Dave Ramsey Endorsed Local Provider

My objective in this post was to see if any others were ELP's. The majority of the leads I get are from very decent folks that aren't koolaid drinkers, and some very successful folks as well. He originally partnered up with a Primamerica/AL Williams guy and I think that is where he developed the "trash value" views. His organization doesn't get into my business that I do outside of his leads and they are aware I do estate planning and often use permanent ins for liquidity. I don't always agree with him, my point is that his listeners have become great clients and I have a very high closing ratio with his leads. Not trying to start a term versus permanent argument, most professionals underatand there is a place for both.

I'm glad it's been a good lead source for you and I'm glad you're more open-minded about various insurance options. However, when a guy has such a rigid, unyielding view towards a product beneficial for many situations the criticism is inevitable.

Dave Ramsey probably wouldn't be a good fit for you. I have discovered that most of his listeners are Christians as is Dave, thus the reason he is on many christian stations. His leads are really great and I have met some really wonderfull folks through his sytem.
Noticed your CSA emblem, do you think that designation helps you in your practice, and do you think your senior clients have any idea what the designation entails?
When I first looked at the program i didn't see much to it, maybe it has changed.

While this may be incorrect, I assume that the Christian station would spend a good amount of time trying to convince me that God actually exists.

I don't spend any time trying to convince people to give up their beliefs and become an Atheist. I don't like other trying to convert me to their beliefs.

As I said, since I haven't listened to the station, this impression may be incorrect.

Rick

I'm sure it's geared towards practicing Christians.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you're an athiest that doesn't try to persuade and convert. There are athiests like my best friend's father, who I just happen to know does not believe in God from something my friend once mentioned. Then, there are the O'Hares and Newdows of the world, who are more in your face and intrusive than any religious person I've ever met.

Dave Ramsey probably wouldn't be a good fit for you. I have discovered that most of his listeners are Christians as is Dave, thus the reason he is on many christian stations. His leads are really great and I have met some really wonderfull folks through his sytem.
Noticed your CSA emblem, do you think that designation helps you in your practice, and do you think your senior clients have any idea what the designation entails?
When I first looked at the program i didn't see much to it, maybe it has changed.

You might be right but one does not have to be a Christian to be an honest, caring person. I have many clients of many different religions and there has yet to be a problem.

As far as the CSA, the course itself was interesting and in fact emotionally difficult for me. I took the course just after my mother's stroke and found it hard to "stomach."

However, the CSA has done nothing directly for my business except that I tell people that I'm a "Certified Senior Advisor, not some guy off the street." Makes me feel better - don't know about my prospects or clients.

Richard,
I didn't mean to infer that you weren't honest, if I did I apologize. The Ramsey group is very Christ centered, that would be the reason I wouldn't think someone with a opposite view than their view would fit well, it wouldn't if it were my company. I read an interesting boof a few years ago when I was dealing with a brain tumor that was written by a former atheist. He was a reporter for The Chicago Tribune, Lee Strobel, and he wrote "A Case for Faith" and" A Case for Christ". He interviewed many experts on both sides of the fence and tried to come to a conclusion if there was enough evidence to prove these cases. Check it out. BTW, I'm not trying to be in your face I respect your view.

While this may be incorrect, I assume that the Christian station would spend a good amount of time trying to convince me that God actually exists.

I don't spend any time trying to convince people to give up their beliefs and become an Atheist. I don't like other trying to convert me to their beliefs.

As I said, since I haven't listened to the station, this impression may be incorrect.

Rick

Interesting. So, assuming that's what you believe about that station, one can only assume that the people who listen to that station are of the same mindset, right? Please explain just how you think you could relate to the leads you would get from that station? Surely those leads would be people who believe in God. So when a lead arrives, would you tell people you are an ELP (or whatever they are called) for Dave Ramsey? I would think these people would assume that you are a Christian. But then again, if you don't have those beliefs, the chances of you becoming an ELP are probably slim.

On a side note, since you don't believe there is a God, how do you think we got here as a human race?

Interesting. So, assuming that's what you believe about that station, one can only assume that the people who listen to that station are of the same mindset, right? Please explain just how you think you could relate to the leads you would get from that station? Surely those leads would be people who believe in God. So when a lead arrives, would you tell people you are an ELP (or whatever they are called) for Dave Ramsey? I would think these people would assume that you are a Christian. But then again, if you don't have those beliefs, the chances of you becoming an ELP are probably slim.

On a side note, since you don't believe there is a God, how do you think we got here as a human race?

I am not woman either, but I have no problem working with them. Do I need to be a Christian to be a trusted advisor to a Christian.

I believe in science. Christians believe that God put us here. As far as my beliefs, god is simply a theory. Evolution can be proved. God can only be "proved" by asking "prove there is no god." You can't prove something exists by asking for proof it does not.

My intent was not to get into a religious discussion. I will put my ethics up against ANYONE. One does not need to believe in a god to be honest and ethical. Jerry Fallwell believed in god and professed to be a Christian. Yet he stated that Aids was god's punishment for being gay. He also said that 911 was caused because of our lifestyle. I'll take open and honest anytime over closed minded and bigoted.

If you want a religious discussion, open an new thread. I'll be happy to have a respectful, honest "argument"

Rick

I am not woman either, but I have no problem working with them. Do I need to be a Christian to be a trusted advisor to a Christian.

I believe in science. Christians believe that God put us here. As far as my beliefs, god is simply a theory. Evolution can be proved. God can only be "proved" by asking "prove there is no god." You can't prove something exists by asking for proof it does not.

My intent was not to get into a religious discussion. I will put my ethics up against ANYONE. One does not need to believe in a god to be honest and ethical. Jerry Fallwell believed in god and professed to be a Christian. Yet he stated that Aids was god's punishment for being gay. He also said that 911 was caused because of our lifestyle. I'll take open and honest anytime over closed minded and bigoted.

If you want a religious discussion, open an new thread. I'll be happy to have a respectful, honest "argument"

Rick

Rick,

Get the chip off of your shoulder. I never once stated nor implied that you weren't honest and ethical. Do you need to be a Christian to be a trusted advisor by a Christian? Absolutely not. My point was, since Dave Ramsey is a Christian, if by some chance you did become an ELP, a lead may speak to you about their beliefs or ask you what church you go to, etc. How are you going to respond? I don't think Dave Ramsey will risk his reputation that way. He doesn't know you from Adam. Oh wait, you don't believe in Adam. How about, he doesn't know you from the ape at the zoo (that was meant to be a joke, don't get mad about it).

As for evolution being "proven", not when it comes to human beings. Evolution is a theory. Nothing more, nothing less. If we evolved from apes, why aren't we seeing it happen today? I have no idea of the research you've done, but there are some good books out there that debate the topic. Bluemarlin mentioned the author Lee Strobel. Great reading. Josh McDowell was an attorney who set out to prove Christianity wasn't true. Read some of his stuff. Seeing that you're are open-minded and all, I'm sure you have no problem hearing other points of view.

And thanks for characterizing us all by the words of a few (Jerry Falwell). Is it ok for me to characterize you by the words of a few atheist? Of course not. I'm not that shallow and narrow-minded to believe that all atheist think and act alike. Nor should you be that all Christians think and act alike. Christianity is about faith and a relationship. It's not about religion. We're not perfect. And there are a lot of hypocrites out there. Too many pharisees. It is a journey that, if earnestly sought after, changes a person over the course of time. When you encounter someone that is truly Christ-like, it's amazing. Someone that is not judgemental, but challenges you to think in ways you've never thought. Someone that doesn't throw people away because they aren't perfect. Someone that can relate the relevance of the scripture to every day life. Someone that's not lost touch with the "real world". Yet, someone that is human and still makes mistakes. My bet is that you have a narrow view of what Christianity is about. And the Christian community hasn't done much to change that. But there are some that are true and genuine. And there is a new generation that isn't looking for rigid religion, but genuine relationship. I hope you find someone like that one day.

I'll stop here as this thread isn't about Chrisitanity. Again, I don't think anyone here is questioning your honesty and ethics. So please quit defending yourself in that area.

I think that it is important to have a thread for Dave, and making it a debate is not going to help. Rick is right, if you want to discuss this, lets make it a new thread.

Before I end this discussion in this thread, please understand I am not suggesting anyone questioned my honest and/or ethics.

If I gave that impression, I apologize. I don't have a chip on my shoulder, its just that I find it difficult to express myself without being very "short."

I enjoy this type of discussion but believe it belongs in another thread. I've had many discussion with clients about my beliefs and those beliefs nor discussions have never hampered my ability to write insurance.

Most of the people I know are opened minded and frankly, everyone posting about this have been quite fair to both sides. I haven't felt any personal attacks and trust I haven't made anyone feel attacked. If hope I haven't offended anyone.

Rick

Back