How do I get started

I'll tell you, when I stopped doing the pushy sales thing about 12 years ago, I really started to enjoy this business. There is a place in this industry for someone with more if a teacher's mentality.

The Commissioned Explainer so to speak. :yes:

I didn't say being pushy was a part of sales at all. However I think I do a pretty good job of closing on health insurance without coming across pushy. My best compliments are "You don't seem like an Insurance Agent"

Plus it's a little different if you are actually seeing the clients. I sell 1000 policies a year and never see any of my clients face to face. It's a little more difficult to let them "Take their time" and "Figure out What's Important" when you're closing over the phone.

I tell them what is important and simply let them know that I recommend certain plans over another for whatever reasons.

But to each his own.

Fair enough. However, w/ all due respect, its hard to believe that with 1000 sold in a year that you're not on the pushy side my friend. 1000 cases in a year for one agent is enormous. Your service work must be daunting at this stage.

I didn't say being pushy was a part of sales at all. However I think I do a pretty good job of closing on health insurance without coming across pushy. My best compliments are "You don't seem like an Insurance Agent"

Plus it's a little different if you are actually seeing the clients. I sell 1000 policies a year and never see any of my clients face to face. It's a little more difficult to let them "Take their time" and "Figure out What's Important" when you're closing over the phone.

I tell them what is important and simply let them know that I recommend certain plans over another for whatever reasons.

But to each his own.

You write 20 policies a week? Allow me to edit that since my 1st response was pretty brutal. I choose not to believe you write 5 plans a day at $3,500 a copy X 20% commish wuold equal 14K per week. You can send me proof and I'll be glad to apologize.

Last edited:
John,

I do a lot of apps each month. I have one other producer on the office but most all apps run through me.
I do most of my business with BCBS of TN, Assurant, Aetna, UHC and various other carriers like Humana, BCross of CA , UNicare, Anthem in several states, Blue Shield of California.

I spend a lot of money marketing my website. In fact a lot of agents on this very board used to buy leads from me. I work extremely hard to produce the apps that I do and don't appreciate being called a liar.

Granted and I do apologize. When you say "most of the apps run through me" is that to say that you and another guy combined do that? It's still impressive.

And by the way, allow me to point out that Saleswolf did indeed email me his production.

Not only is he kicking some serious ass but he's very ethical by spreading out his business thorugh Blue Cross, Aetna, United, and Assurant. The level of production is insane and I'd say that he's probably the number 1 producing independent agent in the entire country.

Saleswolf - I apologize and bow to your work ethic.

Saleswolf, what are your secrets to success? What do you suggest that a new agent do in order to become successful?

And by the way, allow me to point out that Saleswolf did indeed email me his production.

Not only is he kicking some serious ass but he's very ethical by spreading out his business thorugh Blue Cross, Aetna, United, and Assurant. The level of production is insane and I'd say that he's probably the number 1 producing independent agent in the entire country.

Saleswolf - I apologize and bow to your work ethic.

In John's defense...not that he needs it though.

There is always a small amount of producers boasting about their fictitious production on forums...it's a bit harder to prove it when you can't see the person and make a judgment for yourself(although you might be surprised on how often your judgment prove you wrong!)

Saleswolf, that sounds like a hell of an operation that you have going on...even if you have team to support you.

I'd pay to talk to you on the phone one the subject setting up a health insurance website, I'm going to totally redo mine...which is long overdue.

Welcome to the forum!

This guy writes more deals in a week then some agents write in a year. And it's not sub-agents just writing under his number since a fair portion of his business is Blue Cross and Aetna. He's also on the phone 4 hours a day just contacting people.

Back