Getting Licensed with Child Support Arrearage

[email protected]

Hey guys,

I'm brand new to this forum, but a lot of great info here, definitely. I have a child support balance that shows up on two credit bureaus because of a foul because my wife moved out of state and my payments for 10 yrs weren't applied correctly.

After thousands on an attorney we got it corrected, but I cant seem to get two of the bureaus to get the back balance corrected or removed.

My question is, can I get my group 1 or P & C in Texas with this popping up on 2 bureaus?

I really don't want to pay an attorney again and go through the slow process of trying to get the inaccuracies off my bureaus again.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks...David

Have you gotten a letter from the state or states in question showing that you are current on child support?

I still have an area rage after the big mess because of some of the interest the state wouldn't remove. It's just very small in comparison now.

So technically you still owe back child support, as far as the state is concerned.

I have no idea what Texas's take on that is, but I doubt you'll be able to get your license. I would call them and ask, usually they are pretty helpful.

If I recall correctly: When I applied for my license I too was in arrears and the online application would not let me move forward until I could show proof of a payment plan. I had to go down to the courthouse and get the forms that did in fact show proof that was was on a scheduled payment plan and fax it to them. Hope that helps.

Well, I dont know if anything has changed, but I just spoke to the DOE here in Texas and the lady said there is no place on the application where it even asks about child support and they only pull criminal background checks, so unless you were some deadbeat dad that had a warrant out for your arrest, she said you don't have to worry about it.

Of course that's a voice on the telephone in a government office, so I guess I wont know for sure, until I try myself.

David

Well, I dont know if anything has changed, but I just spoke to the DOE here in Texas and the lady said there is no place on the application where it even asks about child support and they only pull criminal background checks, so unless you were some deadbeat dad that had a warrant out for your arrest, she said you don't have to worry about it.

Of course that's a voice on the telephone in a government office, so I guess I wont know for sure, until I try myself.

David

Just a head's up since it happened to an agent I knew. He was behind also - I guess pretty far behind. He was writing business for a few months, then the carriers he was writing for got a letter for garnishment....100% which means every dime of commissions were garnished.

Wow, child support is supposed to be 20% of your net, so I wonder how they got away with that. I guess you could hire an attorney for $5,000 retainer and start the process, but that's how they get you in situations like this. I went through a custody battle that took years and multiple thousands of dollars, time and stress and still lost. Our justice system is really messed up, unless your crazy wealthy!

Wow, child support is supposed to be 20% of your net, so I wonder how they got away with that. I guess you could hire an attorney for $5,000 retainer and start the process, but that's how they get you in situations like this. I went through a custody battle that took years and multiple thousands of dollars, time and stress and still lost. Our justice system is really messed up, unless your crazy wealthy!

Garnishment when you're on 1099 is completely different than w2.

The IRS is a good example. They cannot "impoverish" you with a garnishment....unless you're self-employed where they can take 100%.

Beyond that, states can get in on the act. In MD if you get too far behind you lose your driver's license then can end up in what they call "night jail" where 100% of your pay is turned over to the court - you work during the day and report to jail at night until you're current.

Last edited:
It also depends on the total number of kids as well as how often you have custody. For me, I have 3 kids and see them about 1 day a month. That equates to a 50% child support payment.

Every state is different, but here's the calculator for California.

Calculate Child Support

Latest posts

Back