Does Agency Name Matter?

Seems blue and white is dominant in the life industry. I wonder why that is?

Look up what colors represent in nature, and the emotions they invoke in us, and you will understand why.

Red and white cause us to focus and draw our attention. For the most part red and white occur only two times in nature. When something is being killed you may see blood and bone which means it's time to eat, fight, or run - three of the most important things in survival. The other time is when something is poisonous. Again, time to pay attention. So, they make powerful advertising colors.

Blue is most people’s favorite color, which is why you see it often. Why blue? Blue skies means no rain to run and hide from. Good times ahead. That's why people like blue. Probably ties in with safety, happiness, etc. Every color provides an emotion, and most of them we have been able to tie to a directly correlating survival reaction from our early days.

I think it matters if you want your clients to find you online.

Ideally your domain should match your agency's name.

It should be easy to spell.

It must be unique but should still be memorable.

It should not have homophones. (Is it greeneagency.com or greenagency.com?)

Look up what colors represent in nature, and the emotions they invoke in us, and you will understand why.

Red and white cause us to focus and draw our attention. For the most part red and white occur only two times in nature. When something is being killed you may see blood and bone which means it's time to eat, fight, or run - three of the most important things in survival. The other time is when something is poisonous. Again, time to pay attention. So, they make powerful advertising colors.

Blue is most people’s favorite color, which is why you see it often. Why blue? Blue skies means no rain to run and hide from. Good times ahead. That's why people like blue. Probably ties in with safety, happiness, etc. Every color provides an emotion, and most of them we have been able to tie to a directly correlating survival reaction from our early days.
I realize you said for the "most part" but there are all kinds of red foods that are not poisonous.. Apples and strawberries are two that come to mind..

I realize you said for the "most part" but there are all kinds of red foods that are not poisonous.. Apples and strawberries are two that come to mind..

These seem safe to eat too..

red-foods.jpg

But he's right about the emotional nature of colors. I was also in advertising for a few years (in the last century!). Red is a power or dominant color, so it commands attention. Blue is a passive color, peaceful. Wearing a red tie communicates that you're in charge & won't be challenged easily. Wearing a blue tie communicates amiability, kindness, even compassion. You may have noticed that Pres Trump alternates between red and blue ties depending on what he wants to accomplish.

Blue as the primary color in a corporate logo communicates reliability and safety, while red communicates a progressive, advanced thinking, aggressive message. The Liberty Bankers Life logo is an interesting example. They're playing off the patriotic nature of their name, but rather than being a balanced red, white, and blue, they use blue as the dominant feature with elements of white, and just a thin red line. So, reliability and safety combined with a progressive tone without being threatening.
Liberty_Bankers.png

For some reason the "Dress for Success Guides" said never wear green.
Back in the day, my anthropology teacher told us that most insane people pick green as their favorite color. Makes you wonder why our founding fathers picked it for the color of paper money!

(It also makes me wonder how it came to be the color of choice for the LH polo shirts!)

Last edited:
Back on the original topic - My state (TX) requires a fictitious name registration for anything other than your own name. They also have several rules for things that cannot be in your name or logo. For example, you're not supposed to use "Texas" or even "Lone Star" in your agency name, or the Texas flag in your logo. Echoing what others have said, you should really check out the rules on your state's DOI website.

Back