Does Agency Name Matter?

If you think you might want to sell your agency someday, I would avoid using your name. It is easier for another agent to come in and take over if your agency name is somewhat generic. I would stay away from City and County names as well. If you have a particular client that you want to go after in another area, they might see you as "not local". Sell yourself, not your agency name. Clients who are wooed by a fancy name aren't going to be as loyal either. They will just be wooed away from you by the next fancy name they see.

If you think you might want to sell your agency someday, I would avoid using your name. It is easier for another agent to come in and take over if your agency name is somewhat generic. I would stay away from City and County names as well. If you have a particular client that you want to go after in another area, they might see you as "not local". Sell yourself, not your agency name. Clients who are wooed by a fancy name aren't going to be as loyal either. They will just be wooed away from you by the next fancy name they see.

Good advice. I bought an agency the other guy named after himself and the first thing I did was change it. Lotsa time and money spent, could have been avoided. Also, avoid location based names, like "Jefferson Drive Insurance" or "100 Main Street Insurance Agency"...just my own pet peeve.

Back