• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Hometown Quotes Offer

Of course those numbers could include 10 zips with heavy traffic and 6 agents get the lead and 20 zips with virtually no traffic and one agent gets the lead.

I won't name the source (I think he's still on the Forum) but he provided great insight after working for a major lead company for quite a while.

I am gonna have to call BS big time, if you only sold a lead less than twice, then you would be going belly up!

If I buy auto leads from you, I only have to beat one agent?
Home, I only have to beat another agent maybe half the time?

I'll take that as you not knowing me. :)

Numbers are legit indeed.

They are nationwide and we can give specifics down the zip code for any agent that calls. I doubt you want that here though...dang that would be a long freaking post.

Let's look at homeowners for example:

Nationwide average - 1.79 times in July.

State - Times Sold - % of Total Volume

CA - 2.38 - 11.3%
OK - 2.25 - 2.2%
WA - 2.51 - 3.1%
FL - 1.41 - 19.1%
LA - 1.17 - 2.9%

Those states drag down the nationwide avg. But it's also insanely cheap to market in those areas on Google and MSN. So we still make a bit. Add on Mississippi, coastal TX, NC, SC, and GA (which average right around LA) and 30%-ish of our volume is sold less than 1.41 times.

I won't share anymore publicly, but that sample gives you a good idea.

They are nationwide and we can give specifics down the zip code for any agent that calls. I doubt you want that here though...dang that would be a long freaking post.

CA - 2.38 - 11.3%
OK - 2.25 - 2.2%
WA - 2.51 - 3.1%
FL - 1.41 - 19.1%
LA - 1.17 - 2.9%

Those states drag down the nationwide avg. But it's also insanely cheap to market in those areas on Google and MSN. So we still make a bit. Add on Mississippi, coastal TX, NC, SC, and GA (which average right around LA) and 30%-ish of our volume is sold less than 1.41 times.

This is wans't the case when I spoke to someone the other day. They had about 4 agents in the areas I checked in Florida.

CA - 2.38 - 11.3%
OK - 2.25 - 2.2%
WA - 2.51 - 3.1%
FL - 1.41 - 19.1%
LA - 1.17 - 2.9%

No, no, no... Please continue...

This is wans't the case when I spoke to someone the other day. They had about 4 agents in the areas I checked in Florida.

There are a few pockets where we have normalcy but also, having 4 agents doesn't mean the average lead is sold 4 times.

For example (this is totally made up but paints the picture):

1 agent filters out homes older than 10 years and mobile homes and caps his leads at 2/day (we get 10/day in his area)
1 agent filters out poor and average credit, homes older than 20 years, mobile homes, anything other than primary residences, attack breed dogs, and applicants with any claims.
2 are with the same company (so only 1 can get the lead) - they both heavily filter as well.

So if we get 10 leads:

3 go unsold because the home is 20+ years old, they have poor or average credit, or its a mobile home, etc.
1 goes unsold b/c the first agent with less filters hit his cap. Otherwise, he would have gotten it.
3 are sold to both agent 1 & 2
2 are sold to agent 2 & 3/4
1 is sold to all of them (3/4 being one agent)

9 times sold for 10 leads = 0.9 times average

Again just an example, but pretty common in coastal areas...heavily filtered and low caps.

I have used many of the lead generation companies, Hometown Quotes included, and in my experience, they all have pros and cons. I say free leads are always worth it.

Back