Feeling hopeless

Hi, new to the site here. I have been a life insurance agent since May, yet I have only been able to write two introductory offer policies that are free for the first year, and just one actual sale, which was a modified benefit life policy. I am starting to feel really hopeless out there.

I have tried inquiring with friends and family about life, health, and AD&D insurance but all of them said they are already happy with what they have, or can’t afford it. So that’s left me with leads to follow, some of which I’ve gotten through services, others through our company. Sadly most of these leads are either not interested, uninsurable, or the address and numbers listed are bad. And I’ve been cussed out quite a few times on calls and knocking on their doors.

It’s frustrating because not only do I wish to do well for myself, but I also want to do well for the company and my superiors, as it is, I feel like I am letting them down.

Anyone else been in this situation? How long did it take to sell/write your first policy? I’m honestly surprised they haven’t let me go yet for my failure thus far.

A couple thoughts:

1. You have the wrong mindset. Trying to please superiors is not the way to go about it.

2. How many prospecting contacts did you make this week? If less than 20 per day, then that’s where you need to start. Do that for two weeks, then come back for help. If you can’t do that for two weeks, each day, then this may not be for you. No shame in that, it’s a unique skill set.

Strangely enough, engineers are not devoid of emotion. They are afraid of making a mistake and "being sold". (They never want to admit to anyone that "they got taken" or anything like that.)

They DO want to satisfy their needs on an emotional level, but they'll "play their cards close to the vest" until you demonstrate that you know what you're talking about and you do have their best interests in mind behind your advice and recommendations.

Stephen R. Covey's 5th Habit: Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

Once you understand your product in and out - including and especially the problems it can help solve, and you understand your prospect's needs - including the need to be able to trust you through your details and understanding how they make decisions... the sale is almost immediate. Engineers are not easy to build a trusting relationship with, and they do not give their trust easily... but they do to those who have demonstrated that they are trustworthy.
I appreciate seeing this post. It provides instruction and explanation underlying a comment a Medicare Supplement agent made about their engineer clients in another thread sometime back.

But keep in mind... people rarely purchase because of logic... insurance is mostly emotional...

We are just a conduit to the feelings of the client... helping them see the need and feel the risk and the results of that risk if left unresolved...

Keep in mind here that I sell FE for the most part...:wubclub: so I'm a little special... :goofy:

While I am not absolutely sure about this, a couple of years of reading here suggest to me that FE agents may be a special kind of crazy. :D

Well said... some are a special kind of crazy, while others are especially crazy... :laugh:
What we do to make sure someone has a nice warm hole to be thrown in... ;)

Warm? You are now adding a new dimension to the burial process.

You are going to have to increase the face of the policies you sell to cover the special version of the lining box that Newby talks about. The one with the battery powered heating elements. And then remaining family members have to drive to the cemetery twice each year to change the batteries when they change their smoke detector batteries.

Back