Cold Calling and more!

Hey Bob,

I am in Georgia and have a few things I could email you that we give and train our new guys to cold call with. Down here we consider cold calling as going door to door to businesses and telemarketing as per the phone but I do have a few things that would break the ice in cold calling if anyone is interested.
Merritt

would like to see wat u use well for cold calling for life insurace ages 30-65 [email protected]

One technique that I used is to ask for the business owner as though I'm a friend of his. "Hey, this is Ben. Can I talk to Bob for a second?"

Note: to do this you MUST know who the Business Owner is. Calling and saying, "This is Ben, can I talk to the owner, please?" is the kiss of death.

You have my sympathy! :cry: Quack! Quack!

I agree. Tough place to start. I guess everything else will seem easy after the duck.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
From what I've heard, you shouldn't try to sell or prospect on the phone; rather, you should aim for an appointment. True or not true?:goofy:

This is the way I learned the business 22 years ago. I don't sell ANYTHING over the phone because there are usually a lot more people at the location you're going to whom you can sell as well. I don't do business insurance. This method has worked great for me in people's homes. I don't meddle with what works.

Dont get me wrong, if they call me to buy I'll get a commitment over the phone and still go there with the hope of picking up some more lives. A referral called me today for 3 life apps. Ended up with a total of 7 tonight at the appointment.

Last edited:
I think you will find varying responses to your call for "cold-calling" advice. Many agents regard cold-calling as door-to-door, while others think telemarketing. Always ask "what do you mean by cold-calling?" Take advantage of your status as a newbee, you will be cut some slack. Old schoolers will assume door-to-door because that's the way they cut their teeth. More recently (since the invention of the "talking tube") those who make unsolicited phone calls are said to be "cold-calling".:D

All seriousness aside, where you get into trouble is trying to determine the regulations in instances where non-insurance people use professional jargon they know nothing about and incorporate it into laws. CMS is a good example. Door-to-door solicitation is forbidden, but making telephone calls to set appointments is encouraged. Both are "cold-calling" stategies, but one is illegal and the other not. Sometimes bulletins will be promulgated that use the term "cold-calling" and will raise a ruckus because the nim-wits making the rules don't know what they are talking about. JMHO.

Well actually, with CMS you cant solicit door-to-door or over the phone. You may set an appointment over the phone only after the prospect has initiated contact with you somehow.

Im not trying to nitpick with you Im just bitter about these rules because Medicare was my bread and butter. Keyword "was".

Back