Google Site Killer

I read recently that 1200 word articles (if properly written) outshine 350 - 400 word posts in Google's eyes.

True or false?

I am curious about this too.

Most of my articles naturally come to around 600-700. And it is not a big deal to extend it to 1000 or 1200. But is it really worth it? I also worry about keeping the attention span of readers once I hit the 1000 word mark.

I read an article the other week which said that most Page 1 sites use articles that are between 900-1500. Idk how true that statement is...

I would say in general - the more content the better in terms of search engines. But search engines want you to write for humans and not search engines. So if I end up at 700 words and covered everything I wanted to in the best way possible, I would not try to squeeze out another 500 words just to hit a word count.

On the other hand, there may be times when you need 3000 words to cover your topic appropriately in a single blog post.

I know you don't want to disregard to search engines completely when writing but I try to focus on readers when creating blog posts except for when I'm optimizing the title, headings, image tags, etc. That's the only time I really think about search engines.

If you put in examples and stories like "Mary was crying when she called because she did not think she could afford to keep her plan. . . ."

A good tear jerker is worth an extra 300+ words.

Linda, I'm on my phone and will try the link you posted at my home computer, but I have a few questions.

1. Is/are there a website(s) that you'd recommend as a straight forward resource on how to setup google places/local the first time?

2. What's the best way to find out if your google places is screwed up?

3. Can you have your home address for two entirely separate businesses? For example, Insurance agency and Speech Therapy (My first occupation)?

Thanks so much for your help. Not sure about everyone else but, this is all so confusing.

Well, since Linda is enjoying all this attention, can you recommend a site where you can enter your URL and it will churn out a citation report?

Linda, I'm on my phone and will try the link you posted at my home computer, but I have a few questions.

Sorry buried plus didn't get notified of this post. My answers below.

1. Is/are there a website(s) that you'd recommend as a straight forward resource on how to setup google places/local the first time?

There is not one to my knowledge. I think partly because it changes so fast it would need to be constantly updated.

Plus while it's fairly basic in general terms each situation is unique so you'd have to have all these branches with if/then/do it this way variables.

2. What's the best way to find out if your google places is screwed up?

If your ranking drops or if you get a rejected or suspended warning in your dashboard. (But if the latter it's too late to fix.)

Short of that you could get a consult by someone that really understands this stuff. BUT should not just eval your Place page. Your site needs to be optimized right to compliment the Place page and rank in the blended algo. They should also check your citations to be sure no problem there.

3. Can you have your home address for two entirely separate businesses? For example, Insurance agency and Speech Therapy (My first occupation)?

Well that ones tricky. Usually can't get away with it if same business owner and even somewhat closely related. For instance home insurance and the same person is also a realtor might be too close.

But in the specific case you mention above IF totally diff names and phone numbers you could maybe get away with it. BE SURE if anyone ever calls asking about your business and location to answer each phone # with the right business name. If it's a Google moderator calling, they don't always identify themselves. If you just answer both lines with something generic like "Business Office may I help you?" it can be a deal breaker. Google assumes real businesses answer the phone with the real business name.

Thanks so much for your help. Not sure about everyone else but, this is all so confusing.

Sure, I know it's super complicated. But if it makes you feel better insurance regulations would totally bamboozle the heck out of me because I don't specialize in it. ;)

----------

Well, since Linda is enjoying all this attention, can you recommend a site where you can enter your URL and it will churn out a citation report?

Sorry Bob, didn't mean to take over your thread, just came to help.

Most use "GetListed" at least for the initial pass. It's free. But if you have a problem and need more in-depth paid help can check out Whitespark and BrightLocal. Both will submit new citations for you to build your citation profile and Whitespark has a citation clean up service too for those who have scrambled NAP, have changed names or moved.

I won't even do citations. It's grueling and frustrating. So if you need help I would def outsource it.

----------

Weird, I've tried 3 times now spaced an hour apart.

It won't let me create a new post to reply to Bob. Keeps adding it to my previous reply I made a long time before it.

----------

Same thing just then. It adds to my previous post like it does if you do 2 posts in quick succession. It merges them. But that 2nd post to Bob I tried posting 3 times and separated the time. So then I left for over an hour and tried it again. Same thing.

Can someone let the admin know there may be a bug?

Probably not a bug. You are typing too fast.

If there are no new comments in between your initial post and a subsequent one it merges the posts automatically.

Now that I have added my post you can come back and respond without the merge.

Thanks for both references. I have read about Brightspark and Brightlocal but haven't looked into their services . . . yet.

How do you feel about aggregators like Localeze or Axciom?

Last edited:
Thank you Linda. I'm also asking around in a google places/ google+ community.

Pretty odd that there's a lack of definitive information regarding google places &2+ home based businesses.

*Sorry for the hijack Bob!

Hi Mick,

I've written a TON about the home based business problems on Google+.

I was actively involved and fighting with Google sometimes daily back when they deleted hundreds of thousands of listings for not complying with the hide your address guideline. (That business owners were never informed about to begin with.)

I have a whole section at my forum. It's under the "G+ Local specific issues" section which is about the 12th section down and it's called "Service Area Business issues."

It can be hard to get good help in some of the Google support communities, so if you have questions or need help, start a new thread here, then PM me to be sure I see it. (then we won't take Bob's thread off course any more.)

Bob re: "How do you feel about aggregators like Localeze or Axciom"

I don't deal with citations at all, so am not the best one to ask. Depends on your existing citation profile and if you have problems or not. But if newer business then you should probably use one or both I think. But again, not my area of expertise. I have a partner that handles that part. My specialty is Place page issues and on-site SEO. I don't deal with any off-site stuff like backlinks or citations.

Back