Cold Calling Help

Thank you everybody for your advice.

Moonlightandmargaritas, could you be kind enough to share some advice and suggestions?

By the way, it's not that I don't want to get muscle sores from training in becoming a professional athelete. Sometimes those pains are addictive. I'm just looking for a hot shower solution that could make the pain easier in cold calling.

Sure happy to.

Who are you calling, and what is your offer?

PS- Google that Rumbauskas stuff. It's great.

I take it in stages and gradually qualify more and more through the call.

When I call I tell the prospect that there are new health plans on the market and they could have 30% or more. All I need is their email address and I'll simply send the information so they can see their options.

After that I get "sure, send what you got" or "no thank you." If it's no thank you I'm done.

For the "sure, send it people" I say Ok, what's your email. After that I say "would you like me to also send the rates?" If they say not to the rates it's basically over - just tire kickers.

If they yes to the rates I say "no problem at all. I just need the ages of everyone who will be on the plan." They give me a ages. They I say "just need your home zip code, etc..."

You get the point and now it turns into a conversation and I'm out of script mode. I want to know about their health status and who they current have as a carrier.

This is when people will either talk or they won't. If I'm just getting one word answers there's not much there. What I'm looking for is this:

Me: "So who's your carrier?"

Prospect: "Don't even get me started." Then they proceed to bitch about claims or the rates.

People like to talk - they don't like to listen to pitches. So after the pitch and you've ascertained some basic interest just start asking questions.

Invest a few bucks in the following two books by Frank Rumbauskas, Jr. -
"Never Cold Call Again" and "Cold Calling is a Waste of Time".

You will learn techniques that are much more powerful and effective, not to mention not burning you out.

Good luck!

Agreed. Also look into Joe Catal's book Telesales Tips From The Trenches: Secrets of a Street-Smart Salesman"

I just finished that book and their are some gold nuggets that I'm implementing.

Invest a few bucks in the following two books by Frank Rumbauskas, Jr. -
"Never Cold Call Again" and "Cold Calling is a Waste of Time".

You will learn techniques that are much more powerful and effective, not to mention not burning you out.

Good luck!

Okay, so let me ask you this as I have others. How does an Agent prospect or get appointments? If Cold Calling doesn't work, if Cold Walking is a sign of desperation how is an Agent much or less a New Agent suppose to get those appointments so he or she can use those principles behind "Never Cold Call Again"? Now don't get me wrong, I think Frank has some wonderful advice but, I don't how or haven't yet figure out how he would have an Agent or New Agent prospect?

I went through this forum very briefly and could not find a lot of information on cold calling. I was wondering if somebody could give me some pointers.

Man, talk about being tough to please...j/k Type in telemarketing and/or cold calling in the search function and you'll have about a week's material to read.

I understand I will face many rejections because all of a sudden the whole world has every plan out there when I start calling. I am fine by that.

Change your perspective that you will get MANY appointments and slap the person in the face who told you to think like that! There is not one single person in the world who offers exactly what I offer. It's a matter of perspective and self belief. Brian Tracy does an excellent job at articulating that point.

Hang ups before I even finish saying my name are discouraging. But my main concern is facing rude people. People that will lead me on and make me think they are interested. They ask products and talk on and on, and all of a sudden out of no where wham out a DO NOT CALL EVER AGAIN and hang up. Or I'll hear people in the background shouting, just tell him to shut up already.[/QUOTE]

John and Paul already illuminated why most people get pissed off at cold calls and I concur.....Their comes a time when you have to just walk away and not take things personally. Remember, their not rejecting you as a person, just your offer. If you're concerned about being led on than you haven't qualified the person enough or need some help with your pitch and sales process. You probably heard the "If I can, would you" sales line.

If I can save you $100 a month (insert other line here) would I be able to earn your business?" I LOVE that line and use it all the time anytime I want a direct answer without coming off as being adversarial.

Some people use the word could, but I don't like that because it doesn't allow people to open up as much as the word would does. Additionally, could is as a bad as saying why to somebody, as the latter automatically puts somebody in a defensive position. Go pick up a book on communication and effective listening at a undergraduate or higher level for other good bits of information. Their is a major difference between listening and paying attention..

Pick up a copy of Jacques Worth (as well as the books Paul and I recommended) telemarketing to learn about effective ways to help a prospect more easily say yes or no w/out wasting your time.

Things of those nature, I assume I will overcome eventually with time (at least I really hope so). One of those calls every now and then is "tolerable" for me. But a few in a row starts shattering my confidence. When I call, I feel like I am not as productive and efficient as I can be, as I seem to be spending more time trying to "regroup" myself and build up my confidence level again.

With practice and practice you're confidence level will increase. I have to mentally pump myself up and do behavioral conditioning before I get on the phone. Look into the book Sales Call Reluctance, read it, be honest with yourself and then take the test and work on what needs to be remedied.

Coule somebody provide me any tips or advice on how to cope with these situations? Or should I just try to shake it off, dail another number and eventually grow out of it as time passes?

Jack Daniels helps, but that's another story.

Okay, so let me ask you this as I have others. How does an Agent prospect or get appointments? If Cold Calling doesn't work, if Cold Walking is a sign of desperation how is an Agent much or less a New Agent suppose to get those appointments so he or she can use those principles behind "Never Cold Call Again"? Now don't get me wrong, I think Frank has some wonderful advice but, I don't how or haven't yet figure out how he would have an Agent or New Agent prospect?

I never said that cold calling doesn't work. It's just not as effective as other methods. It also puts you in an inferior position to the prospect. In the end everyone burns out on it as well. These brutally outdated methods are what have led to a 98% failure rate for new insurance people.

That being said, new agents may need to resort to it to begin with, but they should be working their way off it ASAP. They should be seeing anyone that will see them in the beginning - they need the practice - and the only thing that will improve them is reps.

As you get further along, can you really say that you want an appointment with anyone? I'd rather they learn some qualification skills. Is the goal appointments or sales?

Alternatives are unlimited! Here's a handful:

1) flyer distribution
2) seminars
3) emails
4) newsletters
5) speaking engagements
6) space advertising
7) direct mail

It's only limited by your imagination.

PS-I walk the talk. Once I applied these principles, the business became easier and much more fun. I had 4 calls this morning from prospects looking to buy what I sell. THEY CALLED ME. I average 6-7 a day.

How many hours of cold prospecting would it take to match that result? (hint-there's not enough hours in the day!)

Absolutely true Paul - no one's gonna cold call for a living. It's very high burn-out.

Cold-calling - either telemarketing or B to B is a great way to get off the ground cheap. But it's NOT for most effective long-term method to running your business.

Let's face facts - most agents (well over 90%) come into this business without the necessary marketing money. For those agents it's telemarketing or B to B to get off the ground.

When I was new I cold-calling most of the day every day. Now I do occasional B to B and have more of a focus on local marketing. I talk about B to B as a fantastic way to generate business and it is - for new agents.

For senior agents it's a great supplement lead source. There's no harm in going out for few hours a week.

But get a business mind and re-invest. Once you've off the ground invest in your community with the things Paul listed.

Can't be a crybaby, sounds like you're dwelling on the negative past, even if your ear lobe is still vibrating from that last slammed phone a moment ago. There's what, several hundred million people in America (I didn't say documented Americans) that you haven't called yet, and you're moping about some folks who had some cruel fun with you that you'll probably never see again for the rest of your life? If that were me, I'd march myself to a corner and get a good hold of myself, start whispering some sweet nothings to my dialing finger if she'll be good to me on these next few calls, loosen the jawbone a bit, then go back to the pit. I like some lighthearted comments from senior-advisor-indiana about wiping your feet on someone's doormat before inviting yourself into their home and opening your jacket a little to show the concealed weapon in case the client's a little reluctant. PS-I'm a newbie and haven't yet sold one policy :yes:

.... Hang ups before I even finish saying my name are discouraging. But my main concern is facing rude people. People that will lead me on and make me think they are interested. They ask products and talk on and on, and all of a sudden out of no where wham out a DO NOT CALL EVER AGAIN and hang up. Or I'll hear people in the background shouting, "just tell him to shut up already." ...........a few in a row starts shattering my confidence. When I call, I feel like I am not as productive and efficient as I can be, as I seem to be spending more time trying to "regroup" myself and build up my confidence level again. .....Could somebody provide me any tips or advice on how to cope with these situations? Or should I just try to shake it off, dail another number and eventually grow out of it as time passes?

If your new, cold calling is probably the best way to get off the ground, or at least a supplement. When you have a full schedule, 25 meetings scheduled over the next 5 days, then you decide how to keep it full from there.

In cold calling there are two approaches, general and product specific. I use a product apporach. I'm sure either life or health will work. I've sold a $12,000 annual premium life policy off a complete cold call in my first year. However, I think the odds are in your favor to lead with health insurance to smalll business owners. In fact, you can intermingle both if you like (see below).

I never get hung-up on my intro. You have to break pattern and not sound like everyone else. Also, as stated above, talk conversationally. Here is my exact script I used today:

"Hi, is John available?"

"John, this is Delta calling. You wouldn't recognize my name, I'm calling you as a cold call and I'm not very good at making these kinds of calls, would it be okay if I take a minute to tell you why I called, then you can decide whether or not we should talk further?"

Virtually everyone says yes. How many telemarketers sound like that, human. A few will say there busy, ask for a time to call back. Then look for pain:

"I work with health insurance benefits. I've talked to alot of business owners lately frusterated with how high their premiums have gotten and I wanted to find out if that's a concern of yours?"

If yes, find out more. If no, "thanks for your time."

If you think you can help, close for a meeting: "John, would it make sense for me to take a look at your plan? If I can help, I'll tell you, if I can't, I'll tell you that too. What do you think?"

If you want to probe both health and life, go for it:
"I work in to areas, the first is health insurance....(if that one misses, go for life). The other area I work in is life insurance, do you currently have a policy more than 5 years old in place?"

You get the point. Bottom line: Don't sound like every other caller and be conversational. You will still get ALOT of "no's", however, you will increase your odds. Believe me, it works.

Back