How to Handle Unhappy Customers

agent992

ive done sales for a long time but recently started selling insurance..remotely. many customesr are nice, though some are rude or jerks. The problem I have is with some customers who treat someone like theyre incompetent or stupid- when we're not. Also, I'm an honest agent, eg, a customer called in to sign up for a plan. She got a quote from another agent who told her the plan included doctors visits. I told her they don't - b/c they don't. She signed up through me, for a more expensive plan that did include doctor visits. Now she's calling to cancel with erroneous excuses- she can't get in the website- or other reasons. there was no website to get into. she's being a b*. Should I just go with what she was told and sign her up since customers seem to appreciate dishonesty and lies over someone telling them the truth? this has happened before and customers seem to believe the liars over those telling them the truth.

also im big on customer service but constnatly dealing with customers who are rude to me or making me feel as if im not helping them out. 5/1 just started and I have tons of customers calling me telling me their ID cards aren't in- rather than calling the insurance company. does anyone else experience rude or weird customers- it seems to me that customers just like agents who make up stories and lie to them. I'll even try to tell them the truth and they refuse to believe me...

Last edited:
I fired a client that was been a PITA for years. Did it last week telling her to find another agent.

No reason to put up with idiots. I put up with enough idiots on this forum.

Rick

76452d1392330272-new-ohio-upset-well-bye-meme-663.jpg

Last edited:
oh ok..that's a good idea. I didnt know you could really do that. I'm scared to be rude because I'm worried some vindictive client is going to go complaining about me somewhere, who knows. But I think it is a good idea to not deal with people who are being difficult just to be rude..

Set the expectations of your relationship early. Sometimes you can set them straight but usually if they are the type of person that pushes and treats everyone like a their low level employee fire them. They will take more time and energy than five other clients.

That type of person is like that in many aspects of their life. They will not change. Fire them.

Set the expectations of your relationship early. Sometimes you can set them straight but usually if they are the type of person that pushes and treats everyone like a their low level employee fire them. They will take more time and energy than five other clients.

That type of person is like that in many aspects of their life. They will not change. Fire them.

I am so glad that I learned this principle from this forum this early in my career. I have fired a couple of clients, but also have learned that certain prospects are worth not writing.

I am so glad that I learned this principle from this forum this early in my career. I have fired a couple of clients, but also have learned that certain prospects are worth not writing.

I had a conversation about this today with a buddy that is a top Farmers agent. This guy has several CSRs that he could pawn the PIAs off on but learned long ago to purge them.

If they see you as just a salesman then they will treat you as a peddler.

As I read your open and your complaint I have to wonder if you understand this business. The reason those people are calling you is because they bought from you. You're getting paid by those people to provide service beyond filling out an app, or why should they bother with you?

They're calling you because you're who they know. Would you rather they call another agent as ask advice or help from them? I mean how fast can that other agent get a AOR produced and start collecting your commissions?

I mean try your best to help, but understand they are calling you because they trusted you enough to buy from you. Actually, you should take it as a compliment as they are paying one. You see, you are their insurance guy.

cheers.

If they're not asking you to do things that are illegal, then I'd just suck it up and be servile, unless they become demeaning, which is rare. You're usually going to be dealing with a better class of people anyway, they're the ones that can afford all of this stuff.

I have a Doctor client who was the biggest pita for a long time. We were close in age and he was always asking me to fill out the app and sign his name, which I refused. It didn't stop him from asking for Life, DI, Health, etc. Next he wanted me to notarize the signature of someone that wasn't even in the Country..he assured me that it was ok (which I didn't do).

I still have him, but I get nervous every time he calls, like yesterday, He sends me an email with his new phone number, instructions to sign him for a new health carrier, and to sign his application and payment info, which he sent in the email unencrypted. He never changes and I'm sure he's pissed off now because I sent the app to him for a sig on the app and eft form.

What Larry said, calling you and asking about ID cards is a generally a good thing. Although you do need to do a better job of explaining up front when they will get them. That will cut down on the number of calls, just the people who don't listen or can't remember will call you unless the cards never arrive.

That said, you don't have to put up with rude or demeaning people. You shouldn't be rude to them either, just tell them you think it is best they work with another agent and good bye.

You don't have to single handily fix the problem, you just need to make them feel better.

Sympathize, apologize, blame Obama, and get them a temporary card.Easy as that. They should hang up the phone feeling better, if you are getting mad you aren't doing it right.

Back