attention to thier clients needs. They currently pay flat per month commission but it drops after the 1st year.

Last edited:
I suspect companies and agents will find a a way not only to adapt but to prosper with PPACA. When it comes to matters involving the wallet both the companies and the agents can be very tenacious. :yes:

Let us now know how that is working out in the states that have guaranteed issue now and many of the other reforms in Obamacare. Howz that working out for independent agents there?

I am in one of those states so am not going to replay the tapes. Gotta love the "prosper" part. Maybe the independent agents here from those states who are doing well can tell us about it.
obot-11632282524.jpeg

Last edited:
Won't the biggest losers be the working poor who WERE healthy enough to qualify for health insurance already but just couldn't afford it?

Now they STILL won't be able to afford it but will have to PAY an additional TAX for NOT buying and they still won't have health insurance. I'm talking about the states with no expansion of Medicaid. Now they will have no health insurance and LESS household income.

Am I wrong in my thinking?

Last edited:
in and out.. interesting.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

under 20 dead? why would you come to this conclusion.

I recently met with the largest insurer in Pa and was told in person they want agents involved going forward. They also informed me that there would be approximately 25 plans to offer in and out of the exchanes with many options to choose from. The insurer expected the small group market to be hit hardest with many disbanding to jump into the individual marketplace. I asked about commissions and they felt commissions would be cut but that it would be a flat per month commission for the entire life of the policy and envisioned agents paying closer attention to thier clients needs. They currently pay flat per month commission but it drops after the 1st year.

This will all be situational and there will be areas where the exchange business will be good for the under-20 or so market. But keep in mind, that there will be a much smaller market available from which to write business. I probably should not have used an absolute statement that made it sound like all under-20 is dead.

Won't the biggest losers be the working poor who were healthy enough to qualify for health insurance now but can't afford it?

Now they still won't be able to afford it but will have to pay an additional TAX for NOT buying because they can't afford in the states with no expansion of Medicaid.

It's not a TAX it's a FINE... oh wait.

Back