Does Agency Name Matter?

keysersosey

Starting an independent agency. Does the name matter? Is it better to have your last name in the company name or go in a different direction? Thanks.

In the beginning, branding (name of your business, business cards, logo) isn't all that important. Branding yourself is like doing what Allstate has done or Progressive. They have a large target market.

For an independent agency, that is specializing in like one or two products it won't matter that much. I would either go with your name or just a name that you like when you say it.

Starting an independent agency. Does the name matter? Is it better to have your last name in the company name or go in a different direction? Thanks.
Probably would not name it "We Never Pay" Insurance Agency.. Other than that, I don't think it makes a lot of difference.. :biggrin:

In the beginning, branding (name of your business, business cards, logo) isn't all that important. Branding yourself is like doing what Allstate has done or Progressive. They have a large target market.

For an independent agency, that is specializing in like one or two products it won't matter that much. I would either go with your name or just a name that you like when you say it.

What if he likes a name that is restricted by his state insurance department or is trademarked?

Go for it.. They have to catch you before they can do anything... :wacko:

I'm not so sure the ask for forgiveness rather than for permission concept applies here, especially when commission payments are potentially at risk.

Hopefully, he's not in PA or NJ as any fictitious name registration that contains the word "insurance" must be approved by the insurance department.

I'm sure other states have similar restrictions.

CA is quite restrictive..

Business Entity Application Procedures - Name Approval Criteria

Obviously you don't want to do anything illegal, and obviously you don't want to pick a really bad name.

I think Matthew King was right. It doesn't matter that much, unless you are launching a multi billion dollar campaign. By the way, I had a successful career in advertising for 10 years, so I do know a bit about this.

One thing to note, though, almost all successful marketing campaigns in history had red and white in their logos. You'll notice most of the credit cards in your wallet have red and white, as do the logos of most captive carriers. Most countries flags have red and white in them (along with blue). Pretty much every successful company has red and white in their logo.

I'm not so sure the ask for forgiveness rather than for permission concept applies here, especially when commission payments are potentially at risk.

Hopefully, he's not in PA or NJ as any fictitious name registration that contains the word "insurance" must be approved by the insurance department.

I'm sure other states have similar restrictions.

CA is quite restrictive..

Business Entity Application Procedures - Name Approval Criteria
I took it he was asking more from the marketing aspect of the name than the legal aspect. Of course, you really would not want to use a name that would get you a fine or your licensed pulled..

One thing to note, though, almost all successful marketing campaigns in history had red and white in their logos. You'll notice most of the credit cards in your wallet have red and white, as do the logos of most captive carriers. Most countries flags have red and white in them (along with blue). Pretty much every successful company has red and white in their logo.

Seems blue and white is dominant in the life industry. I wonder why that is?

Back