Got Hit Today, Not Sure how to Handle, Please Help!

So an officer of the Boston police department lied to me? Well isn't that a kick in the balls. Either way, I will still use it as an argument, and i will appeal should they find me at fault, however, I do agree with the cop that the instant he stopped, he gave up right of way, especially on a single lane one way street. I was we'll into the turn when it happened, and the way the damage is proves that, so regardless, I plan to fight with every ounce I can! Stupid ass rule in this situation

Unless he puts it in writing. When you posted that, I immediately thought. "Cop told him what he wanted to hear so he'd leave him alone."

And let's assume the cop is correct, you are fighting this after the fact. Now this is a different state, but a local cop told me at the time of my last accident that unless the witness stayed until he arrived, he could not take their statement. Fortunately for me, it was obvious who was at fault and the other driver admitted it.

The fact her boyfriend disappeared right after the accident may have helped her admit fault. I was too hyped on adrenaline to recall, but my wife swears he was driving and not her. Not sure if he didn't want to have a chat with the boys in blue or she didn't want her parents to know about her boyfriend. Either way, she quickly admitted fault to the cop. Sadly, she took her sweet time telling her insurance company she was at fault.

Call the cops at the time of the accident and get the witness to stay. Fighting it later is a losing battle.

So an officer of the Boston police department lied to me? Well isn't that a kick in the balls. Either way, I will still use it as an argument, and i will appeal should they find me at fault, however, I do agree with the cop that the instant he stopped, he gave up right of way, especially on a single lane one way street. I was we'll into the turn when it happened, and the way the damage is proves that, so regardless, I plan to fight with every ounce I can! Stupid ass rule in this situation

People will tell you what you want to hear just to get rid of you. It is also amazing how people frame facts to favor their own cause when telling the circumstances of an accident.

Last edited:
Witnesses won't matter in this case.
A witness may say the other driver stopped, and then went.
He still had the right of way.

Doesn't change who will be found at fault.

The cop spoke in general terms, not specifics. What if he stopped because a squirrel was running across the road? He gave up the right of way to the squirrel, not other drivers. What if he saw a child jumping into the street?

Have the cop show it in writing or it doesn't matter!

Dan

Unless he puts it in writing. When you posted that, I immediately thought. "Cop told him what he wanted to hear so he'd leave him alone."

And let's assume the cop is correct, you are fighting this after the fact. Now this is a different state, but a local cop told me at the time of my last accident that unless the witness stayed until he arrived, he could not take their statement. Fortunately for me, it was obvious who was at fault and the other driver admitted it.

The fact her boyfriend disappeared right after the accident may have helped her admit fault. I was too hyped on adrenaline to recall, but my wife swears he was driving and not her. Not sure if he didn't want to have a chat with the boys in blue or she didn't want her parents to know about her boyfriend. Either way, she quickly admitted fault to the cop. Sadly, she took her sweet time telling her insurance company she was at fault.

Call the cops at the time of the accident and get the witness to stay. Fighting it later is a losing battle.

Ah yes I had an accident just like this except no disappearing driver. The driver readily admitted fault, was found at fault by the police but was ducking her own carrier. I was calling the other carrier daily luckily she mentioned she was on her way to work and named the animal hospital because I had tell her own carrier how to contact her...

Then once contacted I became a driving maniac speeding doing 50 plus miles down a 25 mile per hour road...I had to track down a bus driver witness lots of fun and liberty mutual still leaves a bad taste in my mouth to today.

Ah yes I had an accident just like this except no disappearing driver. The driver readily admitted fault, was found at fault by the police but was ducking her own carrier. I was calling the other carrier daily luckily she mentioned she was on her way to work and named the animal hospital because I had tell her own carrier how to contact her...

Then once contacted I became a driving maniac speeding doing 50 plus miles down a 25 mile per hour road...I had to track down a bus driver witness lots of fun and liberty mutual still leaves a bad taste in my mouth to today.

I went and got the police report myself, they are all but free for residents. She was cited at fault. The insurance company told me that with that they could handle the claim. They finally reached her and she admitted fault at that time as well. Not sure what the story was with BF, but I'm sure she didn't want that getting known.

The police report was clear cut anyway. I was traveling on a 5 lane street in the lane next to the turn lane. She/boyfriend turned left in front of me and the front driver's side clipped the rear behind the wheel where the bumper starts. All but ripped it off. The police officer got a statement, made sure my son was in the car seat at the time and then cited her for it. The sad thing is, her car was clearly undriveable and mine barely was. He wanted to talk us both into driving away. I did and just parked it until I took it to the shop. She insisted he call her a tow truck.

I was we'll into the turn when it happened, and the way the damage is proves that, so regardless, I plan to fight with every ounce I can!

According to the photo that you provided, you were only a couple of feet into the turn, or he would have hit mid-way down the vehicle or closer to the rear, not the very front panel.

Bottom line, just like your in homeowners thread, you are making mountains out of molehills. Yes, the situations are both unfortunate, and yes, if your car or your house is damaged by another party you can be understandably upset, but the cold hard reality there is that you are blowing both of these incidents way out of proportion and trying to turn them into major battles when they really are minor issues that can be easily overcome, left behind and forgotten.

In this case, any of my adjusters would look at the situation as you described it and at best they would determine that you were both at fault and that each insurance carrier should handle their own insured. Again, that is a best case scenario for you, and that scenario would only apply if the other driver verifies your version of events, in full (and they almost never do). There is nothing for you to fight for here. Just decide if you want to pay your deductible (which may exceed the value of damages) and watch your rates increase, or if you want to just pay for the damages to your vehicle, and hope that the other driver (who has a much better chance of recovering for damages) does not file against you and develop a "neck injury" when they do.

According to the photo that you provided, you were only a couple of feet into the turn, or he would have hit mid-way down the vehicle or closer to the rear, not the very front panel.

Bottom line, just like your in homeowners thread, you are making mountains out of molehills. Yes, the situations are both unfortunate, and yes, if your car or your house is damaged by another party you can be understandably upset, but the cold hard reality there is that you are blowing both of these incidents way out of proportion and trying to turn them into major battles when they really are minor issues that can be easily overcome, left behind and forgotten.

In this case, any of my adjusters would look at the situation as you described it and at best they would determine that you were both at fault and that each insurance carrier should handle their own insured. Again, that is a best case scenario for you, and that scenario would only apply if the other driver verifies your version of events, in full (and they almost never do). There is nothing for you to fight for here. Just decide if you want to pay your deductible (which may exceed the value of damages) and watch your rates increase, or if you want to just pay for the damages to your vehicle, and hope that the other driver (who has a much better chance of recovering for damages) does not file against you and develop a "neck injury" when they do.

Accelerated I think you are fighting a losing battle in reasoning with the O.P.

Just thought I'd let you know, I have spoken to 6 police officers, 3 body shops, and my agent, and they all agree that based upon what happened, it is the other parties fault. I did find the BMW that pulled out after me, and I left a note on their car to contact me about it so I can use them as a witness. I feel as though things are looking somewhat well for me

Back