Cold Calling Trick

Going off of what has been said here earlier, it's also important not to ever put down (at least until you have some sort of relationship) the person's current carrier. If you go into the conversation saying "State Farm is so expensive here, plus they are terrible on claims" you immediately pit them against you.

A better technique is to agree with people's rebuttals. Example:

Customer: "No, I have State Farm, and they've always been good to me."

You: "You're right, State Farm is an excellent company. In fact, that's why I'm excited to discuss this with you, because we are looking for people that are responsible, care about quality, and take care of their property... (continue with the sale)"

Going off of what has been said here earlier, it's also important not to ever put down (at least until you have some sort of relationship) the person's current carrier. If you go into the conversation saying "State Farm is so expensive here, plus they are terrible on claims" you immediately pit them against you.

A better technique is to agree with people's rebuttals. Example:

Customer: "No, I have State Farm, and they've always been good to me."

You: "You're right, State Farm is an excellent company. In fact, that's why I'm excited to discuss this with you, because we are looking for people that are responsible, care about quality, and take care of their property... (continue with the sale)"

I do the same. I always tell them the company they currently have is a great company. It really throws them off balance.

Especially when comparing a life policy from State Farm with one you are offering with a more specialized life insurance company.

I say all the time: "State Farm is a great/wonderful/fantastic auto insurance Company".....but what I am offering you here is a product from a top rated company that SPECIALIZES in life insurance......let's look at the differences...."

It never makes you look good when you badmouth another company....or agent for that matter.

A sale is made at every approach/presentation. Either they buy what you're selling or you buy their objection. The trick is to know when it is best for time management purposes to be the buyer.

The best prospect that I ever had was the one I was in front of at the moment.

The best prospect that I ever had was the one I was in front of at the moment.

Spot on. I totally agree, the best prospect is the one you are currently talking to. I don't use "tricks", if one has to "trick" them into buying a policy they probably aren't going to keep it very long.

I educate them using factual information presented logically so they can understand it.

Always under-promise, over-deliver !!! Can't go wrong! Part of the value of experience is knowing who/what to trust in making promises. (And if it is not in the contract, don't expect it, don't promise it)

Back