Guaranteed Issue - Health Insurance Innovation?

Ask for contracted rate to get the cost down?

You're assuming the surgery is for an emergency where the client deals with the bill later.

If it's a scheduled procedure it doesn't make it through pre-authorization. Gall bladder surgery? The call from the hospital to the patient goes like this:

"We just got off the phone with your insurance company and only $2,000 of this $12,000 procedure is going to be covered. How will you be paying the balance?"

It's nice to talk to agents who know nothing about how billing works - like I used to know nothing when I was new.

No hospital or provider is under any obligation to bill the procedure at Medicare reimbursement rates nor will they. They'll bill at Medicare rates for Medicare patients. Period.

Although these mini-meds can indeed get network re-pricing it's a pittance - generally 10% or so off the tab.

No provider be it a doctor or hospital is going to schedule a procedure without payment being deal with upfront.

What happens in the cases of these mini-meds is the provider calls the carrier and states they need pre-authorization for John Smith's gall bladder procedure. That's when the gig is up and the hospital finds out the Mr. Smith has a mini-med that only reimburses according the Medicare schedules. The hospital says "that's great but we're not contractually obligated to do this procedure at Mediare rates, nor will we."

You have a lot to learn before cramming people into this stuff. If you're selling this and promising your clients that providers have to bill at Medicare reimbursement rates, get a good attorney. If you're selling this and promising people big network discounts, get that same attorney.

Last edited:
But more and more we are seeing prospects who are uninsurable. I don't like HII's surgery benefit either but what happens to uninsurables if they have no coverage - bankruptcy?

Well, just make sure you use a service like RingCentral where you can record you're calls to protect yourself.

If someone is one a mini-med, they still will have signficant medical bills, but at least those bills will be significantly reduced.

And to get almost free coverage, you've got to be on medicaid. How can we just tell them "sorry"? Hipaa is extremely high priced from what I've seen.

I assume you are referring to GoldenRule, who to the best of my knowledge is the carrier that may pay a reduced commission on hipaa cases depending on where you live.

Like HealthAgent said, you won't be able to help everyone.

Do you think lawyers make it a habit of taking on cases they know they don't have a chance of winning? Sometimes you just have to let a lost cause go.

And please for the love of God, don't buy uninsurable leads with the idea you'll be able to sell them mini meds all day long, like the call centers do. It doesn't work.

Just research all the mini meds, find a 1-2 you can stomach and contract with those plans, and be frank with you're clients about how it actually works in real life. Stay away from any plan that has an app fee above $25, and/or affiliated with anyone from AIM health plans.

Docs and hospitals discount for cash, especially these days. Doesn't matter if you have a mini med or just a discount card. Without the cash to pay, no deals.

And you can forget about $10 down and $10 per month. That won't cut it.

Providers will come off 40 - 60% if you have cash.

Although these mini-meds can indeed get network re-pricing it's a pittance - generally 10% or so off the tab.

Quoted for truth!

Lets say you have no health insurance and need a procedure done in the hospital, by a physician. You could ask the hospital/physician,"I don't have any health insurance. What is you cash price for this procedure?".
You would probably pay LESS than the discounted price from the mini med.

If an agent went over the details about exactly how a mini-med worked they wouldn't sell any.

They have to be hyped with "big network discounts" and "providers bill at Medicare reimbursement rates" both of which are lies.

At the end of my pitch my client would say:

"Ok, so let me get this straight. I'm better off just paying out of pocket for the small stuff instead of paying that $250/mo premium and it doesn't cover any large stuff? So what's it do?"

Me: "Nothing."

My biggest beef is clients are being taken great advantage of regarding the premiums. These are near major medical premiums being charged for 1/1,000th the benefits provided.

Last edited:
It's amazing that the restaurant industry's (McDonald's, et.el.) threat to drop their Mini-Med plans caused such a ruckus and forced concessions from the government this past week. Based on this, I would surmise that Mini-Meds are better than NOTHING..for the average person. (Not the rare, saavy consumer who can negotiate to pay cash.)
-A.C.

It's amazing that the restaurant industry's (McDonald's, et.el.) threat to drop their Mini-Med plans caused such a ruckus and forced concessions from the government this past week. Based on this, I would surmise that Mini-Meds are better than NOTHING..for the average person. (Not the rare, saavy consumer who can negotiate to pay cash.)
-A.C.

Hardly. It is just a great PR line to use against Obama and those who voted for HCR. They could point to how it caused people to lose coverage. The quality of coverage, or the lack of quality was irrelevant.

I have had calls from CDC contract workers that have a crap Starbridge plan. One lady a few years ago had some issues, appendicitis maybe, can't recall. Ended up with around $25,000 in charges and the plan paid about $1500.

She was practically in tears when she called looking for something.

I really hate to get calls like that but nothing I can do.

No, I can't help everyone but I can sleep well at night knowing I have never recommended something I would not buy for myself or my family.

Vol is right. Mickey D was playing HHS like a fiddle and it worked like a charm.

Obamacrap is coming apart at the seams. The have now granted waivers to 30 companies and unions with mini meds. A handful of states have waivers on funding Medicaid. People who are paying an arm and a leg for risk pool plans are bitching because they can't get in PCIP and those without PCIP can't afford the premium.

It got tabled but will be back on the radar again. The 1099 thing for businesses that buy $600+ in goods & services. That may not come back up during the lame duck session but you can bet it will come back once the new Congress is sworn in.

And this problem with carriers not wanting to insure kids stand alone won't go away either. Nor will all those MAP's that are going away and the PDP's.

And let's not forget the folks in DC are finally owning up to the fact they have no regulatory authority over the carriers and if the states don't want to play nice, well, Houston, we have a problem.

Sure am glad I didn't vote for that piece of crap legislation.

This is self destructing before it ever get's off the ground.

Back