Google Site Killer

I looked at some Schema plugins and read the reviews. One of them, don't recall which, generated advertising that promoted a website. You have to be very careful of plugins, especially the free ones produced by programmers in some parts of Europe. Some of them are used to create a backdoor to your site for hackers or set up a redirect from your site to a spam site.

If I use a schema plugin, and I haven't decided yet, I will use the one from Yoast. It is a premium (paid) plugin that seems (to me at least) a bit pricey, but Yoast has a very good reputation.

Software, kind of like a smartphone app. Wordpress uses plugins. I don't know if plugins are used with custom sites or other forms of pre-fab blogs like Blogger, Typepad, etc.

They make plug-ins (or their equivalent, I think some other platforms call them "add-ons") for other popular website CMS systems such as Joomla and Drupal. Many of the WP Plugin makers will make multiple versions of the plugin.

As far as the Yoast Schema, Im not familiar with it. But I will say that the one I provided the link to earlier in the thread had over 50 5 Star Reviews. And so far Google seems to recognize it.

OK back to Bob's original post. I promised to help with his ranking.

This has been discussed many, many times but wondering if any of you are getting many Google searches? I used to rank high on pg 1 for several terms but now I am down to page 5 and lower.

The other big issue is that if you have any problems on your Place page it can sometimes cause a ranking penalty. Often it's something you didn't even notice and you've gotten away with it for years. But then just like with speeding, sometimes you eventually get caught.

I don't have time to read through the whole thread and I think a couple folks are complaining of ranking drops. If anyone wants to post a link to your Place page I'm happy to take a peek and see if I notice anything obvious that could be causing a problem. (But I'm swamped so it could be Monday before I have a chance to post the findings of my research, but I will reply.)

OK so Bob, here we go.

I wish I could link out as it would make it easier for others who are following this thread to see/understand.

But you'll need to go to Google maps and search for Bob's phone # (404) 252-5859.

When you do that you'll see both his listings and there are 2 major violations, maybe more. (I don't have time to do a deep dive and complete analysis so only knocking off the most obvious.)

(FYI I'm sharing all this since Bob asked for help - just knowing that many insurance agents have the same problems. In fact another agent from here contacted me who has one of these same violations.)

DUPLICATE LISTINGS

It's a MAJOR Google violation to have more than one listing for the same business location.

You can have as many business names as you want and set up as many sites as you want for each insurance specialty. BUT can only have one Place page per physical location.

Duplicates will always knock you out of the rankings too.

NEED TO HIDE ADDRESS

If you work from home it's also a major violation to have your address showing. You need to set a service area and hide address. How you do this depends on which dashboard you have so I'm not sure which way to tell you to do it.

In the past Google just deleted all the listings that didn't have address hidden. They deleted HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF LISTINGS for violating this guideline and many listings were down for over 5 months and Google could not/would not revive them. Even starting over with a new listing did not work.

NAME???

(Not sure on this one.) There are 2 names, on those listings, but not sure which if either is correct. Georgia Insurance Shop and Georgia Medicare Plans

I'm not sure if you have a DBA or if either one is what your insurance license is under but on Places you can't just have a keyword descriptive name. You can't even add a keyword. It's another major violation. NOTE: Not saying either one is not your real name, just saying I'm not sure.)

Name needs to be whatever the real business name is and we deal with agents all the time who aren't clear on this, so wanted to point it out for anyone else reading.

So for example if your real business name was Alpine Health. You can't even change it to Alpine Health Insurance Agency, to be more descriptive.

WARNING - If anyone has any of these issues, don't just go changing things willy nilly without realizing what you are doing. It's super complicated.

For example ANY change to name or address can cause you to drop out of rankings for 6 weeks or longer or cause you to lose reviews. And deleting a dupe, well there are several ways depending on what kind of dupe. Do it wrong and it can tie you up for weeks. (There are different kinds and different methods.)

So Bob I hope that helps. The dupe is DEF the reason your ranking dropped. It could be partly a penalty but it's also the way the algo works.

For example one thing we deal with a lot with insurance agents is this. (Related but different type of dupe.)

Let's say there is a big agency but all the agents are independent, just work in same office. Now there are 6 insurance listings at the same address. They are all allowed if different businesses HOWEVER they will all compete and knock the main broker/owner's listing out of the search results. So you have to finesse some things with the listings so they aren't all competing and knocking each other out of the rankings. That situation can get super complicated and each case needs to be investigated, but just wanted to bring it up because the issue comes up a lot with agents.

So back to Bob. Let me know which listing is the real legal business name and then I'll advise where to go from there.

Oh and I'll need screenshots of your Google Places dashboard so I can tell you how to hide your address.

(Sorry didn't mean to write a book. And you wonder why I have carpal problems and am so strapped for time.) :twitchy:

Thanks Linda

Last edited:
Thanks Linda.

The corporate name with the Sec of State and the GA DOI is Southeastern Marketing Concepts. But you will never find that name associated with my web presence anywhere.

I used to have a private mailbox for mail & package delivery but fired them several years ago. I have worked from my home for over 20 years and decided I didn't need a faux address any more.

Screen captures attached as png file

What if I just used my real name for Places and forget about trying to promote my sites?

Attachments

• Georgia Medicare Plans.jpg
    Georgia Medicare Plans.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Georgia Insurance Shop.jpg
    Georgia Insurance Shop.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
It's fine to work from home. Lots do, including me.

But Google does not want someone finding a listing on the map, then driving to the business across town only to find a house with no one home. So that's why you have to set it up right.

Yes that's the new dash. So here is how to do it.

Google instructions:

Service Areas for users using the new Places Dashboard is explained at
https :// support DOT google DOT com/business/answer/3038163?hl=en&ref_topic=2794267

To hide address, assuming you have the new dashboard, select I deliver serves to customers at their location...
and be sure "I also serve customers at my address is de-selected".
Then Google won't show address.

Below is screenshot. De-select that 2nd check mark that says "I also serve customers at my business address."

Re the 2 listings and the names. Not sure without researching which way to go. But need to get rid of one of them to eliminate the chance of getting suspended and then the other should eventually rank again if the name is correct and no other violations.

Hope this helps, gotta run.

My forum admin is in the hospital so I'm even more backed up than usual but did want to try to get back to help you as promised.

Attachments

• 1310d1389753972-ranking-okay-organic-but-terrible-local-google-address.jpg
    1310d1389753972-ranking-okay-organic-but-terrible-local-google-address.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 9
Back