Direct Mail isn't for everybody

I did a mailer for the first time in years, and the results were about what I expected. I got about 15 responses, and only got one of those on the phone, and it was a no go. However, I requested the phone numbers where available, and out of the first fifty that I called, I set three serious appts and wrote three life apps, and two of them asked about dsnp plans.

I've come to realize, that if you're not willing to door knock these mailers, calling from a list is better for some people. I actually pick up more sales from the cold calls than some people get off of dm. I was told that this is foolish to think it will work long term, but I've been doing it for eight years, and it still works. I'm not really a final expense agent, but it pays pretty well, even if you just pretend.

I like the thread, but also to be noted, 15 of course is a very small sample size. And you're comparing the results to something you have 8 years of practice and development in mastering, the cold call appointment approach. Unless most new people are DM appointment scheduling machines, I'd imagine that approach takes time to master as well.

I like the thread, but also to be noted, 15 of course is a very small sample size. And you're comparing the results to something you have 8 years of practice and development in mastering, the cold call appointment approach. Unless most new people are DM appointment scheduling machines, I'd imagine that approach takes time to master as well.

Point taken, but I think the door knocking must be essential to getting the most out of the leads, I just haven't been able to make myself do it. Cold calling is much easier for me, I mean the worst thing a person can do is hang up on you, and frankly, of those that answer the phone, that doesn't happen very often, they're usually polite.

The DM people that I used were probably not the best. I think the two in that office share a cell phone that only works half the time. I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't get all of the leads either. Not going to gay bash them on the forum by name though, I'm sure they're good people when they're asleep.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Agent called me this AM wanting to know how I generated leads. After sharing my "secrets" he wanted to know how long to get to $X in monthly commission.

About 3 years, maybe longer.

If you have a lot of $$$ to pour into lead gen might be able to cut that time in half.

He said he needed $$ quicker.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Agent called me this AM wanting to know how I generated leads. After sharing my "secrets" he wanted to know how long to get to $X in monthly commission.

About 3 years, maybe longer.

If you have a lot of $$$ to pour into lead gen might be able to cut that time in half.

He said he needed $$ quicker.

I get similar calls and emails wanting to know how to do this business without buying leads or how to work a book of business.

When I tell them it took years to build and filter out my book they wants something quicker. Kinda hard to work a book you don't have.

Point taken, but I think the door knocking must be essential to getting the most out of the leads, I just haven't been able to make myself do it. Cold calling is much easier for me, I mean the worst thing a person can do is hang up on you, and frankly, of those that answer the phone, that doesn't happen very often, they're usually polite.

The DM people that I used were probably not the best. I think the two in that office share a cell phone that only works half the time. I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't get all of the leads either. Not going to gay bash them on the forum by name though, I'm sure they're good people when they're asleep.
When I first worked FE using DM leads, I was taught to doorknock them all first, then call the ones you couldn’t catch. I was also taught to pay the extra $ to get the entire mailing list and cold call them. Of course back then there was no DNC list, caller ID, or doorbells with cameras! But I still think calling the non-responders on the mailing list (as you are) can be effective.

Back