Help! Why Can't I Close Final Expense

Phone sales are hard for someone starting out. My suggestion would be try some other company that has a way for you to get local direct mail leads. Have your tried a direct mail house yet? Not going though someone else but you doing the order and fresh mailers coming in to you. Having fresh new leads and getting out and talking to people is the best way to do FE. You can mail me sometime if you want to talk about what we offer agents.

Jim Sowder
Family 1st Insurance Brokerage
304-640-8914
[EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL]

i had initially started selling locally, which i prefer. the problem is, i just couldn't generate enough leads in the local market.

i did some research and learned, from several different sources, that colorado is supposedly a pretty crappy market for fe and several other insurance products. that's when i decided to focus on telesales. i researched markets and chose north carolina, partly because i didn't want to go head-to-head with some of the big players in places like georgia and texas.

north carolina generated lots of fresh leads every day.

i would rather sell face-to-face. telesales is not much fun. i'd rather NOT sell in my pajamas. i like to be around people, meet them, etc.

i have considered looking into some different products, such as mortgage life and simplified term, in hopes of getting access to local leads.

can i prove that i am licensed in every state in which i sell? well my credentials are under my real name...not "missingbigbad," so i guess not.:1baffled:

Interesting. Can you share with us why this is?
i have no idea. first, i had a couple agents tell me that co was a very weak fe market...same with annuities. then i found some marketability rankings for all 50 states.

it seems to fit with what i've found. i spent a ton of money in co and got a handful of leads. i spent a little money in nc and got a ton of leads. my friend is working mo and has been able to get tons of leads. the dollar to lead ratio seems to fit pretty neatly with the rankings.

if someone knows how to get local fe leads for the denver area, i'd love to get that info. like i said, i prefer to sell face-to-face.

I would get a company that doens't require me to send apps!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
People move away from Colorado long before they die. Places like NC, AZ, and FL are full of people just waiting to die.

HEY! I live in NC! I'm alive and well and wanting to LIVE!! :laugh:

I would see if I could contract with Baltimore Life and Lincoln Heritage. They don't require wet signatures. Heck I HATE field selling since I now sell over the phone. No gas, no no shows. Still same issue getting up with people who say call me back, but for the most part, they buy, well at least in NC where they are at deaths door!

Last edited:
Please share the marketability rankings. Sounds interesting.

i have no idea. first, i had a couple agents tell me that co was a very weak fe market...same with annuities. then i found some marketability rankings for all 50 states.

it seems to fit with what i've found. i spent a ton of money in co and got a handful of leads. i spent a little money in nc and got a ton of leads. my friend is working mo and has been able to get tons of leads. the dollar to lead ratio seems to fit pretty neatly with the rankings.

if someone knows how to get local fe leads for the denver area, i'd love to get that info. like i said, i prefer to sell face-to-face.

in response to jim, i have not run mailers. i have a non-disclosure agreement with my upline, so i can't discuss the method for getting leads.

the leads are generally older folks with incomes of under 40k. i'm paying about 4-6 bucks per lead.

here is the ranking for insurance marketability from one source. i ran this against population, percent of population over 65, and percent of population with income below 40k.

based on all that info, i like north carolina. texas georgia and florida look good, but there are some heavy hitters in those states. being a rookie, i'd hate to go up against them.

RANKING FOR MARKETING INSURANCE PRODUCTS
1. Florida
2. California
3. Texas
4. Ohio
5. Georgia
6. Wisconsin
7. Minnesota
8. North Carolina
9. Michigan
10. Missouri
11. Tennessee
12. Oregon
13. Alabama
14. Kentucky
15. Arkansas
16. Kansas
17. Mississippi
18. Oklahoma
19. Nebraska
20. Utah
21 New Mexico
22 West Virginia
23. North Dakota
24. Montana
25. Maine
26. Louisiana
27. Pennsylvania
28. Montana
29. Iowa
30. Idaho
31. Illinois
32. Delaware
33. Massachusetts
34. South Dakota
35. New Hampshire
36. Connecticut
37. Virginia
38. Maryland
39. Washington
40. New Jersey
41. New York
42. Indiana
43. Alaska
44. Wyoming
45. Vermont
46. Rhode Island
47. Colorado
48. Arizona
49. Nevada
50. Hawaii

I would say that your problem is your leads and likely your upline. They may be selling you leads that have been worked a year ago and didn't buy.

Do your own mailings. Get out there face to face and sell it.

Back