How to avoid deer-in-headlight syndrome

Charpress

Guru
1000 Post Club
I have a seminar coming up in 2 weeks that was planned and paid for before the recent (well, most recent) market tanking.

I will be stressing safety and moving away from market risk -the usual thing. Here's the problem, when there is a reasonably volatile market it is fairly easy to get people to move because they are merely nervous about he market.

With what we are seeing now, people I meet literally look like deer in the headlights. They are scared silly and don't want to move anything. This is mostly because they have lost so much that they will not even consider taking the losses by liquidating.

You can make the usual arguments about stopping losses and participating in future gains if the market comes back with indexing, but right now it does not seem to be working.

Any bright ideas out there? I hate to put on an expensive seminar and look out at 35 deer in the headlights.

I feel your pain. I'm in the same situation. My first seminar is Oct 21 and I'm wondering how the people will respond.

I'm going to be positive on safety. Sure, there are the one's in denial that you speak of - they're afraid to make a move. Move on.

I'm sure that 09 will be a difficult time for many. Only the most flexible will survive.

Certainly would if I could.

The mail is paid for and gone. I will take whatever lumps I have to.

However, surely there are some ideas in our brain pool here that might help convince people that they should consider taking action. I need some brainstorming here. We are all facing this problem and postponing a living is not going to help. This problem is probably going to get worse, not better.

I actually added a slide to my presentation with a very nice photo taken over a deer's shoulder of an oncoming SUV. I am considering approaching the subject head-on starting with "this deer can jump to the left, or he can jump to the right, or he can stay where he is and get clobbered."

I have a seminar coming up in 2 weeks that was planned and paid for before the recent (well, most recent) market tanking.

I will be stressing safety and moving away from market risk -the usual thing. Here's the problem, when there is a reasonably volatile market it is fairly easy to get people to move because they are merely nervous about he market.

With what we are seeing now, people I meet literally look like deer in the headlights. They are scared silly and don't want to move anything. This is mostly because they have lost so much that they will not even consider taking the losses by liquidating.

You can make the usual arguments about stopping losses and participating in future gains if the market comes back with indexing, but right now it does not seem to be working.

Any bright ideas out there? I hate to put on an expensive seminar and look out at 35 deer in the headlights.

call them and tell them the topic of seminar will be changed to practical and secure methods of hoarding cash in and around your house during the new depression

Lower their fear factor by making them feel like they are in control and making decisions rather than just being victimized.

"Probably many of you were looking to get into a safer, more predictable environment at this time in your life, and with the market being down it lets you transition without paying as much in taxes."

Of course, it all depends on where you are headed. If you are promoting a fixed rate annuity then some things are true. If you are promoting an EIA or bonds or some other equities then that is another can of worms. And then the tax thing is different for qualified versus non-qual and so on.

Last edited:
I usually promote indexed products and get into the whole 15 minutes of my 1 hour on explaining how indexing works.

Not this time.

I plan to focus on fixed and guaranteed products that can have good accumulation, can be converted to income, and still have a decent death benefit.

In other words, KISS, and contrast the simplicity of guaranteed growth to the complexity of Wall Street.

I could even get into the idea of take your capital losses now and convert your IRA to a Roth in 1010. But I don't really want to go there.

I'm not worried about getting a good response and I'm not worried about getting appointments. I'm worried about getting decisions.

If you're serving food (or paying for it) be sure to renegotiate the rate and be ready to change the location. Restaurants need the business these days, and if you change the location due to getting a better deal elsewhere, you'll be rid of the last-minute, no rsvp, platelickers!

Back