"Canned" Presentation or Not

Sales is really that easy. Memorize a great presentation, stick to it word for word, & have great enthusiasm every time.

There was this guy that was brand new to sales. He taped his manager doing a presentation then went home and mimicked it. The words, expressions, body language... everything.

His first full week out of training he sold 23 deals. The all time record was 25.

You laugh, but you'd be surprised. Years ago when I co-sponsored a dinner for a particular medical association, my presentation was to follow the pharmaceutical rep's presentation.

Well that guy was a moron. He couldn't figure out power-point, so when he advanced his slides, it would end up starting over from the beginning! Half the room left before I and the senior agent got the chance to speak. Never did that crap again.
I've seen new guys do that while training them. That's where the visuals like flip charts or brochures that Rouse mentioned come in. They don't have to start from the beginning..just the beginning of the page. :laugh:

When I started a lot of folks were using the You will Earn a Fortune presentiment along with the booklet that was prepared for it. National Life and Accident had one called "Have You Made Your Fortune." Where YWEaF was geared to retirement savings, ours was geared more to total needs.. As long as I used that, I was always among the leaders. I am will that after all these years, I can still recite it almost verbatim from start to finish without the presentation book.. If I had the photos to jog my memory, I have no doubt I could do so. I wish someone would publish it with up to date photos and figures.

Sales is really that easy. Memorize a great presentation, stick to it word for word, & have great enthusiasm every time.

There was this guy that was brand new to sales. He taped his manager doing a presentation then went home and mimicked it. The words, expressions, body language... everything.

His first full week out of training he sold 23 deals. The all time record was 25.
When he went on appointments, did he take the tape recorder with him and just play his manager's presentation every time? That would really be canned. :laugh:

When I started a lot of folks were using the You will Earn a Fortune presentiment along with the booklet that was prepared for it. National Life and Accident had one called "Have You Made Your Fortune." Where YWEaF was geared to retirement savings, ours was geared more to total needs.. As long as I used that, I was always among the leaders. I am will that after all these years, I can still recite it almost verbatim from start to finish without the presentation book.. If I had the photos to jog my memory, I have no doubt I could do so. I wish someone would publish it with up to date photos and figures.
You should do it! You seem pretty computer literate.

Here's something that hits close to home.

Started door to door, no leads cancer sales. We had a script and presentation book that was about as canned as they come. At one point I was making sales in the middle of the night while presenting to Mr. Sandman. :SLEEP:

A great tool for new agents and old alike. Like the great Mort Utley used to say, "Mrs. Jones doesn't know what she is going to say, but with this talk, you know exactly what you are going say to Mrs. Jones no matter what she says."

A canned talk does the following:
  • Gives the agent confidence in what to say, how to say it, and when to say it
  • Keeps him/her from heading off in the back 40
  • Sets up smoother transitions and recognize when and where to pivot
  • Focuses on good well placed quetions
"And you know what I've recently learned?"... it kept me from giving up too quickly

"How would you feel if"... using a canned helped you become a better sales professional?

"Wouldn't it be important to you"... to have a good canned sales talk (Smile and shake your head yes while speaking.)

I have tweak the door approach a tad, but it sounds just like what I've used since I started.

Good thread for new agents to digest... and old ones to reconsider. :yes:

Thanks for the post Rose!

Sure would like to read a copy or the-article he wrote for Life Insurance Selling.[/QUOTE]
Sure would like to read a copy or the-article he wrote for Life Insurance Selling.

Latest posts

Back