Cold Calling Help

For us you just have to tough it out. We mostly handle WC and all are guys get shutdown at least a few times a day. when your calling 100 or so businesses a day there will be that percentage of a-holes haha. Dont let it get ya down, its just part of the Biz! :biggrin:

I may be new to the insurance and securities business, but I'm not new to sales. I was taught the old school way and it was never me. I loved sales, but I didn't like the sales scripts, sales techniques, objection handling etc...it was not real to me.

I came across another way besides trying to sell my solutions using worn out scripts and getting the same negative responses. Toughing it out, always asking the questions (being in control), being motivated/enthusiastic, blah, blah, blah...is old school and that breeds negativity. People are expecting it and when they hear it, it's over, no matter what you are selling.

I hate to give away this secret, but if any of you are open to looking at another way to approach people that takes away the pitch and becoming a problem solver, I suggest for you to take a look at Ari Galper's trainings. His approach blows away the myths of sales.

I have been using his training for the past several months with business and personal interactions and the results are very good and have brought in more sales because of it.

I hate to give away this secret, but if any of you are open to looking at another way to approach people that takes away the pitch and becoming a problem solver, I suggest for you to take a look at Ari Galper's trainings. His approach blows away the myths of sales.

I don't know if it's true, but I've been told Ari's approach is watered down Sandler training. Whether watered down or not, I think your absolutely right that this is a more enjoyable way to sell for both the salesman and the prospect. Since I started Sandler, I've actually ENJOYED selling.

It's no secret, your prospects have a system that the traditionalist plays right into:

Prospect's System:
1. Withhold Information
2. Steal the Salesman's Info
3. Commit to Nothing
4. Disappear (no longer answer or return calls)

The traditional salesman falls right into the role:
1. Need Analysis
2. Presentation
3. Trial Close
4. Chase

Until you can break the prospects pattern, which has worked hundreds of times with the previous salesman he or she dealt with, you will be in a subservient position. That's not fun! You shouldn't be chasing people and definetly not overcoming objections. Overcoming objections is the hard work, let the prospect do it. If you haven't read it yet, get the book, "You Can't Teach a Kid to Ride a Bike at a Seminar" by David Sandler. If you like it, see a Presidents Club trainer. It is one of the top business decisions I have made.

Sounds very similar to "High Probability Selling"...

I'm not very familiar with the HPS system, so I can't give you much insight there.

I don't know if it's true, but I've been told Ari's approach is watered down Sandler training. Whether watered down or not, I think your absolutely right that this is a more enjoyable way to sell for both the salesman and the prospect. Since I started Sandler, I've actually ENJOYED selling.

It's no secret, your prospects have a system that the traditionalist plays right into:

Prospect's System:
1. Withhold Information
2. Steal the Salesman's Info
3. Commit to Nothing
4. Disappear (no longer answer or return calls)

The traditional salesman falls right into the role:
1. Need Analysis
2. Presentation
3. Trial Close
4. Chase

Until you can break the prospects pattern, which has worked hundreds of times with the previous salesman he or she dealt with, you will be in a subservient position. That's not fun! You shouldn't be chasing people and definetly not overcoming objections. Overcoming objections is the hard work, let the prospect do it. If you haven't read it yet, get the book, "You Can't Teach a Kid to Ride a Bike at a Seminar" by David Sandler. If you like it, see a Presidents Club trainer. It is one of the top business decisions I have made.

Ok, you've got me curious, how do we break the traditional cycle?

My general approach is:

1. Probe
2. Agitate
3. Call to action
4. Task (referral)

But this spills over from my days as an organizer. It seems the sale is more consultative rather than product-benefit. This method has me asking tough questions and makes it hard for the prospect to withhold info, and he does most of the talking.

I'll check out Sandler and see what he has to say. I know for Ari, his mentor is his dad who was a psychologist. His approach is simple and different, but it works. I use every day to change my mindset because the old sales techniques are so ingrained.

Ok, you've got me curious, how do we break the traditional cycle?

It's something that I can't teach in an internet forum, but it's explained well in the book (although reading the book only is like pissing in the ocean and trying to get the water level to rise). That being said, here is the general process:

1. Up-Front Contract: set the ground rules for the meeting, give each other an out at the end of the meeting if it's not a fit. Agree to have a short conversation at the end to determine the next step.

2. Pain: this is the core component of the process. You help the client discover his or her pain. No pain, no sale. The challenge is to get the prospect from logical to emotional, by letting the prospect get there through the questions you ask. It's not the typical traditional tie-down questions, it's a consultive approach.

3. Budget: determine if the money is there, if not, it's over.

4. Decision: what's the process, who's involved, timeline

5. Presentation: show how you can help

6. Post-Sell: avoid buyer remorse

If you do a good pain, budget, and decision steps, the presentation will take only a few minutes. It's a relaxed consultive approach that puts the salesperson in control. If the prospect isn't a fit in the core three components, the process is over, and both sides feel good about it.

That's the 10,000 foot summary. The actual ways of closing off each step and doing it effectively is where the training comes in.

#2 is where a lot of agents waste time. If there is no need there is no sale. Agents make the mistake of creating need when no need exists.

There needs to be a time during the call when you shut up and let them opine. It it's just dead air because they won't talk, it's over.

You might thing $420 is a horrible rate for that family of 3 since you've run the numbers and see you can save them $100 a month. But it's not good enough for you to think they're rate sucks - they need to think their rate sucks.

And this is where agents spend a lot of wasted time following up with uninterested prospects. New agents see leads who don't have current coverage and drool - not realizing yet that people without coverage are hands down, the worst leads.

Most prospects are non-conversational. You both know when you're on the phone that the prospect is doing everything they can to end the call. It's either a quick "man, it's a bad time" blow off or they will not engage in any kind of conversation.

You can tell those people "you're at $580 and you can easily save 30%" and they reply with a "umm hmmm" or "that's fine, just send me some information."

Move on with those people. There are too many sales myths that with an outstanding presentation everyone is a potential client. No - with an outstanding presentation you'll land the interested people. You will never land the people with no interest.

Back