CMS Will End the PCIP Broker Referral Payment Program in Federally Administered PCIP States As of Ma

I wonder if any brokers have actually RECEIVED their compensation yet for business referred to PCIP..... I wonder if CMS will release the agents from the authorizations brokers had to sign allowing the govt to investigate every aspect of their lives.....

I wonder if any brokers have actually RECEIVED their compensation yet for business referred to PCIP..... I wonder if CMS will release the agents from the authorizations brokers had to sign allowing the govt to investigate every aspect of their lives.....

I have.....took a while but got paid on a couple of case's earlier this week.....

You're funny. (sales filler)

Unbelievable, leave it to the gov't to pull this out on Friday the 13th.

They must be running low on that $5 billion allocated to PCIP. We "underestimated"..............blah blah

I'll bet the total comp paid out for all agents combined was under $100k. That would be .002% of $5 billion...good thing they no longer need us. Fine by me though, working this program was probably the worst thing I've ever done for $100 commissions...

From NAHU:

Late this afternoon, NAHU was asked by representatives of the federal Department of Health and Human Services to participate in a closed conference call about the future of the Preexisting Condition Insurance Program (PCIP). During the call, NAHU was informed by Steve Larsen, the director of the Center of Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight (CCIIO), that effective May 1, 2012, the federally operated PCIP program would be discontinuing their practice of paying licensed agents and brokers for client referrals made to the program. This decision will not impact state-operated PCIP plan payments to brokers, nor will it impact referral payments on cases placed with PCIP prior to May 1. In addition, effective May 1, PCIP will no longer accept letters from providers as evidence of an individual having a catastrophic medical condition, which is one of the requirements for PCIP participation. The rationale provided by HHS for these changes is that the program’s rapid increase in enrollment (400% growth over a year, including a 25% increase in the last few months) makes the need for additional outreach efforts unnecessary at this time.
In a follow-up written communication to NAHU, Director Larsen wrote “This [PCIP decision] has no connection whatsoever to our view of Exchanges and the important role agents and brokers will play, and should not be viewed as such…Of course, PCIP is a temporary bridge program - Exchanges are a long term change and we fully anticipate the role for agents and brokers to be as we have discussed in the past. We look forward to our work together on both these programs.”
NAHU is extremely disappointed that HHS has decided to discontinue its formal relationship with brokers through PCIP at this time, since producers are such an important source of coverage information for millions of Americans. While we are gratified that PCIP has experienced recent enrollment successes, we are sure that there are many consumers out there who still could benefit from both this program and the advice and counsel of licensed health insurance professionals. NAHU members have been long-standing supporters of high-risk pool programs both at the state and federal level for years, and we know that thousands of our members have referred individuals to PCIP both through the formal agent referral program and also outside the program for no compensation. We hope that agents and brokers continue to direct potentially eligible individuals to this program, as it is important source of coverage for many citizens in dire need of healthcare coverage.

1) Now that agents have done what the govt could not do alone, they don't need you any more

and/or

2) They are running out of money and don't want any more sick people.

Was reading an article earlier today on how the various trade groups are fighting to keep the agent involved in the exchanges.

How much you want to bet we will be treated the same way if and when the exchanges are established.

Back