Female Insurance Agents and Brokers

I think that more women are captive since they are more about structure and security, which they will get more of in a captive situation.

Of course this is a general statement, but I do know more male independent agents then women.

When I was captive with Humana, about half of the people in my training class were women and the head trainer for Humana Marketpoint (Sr. Products division) is a woman as well. There are a several female agents in my state that do quite well for them.

I also know a lot more independent male agents than female.

Another example is State Farm and similar operations. Most of the agents are male, whereas the overwhelming majority of representives (a position with much lower pay but also much lower risk) in the offices are female.

I know 3 women in my town that sell in the senior market for the most part and let me tell you, their clients are some of the most loyal that I come across. These women probably have more seniors in this parish than anyone.

The top producer in Kansas for Humana is a woman out of Wichita. But, the top producer in the Kansas City Metro is male.

Women have a selling advantage IMHO. They can have a closer emotional bond with female prospects, and come off as more trustworthy to the males. If they are attractive to the males, then the male might buy only for that reason.

Just go to Hooters and watch the waitresses work over the men there. I used to watch cocktail waitresses pull out business cards left and right after a shift when I bar tended back in the day.

I imagine that a woman has also gotta be more careful in the business world,she might get that man to want to buy because of her feminine ways but if that man has a wife then "watch out" you may just see the female saleslady get shown the front door and the man shown the guest bedroom.

the last time I tried to show a woman who wore the pants in the family I was a slobbering,groveling *** within just a few days. she can "shut down" more than just the stove if you get my drift!!!

Just my opinion

Okay, this is just my opinion as a female who has worked as both a captive and independent agent. Captive agents generally have women in all layers of the management which helps to raise the glass ceiling. As oposed to the independent field where many male agents have a hard time with female agents, especially highly successful ones. They aren't sure if you are one of the girls (as so many agents call thier staff) or one of the boys. This makes it hard for many women to feel comfortable entering the independent market. I saw the glass cieling alot faster after joining an independent agency than I did as a captive agent. But if you stick to your guns and prove yourself they get used to you.
SME

Okay, this is just my opinion as a female who has worked as both a captive and independent agent. Captive agents generally have women in all layers of the management which helps to raise the glass ceiling. As oposed to the independent field where many male agents have a hard time with female agents, especially highly successful ones. They aren't sure if you are one of the girls (as so many agents call thier staff) or one of the boys. This makes it hard for many women to feel comfortable entering the independent market. I saw the glass cieling alot faster after joining an independent agency than I did as a captive agent. But if you stick to your guns and prove yourself they get used to you.
SME

IF I had the choice, I would have 75% of agents under me who are women and speak spanish....

This is an older thread but I wanted to add this experience to it. I walked into a meeting with other independent agents and was like always the only women in the room. (That and being 25 makes me stand out a little) The other agents where all a part of what I like to call the "Good old boys" club and a discussion of the fact that more women where in insurance but few of them where independent quickly started. One of the other agents turned to me and said "Sweety to be in this industry you've either gotta grow a pair (Independent) or buy a pair (captive) and you women like to shop." I thought it was an interesting take on the issue.

Back