Cold Calling and more!

From what I've heard, you shouldn't try to sell or prospect on the phone; rather, you should aim for an appointment. True or not true?:goofy:

When you get that client on the phone, why let them go by making an appointment, anyone here can tell you the chances of getting them back on the phone drop dramatically.

Now if you're talking about making a face to face appointment, that's different.

Many agents on here only sell over the phone so I'm sure they wouldn't agree with the method of setting an appointment.

From what I've heard, you shouldn't try to sell or prospect on the phone; rather, you should aim for an appointment. True or not true?:goofy:

Not necessarily. Your goal may be to make an appointment as mine initially is but I have found that many people will ask just to handle it over the phone.

When I get a prospect, not a client they already have insurance with me, on the phone and can engage them in a conversation I know that I'm "half way home". I make my recommendations and tell them up front how much the premium will be. Usually a lot of conversation ensues during that time.

If I sense I have someone who is genuinely interested after explaining the benefits, why I think it is the best match for them, reading the health questions to them and letting them know what the premium is I will try to set the appointment.

In the process of attempting to set the appointment I tell them that I will be more than happy to come to their house or I say "we can just handle this now over the phone and I will mail you the application". More and more people I talk to say that they would prefer the app in the mail. (Would you want to sit and talk to an insurance agent for two hours when it can all be done by mail? haha)

I talk about their "busy schedule" and the convenience of not interrupting their day. I just mention the appointment but put heavy emphasis on the convenience of receiving the app in the mail. I always ask them to call me when the get the app so I can answer any additional questions.

More and more people I talk to seem very comfortable with doing it by phone and mail. The tone of your voice, the timing of what and how you say things as well as the willingness to provide excellent service and doing so in a calm soft spoken way I think adds a lot to them having confidence in you.

Ask for the appointment with the intent of handling it over the phone and by mail. Works for me.

Well, my trainer has suggested calling the companies existing p&c clients to sell them life insurance to cover their mortgage. I call the client to schedule a phone appointment for my trainer to call them, then he can set a face-to-face appointment. Seems like a big pain in the a$@ to me!

You call the client to schedule an appt. for your trainer to call them again ?.......Sorry, I think your trainer needs a trainer.... Is your trainer a "legend in his own mind"? Very few of my clients would have the time for that type of BS.

Well, my trainer has suggested calling the companies existing p&c clients to sell them life insurance to cover their mortgage.

Not a very compelling concept.

It has about the same appeal as a root canal appointment...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
When you get that client on the phone, why let them go by making an appointment, anyone here can tell you the chances of getting them back on the phone drop dramatically.

If you've done a complete and thorough job of qualifying them, and they are worth spending your time with, you shouldn't have any trouble getting them back on the phone, if necessary.

Last edited:
Sound enthusiastic and don't read it as it will sound stale! good luck!

I agree you shouldn't sound stale or half-dead, but there is a fine line. I find enthusiasm can scare the person on the other end. After trying many approaches, I just talk conversationally and see where it goes.

wow it surprises me that aflac is not spoon feeding you,
because being captive most agencies will give you leads and scripts

Where do you get your list of numbers to call? Does the agent you work for provide them for you? If no, where do you search for them?

Back