Finally Have Gonads to CC -- But Need Help.

Rearden

Guru
5000 Post Club
So I've decided not to purchase $30 psychological crutches anymore, and finally grew the balls to make the calls.

Put in my first hour this afternoon -- made something like 25 or so contacts, 0 appointments, and 150 or so calls (something like that).

I'm really leading with MedSupp and/or burial insurance. I know most lead with one, but I thought I'd give it a try.

Don't know what I need help with and don't know if I got enough data to make any fair judgements, but here's the script:

"Hey... is Stan in? Hey Stan, Dave Rearden here.... I'm calling because, I'm kinda curious. <pause> You wouldn't know anyone who's paying, an arm and a leg, for Medicare Supplement insurance OR, anyone who fees like they need more burial insurance, would you?"

(Strangely-placed punctuation is done to capture the cadence of how I speak.)

They say "no" -- I hang up. I don't rebuttal because I figure if someone gets a rate increase or feels like they pay too much, they'll raise their hands and say YA THAT'S ME alright!

I'll take anyone's constructive criticism. And if anyone knows how to record calls in Mojo, I'll be happy to upload them for your review.

-Dave

Last edited:
"Hey... is Stan in? Hey Stan, Dave Rearden here.... I'm calling because, I'm kinda curious. <pause> You wouldn't know anyone who's paying, an arm and a leg, for Medicare Supplement insurance OR, anyone who feels like they need more burial insurance, would you?"

Let's analyze your question here:

1st - You're asking 2 questions at the same time. Never do that - especially on a cold call. Stick to one question at a time.

2nd - "Paying an arm and a leg"... compared to what? If they have a policy, they probably didn't compare pricing and plans. They bought from an agent that had an attractive and affordable plan.

3rd - "They need more burial insurance". Let's think about it: If they wanted and needed burial insurance, they aren't going to wait around for your phone call. They would go find someone to help take care of it.

So, what do you do from here?

#1 - Your job is to find the pain. People buy when they are dissatisfied with what they've got, or their current situation.

"Hi, my name is Dave Reardon. How are you today? Great! The reason I'm calling is (name of company) is introducing a new medicare supplement insurance plan for the people in (your county). And if I may, I'd like to ask you a few questions?"

The question here is: May I ask a few questions? It's not "do you need this today?"

Now, you ask a few questions to get them to TALK. When they talk, ask them questions about "how they feel" versus what they "think". "Think" questions will not help you get a sale, let alone an appointment. "Feeling" questions will trigger the pain that leads to discontentment and a desire to get rid of their pain.

Basically, you're doing a preliminary fact-find over the phone. You're 'surveying' them. You're not going to make any recommendations over the phone... except for one.

Once you have enough pain, you can ask for a time to meet.

"It sounds like it might be a good idea for us to meet. I may have a few ideas that can help. How would you feel about that?"

This will take you a whole lot longer than a simple "verbal spam" script. (Yes, your script looks like my spam box.) But you will establish a feeling of trust, caring and listening BEFORE you ask to meet with them. Then, when you show up, there will be a better feeling of trust with you, than if you 'spammed' them.

Dont lump the two together. People who buy med supps buy "life insurance" imho. I would call separately for each. They wont remember you from the previous call so feel free to call them the following week. Also paying an arm and leg is ok if you ask them if they feel they are paying too much, but kinda sounds gimmicky when its asked if they know anyone. Your hoping they fess up saying they do, but that instinct is clouded because you asked them if they knew anyone, which automatically creates distrust or suspicion because no one will give out cold referrals, without having been softened up, something to be asked after the opening.
Paying too much is the perfect pain for med supps. Burial insurance on the other hand is a different emotion, maybe conflicting with the other one.
Burial insurance should be positioned to somoeone that has none, assume each call doesnt. That way people will gladly tell you they already have some, alot, all set, life insurance etc. And you can calmly ask them if they are "open" to having see if you can save money on it. Explain that if they had purchased it in the last five years chances are you can "find them some extra money". Check rates and look at fully underwritten as an option.
Lead in with asking them if they have a burial plan in place to protect their loved when the good Lord calls them home/they pass away.
No plan, ask them what alternative plan they will use to help "shield" their loved ones from the financial burden of final expenses, explain to them that the sooner you they apply the cheaper it is and that this plan isn't like most insurance where you might not see what you pay into it unless you rally need it like auto, home or disability. This plan will definite

So I've decided not to purchase $30 psychological crutches anymore, and finally grew the balls to make the calls.

Put in my first hour this afternoon -- made something like 25 or so contacts, 0 appointments, and 150 or so calls (something like that).

I'm really leading with MedSupp and/or burial insurance. I know most lead with one, but I thought I'd give it a try.

Don't know what I need help with and don't know if I got enough data to make any fair judgements, but here's the script:

"Hey... is Stan in? Hey Stan, Dave Rearden here.... I'm calling because, I'm kinda curious. <pause> You wouldn't know anyone who's paying, an arm and a leg, for Medicare Supplement insurance OR, anyone who fees like they need more burial insurance, would you?"

(Strangely-placed punctuation is done to capture the cadence of how I speak.)

They say "no" -- I hang up. I don't rebuttal because I figure if someone gets a rate increase or feels like they pay too much, they'll raise their hands and say YA THAT'S ME alright!

I'll take anyone's constructive criticism. And if anyone knows how to record calls in Mojo, I'll be happy to upload them for your review.

-Dave

Dave.. You are phrasing your question in the negative which will almost always generate a negative response.

Also, some will disagree, you should not jump immediately to a first name basis, particularly in the age group you are calling. When someone cold calls me and starts out addressing me by my first name I usually consider them a huckster and brush them off as soon as possible. I have talked about it with many of my friends and most of them feel the same way.

Try something on the order of, "Stan Smith, please...... Mr. Smith, Dave Reardon. The reason for my call is many people have recently had rate increases on their medicare supplement and those that haven't are sure to get one soon. We work with folks to assure that they have the best rates avaiable. I have openings at 2:15 Tuesday or 4:00 Wednesday.. Which would be best for you?

If they accept one of your dates, great! But, more than likely you will get an objection. Handle the objections just like you would handle them in the sales interview. The key is to keep it friendly and conversational... Louis

Last edited:
Dont lump the two together. People who buy med supps buy "life insurance" imho. I would call separately for each. They wont remember you from the previous call so feel free to call them the following week if with the other offer. Also paying an arm and leg is ok if you ask them if they feel they are paying too much, but kinda sounds gimmicky when its asked if they know anyone. Your hoping they fess up saying they do, but that instinct is clouded because you asked them if they knew anyone, which automatically creates distrust or suspicion because no one will give out cold referrals, without having been softened up, something to be asked after the opening.
Paying too much is the perfect pain for med supps. Burial insurance on the other hand is a different emotion, maybe conflicting with the other one.
Burial insurance should be positioned to somoeone that has none, assume each call doesnt. That way people will gladly tell you they already have some, alot, all set, life insurance etc. And you can calmly ask them if they are "open" to having see if you can save money on it. Explain that if they had purchased it in the last five years chances are you can "find them some extra money". Check rates and look at fully underwritten as an option.
Lead in with asking them if they have a burial plan in place to protect their loved when the good Lord calls them home/they pass away.
No plan, ask them what alternative plan they will use to help "shield" their loved ones from the financial burden of final expenses, explain to them that the sooner you they apply the cheaper it is and that this plan isn't like most insurance where you might not see what you pay into it unless you rally need it like auto, home or disability. They will get their money back with this plan and it will be there when their family needs it most. Then ask if you can give them a quote on what it would cost for their burial either make an appointment to come out to drop off the quote and see what they qualify for. Or do the quote over the phone. Find out if they want a funeral? Cremation? Etc. Show them 10 and 20 year inflation prices.
Ask them what kind of budget they had in mind, either close in the phone or make an appointment to come out and "show them everything in black amd white" before they begin the plan.
Some will say no objection handling, but you will have to build some conversation om the phone in order to get the appointment or close on the phone which is the reason you ask them an open question if they have a plan.
Of course you could prospect soley on saving people money on their burial plan they already have, "oh I dont have one" can naturally translate into the above, "what alternative plan"...and if they have a plan, asking if they "would be open"...
See selling final expense is presented as a plan that will pay ANY final expenses, selling burial insurance it is hard to elevate the face amount explaining this pays more than.just the burial, which is why you explain the inflation amounts.
I want to try call for burial insurance but I think it might be easier to sell them on an appointment to help them with their funeral planning, which seniors are more open to.

Yay -- thanks for the input guys.

"Hey, Is Mrs. Jones in? Hi, Dave Rearden here. I'm calling because I help people save money and get better coverage on their Medicare Supplement Insurance AND if it's okay, was wondering if I could ask you a few questions to see if this is something I could help you with?"

I'll use that now.

1) I would target either FE or Medsupp.

2) Although your question is funny, it opens up to a no.

3) You already know they're paying to much for a MedSupp. I always assume they're on F. My goal is to find out how much they're paying and who they're with. If you can do that, I consider it a lead.

4) Don't ask yes/no questions you don't have a good idea what the answer is...

Do you need insurance? I don't know.

Are you on Medicare? Yes I am.

I'm calling because

Strike that completely.

Too many pitches sound just like that . . . a pitch. You are setting up the next line and their spidey sense will already be tingling.

I would jump right in with the hook after the intro.

"Hey, Is Mrs. Jones in? Hi, Dave Rearden here. Have you heard about the new VALUE priced Medigap plans recently introduced by ZYX?"

As you know, I don't cold call but if I did that is what I would do, or something like that.

Either they have heard of them or not.

If they already own a plan from ZYX they may wonder why they haven't been told of the new plans.

Referring to them as value priced puts a different spin than lower premiums. Anyone can talk about saving money but getting more VALUE is a different concept.

It helps if your primary carrier is not a household name. If you are pushing Blue or MOO chances are good they either heard of them and/or own a policy from them.

By naming the carrier you are being up front with them. Not coming across like you are playing games. This should gain their trust.

You already know you won't win them all. That is not your game plan. All you want to do is take some time to talk to the ones that ARE interested and leave the rest alone.

The key to cold calling is call, find the interested ones quickly then move on.

At least that's the way I did it. I don't have time to argue or convince. Someone out there wants to hear what I have to say. If not you, the next one I call.

If I remember correctly, I would usually hit a good one out of every 10 or so I talked to. I might have to dial 30 - 40 people to get a live one but so what? If you do it right, even manually dialing (which is what I did) you can still hit 150+ an hour and get 3 - 4 decent prospects.

Back