Google Site Killer

Yes thanks Bob, would never link out, but I'm glad you did because there is a lot of info there that should be helpful to some folks here.

I looked at some Schema plugins and read the reviews. One of them, don't recall which, generated advertising that promoted a website. You have to be very careful of plugins, especially the free ones produced by programmers in some parts of Europe. Some of them are used to create a backdoor to your site for hackers or set up a redirect from your site to a spam site.

If I use a schema plugin, and I haven't decided yet, I will use the one from Yoast. It is a premium (paid) plugin that seems (to me at least) a bit pricey, but Yoast has a very good reputation.

An update on the "All-In-One Schema.org" WP Plugin.

I mentioned that it was a bit bulky on the code side. It was loading java and css on all pages, not just pages using the plugin. So it was detracting from the page load speed of my homepage and google was counting off for it. (they were counting off for more than just that, but every little bit helps, especially when it loads above the fold, they dont seem to like that...)

So I contacted the Plug-In's owner on the plugins wp page.
In just 3 days he fixed the issue and released a new update. It now only loads on pages that it is being used on.

He wasnt able to get all of the code to load below the fold, but it is a very minimal drag on loading, so no big deal.

The Rich Snippets are still showing. So the plugin is a good one so far. I would recommend it.

Linda,

So how does one deal with having multiple websites & local? For example, a website focused on specifically medigap insurance and another website that talks about all products you offer.

Great thread Bob.

Linda,

So how does one deal with having multiple websites & local? For example, a website focused on specifically medigap insurance and another website that talks about all products you offer.

Hi Bill,

Need to be careful and here are a few of the reasons.

1) Just to be sure you know you can only have 1 Place page per location. Does not matter how many sites you have or if you have different DBAs for different specialties. Only 1 Place page is allowed. Not only is it a violation but having more than one will usually kill your rankings.

2) You can have as many sites as you want to try to rank in organic, just be aware there is a risk to your main local listing. So you need to be careful about how you do the other sites and there is a whole strategy to doing it right so the niche sites don't take out your main site in the rankings.

So example - lets say allyourinsuranceneeds DOT com is your general brokerage and your Place page that's linked to your main site is optimized for home, life, health and auto.

Then you also have autoins DOT com that's only about auto.

Occasionally Google will swap your link on your Place page that goes to your general site that's optimized for all types of insurance, with the link to the auto ins site.

What next? You lose your local ranking for home, life and health because the site your Place page is linked to is all about auto.

3) There are other things that can happen too and it can cause NAP confusion that drops your main listing out of the pack.

So you can have multiple sites and it's allowed, you just need to understand how Google LOCAL thinks and know what can trip her up, so you can avoid it.

Carpal killing me that's about all I got for right now but hope that helped!

backlinks are frowned upon its a very mediocre form of seo. After December's algorithm change the way google rates companies is moving toward content and social media/reviews. The old copy paste content will not work anymore.

Be prepared to do manual submissions of UNIQUE content regarding your business to lots of directory submissions. Honestly even if you could do it yourself its low value data entry that is not worth your time. Your better off hiring someone.

Back