How do you find prospects with money?

owz3.jpg

100%.

I ended up firing a prospect this morning.

Has an insurance agent, but couldn't get a solid dental plan. Likes to talk over you stated something like "you have to do whatever it takes to get the sale", along with always talking about how much money he has and how much money all his friends and people make.

$3000 dental claim within a month of him signing up was anticipated. I have a group plan, which eliminates waiting periods and exclusions for pre-existing conditions.

Legally he could sign up.. but I'm 90% sure dude is going to cancel after the claim is paid. I just don't want to have bad business written under my license or E&O... Especially for $100 a year.

My Spidey sense has been tingling since he first called, but I thought I'd go through the normal process until I made a decision on him...

After he sent me an email this morning telling me "I have to evaluate if it's worth buying the insurance or not.." without ever letting me present the product and make sure we were a good fit, I.called it.
From the looks of my production the last couple of months I fired an agent!

Clients can feel when you're desperate. Don't be desperate, find solutions and Genuinely care about your clients needs. The compensation will follow naturally. Listen more and do less talking.

$3000 dental claim within a month of him signing up was anticipated. I have a group plan, which eliminates waiting periods and exclusions for pre-existing conditions.

Legally he could sign up.. but I'm 90% sure dude is going to cancel after the claim is paid. I just don't want to have bad business written under my license or E&O... Especially for $100 a year.

This is a rather two faced post. You don't seem to think dental insurance is a good purchase, apparently because one can't make a profit on it.

Your attitude about that is a bit like using Uber and then expecting the driver to pay you five bucks.

Now you fire a prospect because you think he is going to adopt your attitude towards dental insurance and you think his actions will look bad on your insurance record.

Kind of amusing.

This is a rather two faced post. You don't seem to think dental insurance is a good purchase, apparently because one can't make a profit on it.

Your attitude about that is a bit like using Uber and then expecting the driver to pay you five bucks.

Now you fire a prospect because you think he is going to adopt your attitude towards dental insurance and you think his actions will look bad on your insurance record.

Kind of amusing.

What's ironic is all of your Google searching makes you an absolute expert about nothing with insurance. You're just an anal-retentive "know it all" that's full of crap. Thanks for questioning my integrity.

I can make a profit off dental. If you knew anything about senior health commissions, I make money over time. Year 1 I never expect to make a profit.

However, in most cases, it's not worth the hassle and the MAJORITY of seniors want dental until you tell them about the cost and limitations.

You're absolutely right. I have a license and contract that I have to protect. If I thought someone was participating in Medicare fraud, I'd deny writing their Medigap policy too.

Furthermore, it's my responsibility to ensure I accept good risk, regardless of if I think a product is good or not, when I write an application. Again, if you actually knew anything about the insurance industry, you'd know my personal feelings about dental and my actual responsibilities to the client AND company are not mutually inclusive.

I write good business. My job isn't to write every person that calls me. Just like it isn't every person's job that calls me to sign up.

You heart dental. Great. Go get licensed and sell it or stfu. You offer no real value here and that's why everyone shits on you or ignores you.

Look up adverse risk and insurance fraud, asshat.

Last edited:
Here are a couple.

Amazon product ASIN 1989025013
Amazon product ASIN 0321965515
This book started me in a new marketing direction and changed my "selling" style. It made me realize I needed to do what I had been doing most of my career . . . ask questions and provide ANSWERS instead of using a canned sales speech.

Amazon product ASIN 1402287526
Anything by Seth Godin and Jeffrey Gitomer will help you train your mind to think like a consumer.

Thank you for the recommendation!! I'm reading the "1 page marketing plan" and it's excellent.

Thank you for the recommendation!! I'm reading the "1 page marketing plan" and it's excellent.

Always love it when good advice offered on the forum is taken, and then someone follows up by letting folks know.

Good for you. The day I stop learning is the day they close the lid.

Look up adverse risk and insurance fraud, asshat.

Basically, LostDollar....no agent worth his salt should write a piece of business that he knows or highly suspects the client intends to abuse. Not only is it ethically wrong, but done enough within a certain timeframe, the agent's license and appointment status can be placed in jeopardy.

Last edited:
Always love it when good advice offered on the forum is taken, and then someone follows up by letting folks know.

Good for you. The day I stop learning is the day they close the lid.

Thanks, good advice is always welcomed. Like I said before, I never did direct mailing or leads, I would go out and prospect on the street but my situation has changed and I have to do things differently now.

Back