Female Insurance Agents and Brokers

For all of us oldies out there, SMH means "shaking my head". Yes, I had to google it.

I'm a female owner of an agency. Thirty-one years ago, I entered the insurance industry as an office assistant, learned the business, became licensed while still doing CSR work, and then went independent 24 years ago. I focus on group health, but also do a fair amount of IFP, life, etc. I honestly did not know that women usually didn't go independent. I was really surprised that attendees at most seminars were 99% men. Then, I noticed that the women who attended were 1) office assistants 2) an agent but also the spouse of the agency owner 3) selling individual/family health plans but not group insurance. I was surprised when I was told by a carrier that only 500 agents in AZ did the bulk of the group health business, and of those only 3 agency owners were women (I was one of them). When I went independent, I honestly didn't know I was entering a "man's world". I found out quickly, though, to avoid the high-pressured aggressive sales competitions and to focus on building relationships. It's paid off for me.

And, also, I'm blonde. Not stupid. Just blonde.

My 02 cents on this topic... women in general are risk adverse and being a producer and/or opening an independent agency is very, very risky. Rather than entering the IA side on 100% commission, most opt for the structure and base salary/draw of a captive situation. Men are much more likely to swing for the fences. That being said, I know a few female producers that are elite $1m+ per year. The women that get into commercial P&C and survive are exceptional, you will never meet an average female producer.

The women that get into commercial P&C and survive are exceptional, you will never meet an average female producer.

That's what I've heard. Most women don't care for the lone ranger life style of being an independent agent, but those that do have it going on.

I have one that competes with me a little bit on the health and life side, but she's sharp and friendly. Most people can't really be successful talking trash to other agents in their hood.

Back