Compensation

What company do you work for? So far my managers tell me to just let my warm market know what im doing. They repeatedly say "don't try to sell them" just simply let them know you can help so they can pass your name along.

They told me the same thing, J-B. I was told to represent what I was doing as "getting the word out" and asking to "practice" on my friends. But then the info gets taken back to the office, and people start sizing-up the info to see what products fit..... so it really is a sales-call-by-another-name, right? Doesn't this fall into the category of "I'm not pissing on your back---its just raining"? Thats why I keep coming back to that theme. There seems to be an accumulating pile of evidence that what I am being told is not really what is going on.

Now.... in fairness let me also report something that I saw last night in our office.

Once a week we have a Cold Call Clinic and the newbies stay late. I went search for one of my fellow newbs and found him in a conference room being raked over the coals by two vets. To anyone watching it, the event would have seemed like a pitiless and sadistic badgering of this poor guy. But the fact is that the individual I saw has been there less time than have I, knows the products better, and is building his skills rapidly. It really made me wonder if I should set an appt with the Branch Manager and lay my cards on the table. Once again I wonder if the guy is going to shoot straight with me, or just observe that "maybe this isn't the business for you."

Best Wishes,

They told me the same thing, J-B. I was told to represent what I was doing as "getting the word out" and asking to "practice" on my friends. But then the info gets taken back to the office, and people start sizing-up the info to see what products fit..... so it really is a sales-call-by-another-name, right? Doesn't this fall into the category of "I'm not pissing on your back---its just raining"? Thats why I keep coming back to that theme. There seems to be an accumulating pile of evidence that what I am being told is not really what is going on.

Now.... in fairness let me also report something that I saw last night in our office.

Once a week we have a Cold Call Clinic and the newbies stay late. I went search for one of my fellow newbs and found him in a conference room being raked over the coals by two vets. To anyone watching it, the event would have seemed like a pitiless and sadistic badgering of this poor guy. But the fact is that the individual I saw has been there less time than have I, knows the products better, and is building his skills rapidly. It really made me wonder if I should set an appt with the Branch Manager and lay my cards on the table. Once again I wonder if the guy is going to shoot straight with me, or just observe that "maybe this isn't the business for you."

Best Wishes,

It sounds like the door is quickly closing on your career and you don't even know it. This guy followed directions and is learning and improving. You are still d***ing around about your Project 200. You better hope the manager really likes you as I bet you are already trying his patience and you aren't even on contract yet.

I'm not sure you have been keeping up on current events.

I had my P200 done and handed in within the first two days.

There is nothing I have not done that I was asked to do.

In fact, I am doing my OWN product training, memorizing my own scripts, making my own calls and appointments and at night I study for my Series 6 exam --- in short I have kept moving forward even in the absence of support. I would simply like to know why it has to be like that. I'm good enough to be goaded about disclosing and using my warm market, but I'm not good enough to have my partner and my mentor work with me on a regular basis.

Don't you think I have an explanation coming?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

I would simply like to know why it has to be like that.

Not sure who gave you the idea that life was fair, but it's like that because that's the way life is. The folks that can adapt to those circumstances (sometimes called "emotional intelligence") tend to do well. The others generally fail - and then blame someone else because they haven't embraced the concept of "personal responsibility".

Not sure who gave you the idea that life was fair, but it's like that because that's the way life is. The folks that can adapt to those circumstances (sometimes called "emotional intelligence") tend to do well. The others generally fail - and then blame someone else because they haven't embraced the concept of "personal responsibility".

OK, M&M....lets go with that for a second.........

A person desiring a career in an industry ought reasonably expect that responsible individuals will consistently relate what they say to what they do. Ironic-ly the entire Insurance Business is based on this simple premise. If, within the space of three weeks, a variety of individuals do not deliver on what they say they are going to do what conclusion is a reasonable person to draw? I am more than a little familiar with the concept of Emotional Intelligence. I also know that the average Human Being has a limit to the number of times and the extent to which a person's flexibility is tested. I would also point out that while one expects to be tested to extremes working with clients I think a reasonable and prudent person would nominally expect that the company and its personnel would have the individual's back and strive to see that person succeed. Thoughts?

BTW: "Fairness" (my word) need not factor in. I am simply speaking of people expressing a certain level of Integrity comensurate with their position.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Last edited:
So Bruce, you are at a crossroads. One path leads to success, and the other to failure. One is barely trodden and overgrown, the other is well beaten and easy to follow. Which path are you going to take? I can tell you which one you seem to be on, but hopefully you already know that.

Most managers "failed up" into management.

Managers make LESS than good agents/advisors.

So, most managers parrot what they've heard others say and do "to be successful".

That's why things are the way they are at most agencies.

They're quick to criticize and quick to judge, but in many cases, it's the "blind leading the blind".

Also, in ALL selling job interviews, it's important to interview the company as much as they are interviewing you. You probably never heard that before. You need to be sure that it will be a good fit for you as much as you will be a good fit for them.

I've been through many interviews with various companies. Most don't seem to have a clue, nor can they demonstrate true competence for this business. They follow their scripts of recruiting and expect magic.

I'm glad I found a good company/mentor combination where I'm going. He proved to me that he can help me be a great producer and that he truly knows the real world of this business.

Some people are not comfortable being a predator. Life insurance, unlike other insurance, is sold by meat eating predators. We get hungry, we hunt something down and kill it.

There are other meat eaters that wait for someone else to kill something before they eat. They stay hungry.

Get your ass out there and start killing something. Even if it is small. Get an app or two under your belt. If making your first sales does not get your juices flowing. Get a real job.

"get a real job!"

- I love the truthiness in the above proclamation -

Life and health insurance (especially over the phone) is a race to the bottom for price:deductible ratio; you close now or you lose to the next guy who is 5 bucks a month cheaper -

Killer instinct aside - the agent is still in a helping role - The client often needs an agent to help them pull the trigger.

OK, now wait a minute...... wait just a second......

Am I to understand that the ONLY way to make a living in selling Insurance is to be predatory? I find this really hard to believe.

I keep hearing stories about greats like Feldman and Levi and how they had a knack for getting people to trust them. Is what I am hearing that these guys were essentially masters at hiding their predatory natures from the consumer?

So all those guys who are successful, are successful by viewing the Consumer Public as just so much meat, is that right? What happened to all of that talk about "appropriate for the client"?

I think I can be forgiven for wondering who is selling what kool-aid to whom. Thoughts? Comments?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Back