Handling objections

Insurance is an illogical purchase.

You buy it when you don't need it, then pray you never use it.

Re: Objections

K-Dub said:
I actually carry around a real hospital bill that one of my clients let me have.

heres one of my own......

290367.jpg

Here's a good client of mine that I put on Aetna. This is one visit to the pediactric cardiologist for a routine check-up do to a small hole in the heart. Notice all of this was done in-office so a $2,000+ bill was covered by Aetna in full for the $40 copay. Not too shabby.

I like showing this so people can see that just the doctor fees are $379 and the echocardiogram was $810.

This also goes to finding doctors who actually have this equipment in their offices. If this client would have been sent to an outpatient testing facility then they'd be on the hook for about $1,500 in testing. In this case it's just $40. People need to learn to shop for doctors.

cardiobilleditedch0.jpg

I think that would be a great idea to post common objections and see how you would overcome them.

There was a saying in the car biz, people didn't buy for 3 reasons: Me, Money Machine. They did not like you, or they did not like the car, or it was a money issue.

I guess we have the me, money and policy here. The do not like you, no money, or the policy is wrong (either they do not understand it, or they do not like it enough to buy it). Most objections can stem from there.

I worked in the car business for years and our saying was "it's always the money."

True. I remember my general manager would have this conversation with people:

Customer: "I'm not buying anything today."

Manager: "So if you were our one millionth customer and the car was $1 you wouldn't buy it?"

Customer: "Of course I'd by it for $1."

Manager: "Would you pay $10 for it?"

Customer: "Sure I'd pay $10."

Manager: "So we've established you want the car and it stickers for $24,000. So somewhere between $10 and $24,000 we have a deal. Take a seat."

Let me preface this by stating that, for those of you who are not familiar with Atlanta, Henry W. Grady Memorial Hospital, located in downtown Atlanta, is a Center of Excellence, in their burn unit, but for the most part, it is where all the indigent, medicaid, and illegals go to get served. They wait in lines to be seen, by an underpaid, overworked staff.

When someone says to me that they cannot afford healthcare, I say:

"OK, let me give you the number to Grady. Call them when you need medical attention. The number is: XXX-XXX-XXXX. Go down there, wait in line to be seen, then tell them you can't afford to pay, when they present you with the bill."

The response I usually get is: "Eww. No. I want to go to a REAL doc, and be treated better than that."

Me: "OK, then. Let me get some basic information, and we can see if it's within your budget to get health care. If we can't find anything within your budget, then I'm afraid Grady is it. And, I'd suggest taking MARTA (Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority) down there, 'cause parking's a bitch."

I put a visual in their mind, from the beginning, of waiting in an overcrowded waiting room, with sick, drunk, smelly strangers. I do it twice, before I even begin the fact finding.

Remember, the more beligerent they are, the more they have to hide, medically.

Back