How do I get started

I am a life and health agent in the senior market. Should I get my P&C to offer to my current book of do you think it would be a waste of time. How much do you make off of home and auto and do you have to have an office for P&C?

P&C

Maybe I'm hearing something you all are not saying, but I have not seen any mention of the difficulty of getting a P&C company to give you a contract.

The time I looked into it I could not find a company to get a contract with. They had all the representation they needed in my community, there would also have been strong production numbers to hit, and I don't think they would have been interested in a home based agency.

Not trying to be negative, am I missing something?

Well, they mostly do have strong production numbers. You could always go to progressive but you need a business address for auto. If you wanted to do homeowners, you could do non-standard through formost. www.foremost.com.

If you're honestly wanting to do P&C it's always best to start under a general agent. Example in order to become a GA with State Farm you have to have two years of P&C insurance exp.

I stated before with all insurance my opinion is simple. Specialize, don't try to sell everything. Pick a main line, and run with it. Pick a few products to offer as a suppliment but don't push with it. When you know what you're offering, you know your market, when you know your market you know every time you call either cold or warm you have targeted leads, even if they don't know it.

Hello Okiegirl,
Not sure if you're still reading these but specializing would be my advice and I agree with zacharychapple about that. Pick an area that you would find the most interesting and learn all there is to know about it. Forget about "sales techniques" and "closing deals." People buy from agents that they sense know what they're talking about.

Just to add to that. Take individual health insurance for example. There are very few people who completely focus on it but there is a great need for good agents who will honestly explain health insurance plans to people.

There is so much to know in any one area of insurance that specializing will benefit you greatly. Too much to know in any one area to really know them all well in my opinion. P&C brokers refer health to me and vice versa because we know the mountain of knowledge that is necessary. Not saying that it can't be done but its daunting to do everything and actually be good at it.

Originally Posted by Wprice
I'll be honest with you, I hate to sell, I hate pushing stuff on people, it stresses me out to no end. I feel slimy and ridiculous. I present information to people, answer any questions they have, follow up, and sign agreements. Agreements, not sales.

I love SALES and closing, I think if you don't enjoy it then you're in the wrong business. You don't have to be pushy in sales but you must be pro active. You can't wait for the client to make their decisions while another agent is being aggressive and telling them whatever you're offering sucks.

SalesWolf - "I love SALES and closing, I think if you don't enjoy it then you're in the wrong business. You don't have to be pushy in sales but you must be pro active. You can't wait for the client to make their decisions while another agent is being aggressive and telling them whatever you're offering sucks." :nah:

I think you're subconsciously doubting yourself. You can wait for the clients to make the decision. I advise them to take their time and to let me send them a proposal before committing. If you explain why they should take their time, the customer gains trust. The agent that tries to be "pro active" by "telling them whatever you're offering sucks" will not appear genuine and out for the clients best interests, only their own. Yes, the closing agent will get his/her share. But, the patient professional agent will get more quality business.

I never close at all. People close me after extensive consultations on various plans by saying "Ok, what do I need to do to get plan X or plan Y." If some desparate, greedy agent is going to come on strong, it backfires over time. Chargebacks, burn-out, low persistency etc.

How can you make the claim that someone is in the wrong business if they don't enjoy being pushy? I love this business my way and you allegedly love it your way. Whatever works.

I let a friend come over to present his 2K sweeper to me last night as a favor. I cant beleive how pushy this f'er was. I never planned on buying I was just letting him practice. He seemed mad when he left. I think they tell them to make people feel sorry for you so they will buy.

I told him to sell insurance instead of a 2k sweeper. He had no interest and I dont know why.???

Back