How to Handle Unhappy Customers

ive done sales for a long time but recently started selling insurance..remotely. many customesr are nice, though some are rude or jerks. The problem I have is with some customers who treat someone like theyre incompetent or stupid- when we're not. Also, I'm an honest agent, eg, a customer called in to sign up for a plan. She got a quote from another agent who told her the plan included doctors visits. I told her they don't - b/c they don't. She signed up through me, for a more expensive plan that did include doctor visits. Now she's calling to cancel with erroneous excuses- she can't get in the website- or other reasons. there was no website to get into. she's being a b*. Should I just go with what she was told and sign her up since customers seem to appreciate dishonesty and lies over someone telling them the truth? this has happened before and customers seem to believe the liars over those telling them the truth.

also im big on customer service but constnatly dealing with customers who are rude to me or making me feel as if im not helping them out. 5/1 just started and I have tons of customers calling me telling me their ID cards aren't in- rather than calling the insurance company. does anyone else experience rude or weird customers- it seems to me that customers just like agents who make up stories and lie to them. I'll even try to tell them the truth and they refuse to believe me...

Why don't you just put comparison of both policies in front of her and if she still doesn't agree let her go happily. Agents r just want to maximize sale rather than after sales service so u put all options in front of her and see what happens

In defense of this person- she's green. I felt the same way when I first got started. People really ARE dumb. It's hard to understand it when you are fresh into this business. It takes time and experience to know how to handle the nutters. At the beginning they were ALL nutters, now they are the uneducated.
Do be too hard on the gal. She'll get there.

This is why we're nice to you. When you know what you're doing we'll be mean.

Rick

i totally agree with cindy...and how customers can be for sure.. though I'm not sure if being in this any longer is going to help change much when dealing with these people..btw, how do you handle the crazy ones..ive learned it's difficult or can be...im patient and nice but I know that doesn't always work...for the arrogant person with the 'options'..you dont know everything or anything or can assess a situation in any way. Customers can be crazy and are...im trying to understand how to handle them. There's nothing being done wrong or my attitude--i have a good attitude and am patient and nice to customers as many have told me...

in any sense, you're the one with the attitude..by even saying something like that...this forum has a lot of bullies and arrogant people not sure why..i guess insurance agents online just like to think theyre better than others, when they're not better than anyone...

dhk saying that i need to first read the customer and assess--im past sales 101..way beyond that..this is past any kind of really good sales tactics I already possess..ive even had customers say..you're really good...you're so convincing. I had one person tell me i was just so good and she couldn't get why...sometimes you can be too good, sometimes it just doesn't matter and sometimes you have to change your strategies depending on who you're selling to...i agree with vic101 who said that in this market theres a lot of competition and people do seem to agree with the liars not the honest people...

I think customers are being idiots, jerks and taking advantage of the situation...if I had a broker I wouldn't be harassing my broker for anything..normal educated decent people get this. They call with questions but aren't stupid enough to bombard a person with nonsense. Another customer, who should have called me, decided not to, then get mad at the insurance company and cancel her policy. In her case she def should have called me b/c she was being told different things but decided not to. Customers are idiots many are..and rude and mean. I suspect they take advantage of me b/c im kind caring and nice... most people take advantage of the kind caring and nice...as an agent I don't expect these customers to call me at any sign of anything esp with things they can get done themself. They can call the company and give their credit card info...but they have to call me and have me do it...why? they receive a letter from said company that their cc was declined...and theyre calling me about it..why not just call the company? another guy is now calling me every other day with questions about plan info and other stuff..

I have a ton of other things to do..i can't baby stupid impatient and lazy customers on every little thing...that is def not my job as an agent...i had one customer, ask me to send her a quote, then 'insult' the way the quote was sent- she was implying that it wasn't professional in some way...which was uncalled for...there are *** agents just taking people's banking info, giving them no information and not even getting them policies, and someone who is sending her a thorough quote with detailed info isnt 'professional.'

I think she was being rude and belittling me...it then makes me reluctant to even want to deal with someone like her. Someone who's going to treat u like crap is going to keep doing so..regardless it's not ok. Then after back and forth communication, and i contacted her recently, she said she went with another policy- im guessing the one she went with wasn't any more professional probably much less, but she just went with it.. just because. Customers are moronic, imbecilic, rude. some can be, not all. one man was yelling venting to me..why? b/c he's a psycho *** who thinks he can get away with it..b/c im a 'sales person'. Then he doesnt even buy from me totally but sort of implying I could have persuaded him.

many act angry and on a powertrip..not sure what is wrong with them but they def dont have the place to be that way...

----------

vic120...seriously...internet mass bullying..only the weak sit around trying to impress losers and morons like gollini and dhk..oh why...b/c it gets you bonus points somewhere? who is gollini or DHK? why are they so bent on trying to put me down when im here trying to get sales advice as an agent...

i feel sorry that you're a weak internet loser who has to succumb to bigger idiots like DHK or gollini...you'd think mature people were over kindergarten games but not at all...the internet is still full of this nonsense...

and calling people names doesnt make someone a 'troll'...DHK and gollini are both the TROLLS for sitting here being rude or jerks to someone just posting on a forum...why is it that the actual trolls call posters trolls...so weird and strange...i also again dont get why a group of arrogant lowly insurance agents sit on forums thinking theyre high and mightier than others....if you live on any forum or even put anyone down anywhere...you're a loser...it means you have a defect in your mind and soul which makes you feel better when you're putting others down...that's not a strength its a weakness and a sickness...

gollini is the actual TROLL..sitting here constantly responding with pointless and negative remarks towards a poster just posting questions and talking or ranting...that's what TROLLING is..trolling is NOT posting a question seeking advice or feedback...DHK is the troll too trying to seek attention in some form or a voice..not sure why by attempting to either put the poster down or implying it's the posters fault in some way which isnt truthful or even constructive criticism but just rudeness and being a troll...so i really hope the two trolls on this posting DHK and gollini find something better to do with their large amount of time they have apparently sitting on forums being rude and stupid...

then you have the big bad idiots trying to lure in the weaklings like vic120 who are like...damn right! change that attitude..gollini knows what he's talking about...and again what do you get for this 'collective pack group consensus..a pat on the back? respect from other "internet forum members"...so pathetic...
a powertrip? really sad...strange and sad...

its always the posters who get the most attention somehow that draw the attention from the jerks trolls and low lifes trying to bring them down...always
im surprised i havent been banned yet from some moderator for generating even this amount of attention just for asking a question....

Last edited:
i totally agree with cindy...and how customers can be for sure.. though I'm not sure if being in this any longer is going to help change much when dealing with these people..btw, how do you handle the crazy ones..ive learned it's difficult or can be...im patient and nice but I know that doesn't always work...for the arrogant person with the 'options'..you dont know everything or anything or can assess a situation in any way. Customers can be crazy and are...im trying to understand how to handle them. There's nothing being done wrong or my attitude--i have a good attitude and am patient and nice to customers as many have told me...

in any sense, you're the one with the attitude..by even saying something like that...this forum has a lot of bullies and arrogant people not sure why..i guess insurance agents online just like to think theyre better than others, when they're not better than anyone...

I think customers are being idiots, jerks and taking advantage of the situation...if I had a broker I wouldn't be harassing my broker for anything..normal educated decent people get this. They call with questions but aren't stupid enough to bombard a person with nonsense. Another customer, who should have called me, decided not to, then get mad at the insurance company and cancel her policy. In her case she def should have called me b/c she was being told different things but decided not to. Customers are idiots many are..and rude and mean. I suspect they take advantage of me b/c im kind caring and nice... most people take advantage of the kind caring and nice...as an agent I don't expect these customers to call me at any sign of anything esp with things they can get done themself. They can call the company and give their credit card info...but they have to call me and have me do it...why? they receive a letter from said company that their cc was declined...and theyre calling me about it..why not just call the company? another guy is now calling me every other day with questions about plan info and other stuff..

I have a ton of other things to do..i can't baby stupid impatient and lazy customers on every little thing...that is def not my job as an agent...i had one customer, ask me to send her a quote, then 'insult' the way the quote was sent- she was implying that it wasn't professional in some way...which was uncalled for...there are *** agents just taking people's banking info, giving them no information and not even getting them policies, and someone who is sending her a thorough quote with detailed info isnt 'professional.'

I think she was being rude and belittling me...it then makes me reluctant to even want to deal with someone like her. Someone who's going to treat u like crap is going to keep doing so..regardless it's not ok. Then after back and forth communication, and i contacted her recently, she said she went with another policy- im guessing the one she went with wasn't any more professional probably much less, but she just went with it.. just because. Customers are moronic, imbecilic, rude. some can be, not all. one man was yelling venting to me..why? b/c he's a psycho *** who thinks he can get away with it..b/c im a 'sales person'. Then he doesnt even buy from me totally but sort of implying I could have persuaded him.

many act angry and on a powertrip..not sure what is wrong with them but they def dont have the place to be that way...

----------

vic120...seriously...internet mass bullying..only the weak sit around trying to impress losers and morons like gollini and dhk..oh why...b/c it gets you bonus points somewhere? who is gollini or DHK? why are they so bent on trying to put me down when im here trying to get sales advice as an agent...

i feel sorry that you're a weak internet loser who has to succumb to bigger idiots like DHK or gollini...you'd think mature people were over kindergarten games but not at all...the internet is still full of this nonsense...

and calling people names doesnt make someone a 'troll'...DHK and gollini are both the TROLLS for sitting here being rude or jerks to someone just posting on a forum...why is it that the actual trolls call posters trolls...so weird and strange...i also again dont get why a group of arrogant lowly insurance agents sit on forums thinking theyre high and mightier than others....if you live on any forum or even put anyone down anywhere...you're a loser...it means you have a defect in your mind and soul which makes you feel better when you're putting others down...that's not a strength its a weakness and a sickness...

then you have the big bad idiots trying to lure in the weaklings like vic120 who are like...damn right! change that attitude..gollini knows what he's talking about...and again what do you get for this 'collective pack group consensus..a pat on the back? respect from other "internet forum members"...so pathetic...

its always the posters who get the most attention somehow that draw the attention from the jerks trolls and low lifes trying to bring them down...always
im surprised i havent been banned yet from some moderator for generating even this amount of attention just for asking a question....

Hahahaha, I rarely run into anyone like you describe and you seem to attract them like flies on sh*t. Like I said earlier...the problem is you. With the way you feel about your clients, it's a wonder you keep any of them. I'm sure they can sense your hatred and disgust for them in your voice.

to big boss, the customer did buy from me the policy i told her about- but then she called later and acted angry and irrational for no reason- claiming she couldn't log onto some website which made no sense. She acted as if I did something wrong or was just being rude. I was honest with her and told her the truth..the other agent had lied to her. So she bought the plan, then got angry about it, just stupid....but prior to her buying from me she was leaving multiple VM's wanting to buy the previous plan which was cheaper but didnt include doc visits but was told it did wrongly by the other agent...

i learned a lesson...i'll just sell them the plan they were originally told regardless of what it covers or not...i won't be honest with them and just get the sale b/c they'd rather be fooled and told lies over being told the truth..b/c they're stupid. Had i just sold her the original plan she was quoted, she would have been happy and no problems...but b/c i told her the truth about it now she's angry and acting weird

----------

gollini, get a life u pathetic troll...you're crazy...

ive seen that many top agents have the same number of chargebacks as me and agents do in general...you're a jerk and a low life..find someone else to harass since you have nothing better to do with your wasteful time you creep

to big boss, the customer did buy from me the policy i told her about- but then she called later and acted angry and irrational for no reason- claiming she couldn't log onto some website which made no sense. She acted as if I did something wrong or was just being rude. I was honest with her and told her the truth..the other agent had lied to her. So she bought the plan, then got angry about it, just stupid....but prior to her buying from me she was leaving multiple VM's wanting to buy the previous plan which was cheaper but didnt include doc visits but was told it did wrongly by the other agent...

i learned a lesson...i'll just sell them the plan they were originally told regardless of what it covers or not...i won't be honest with them and just get the sale b/c they'd rather be fooled and told lies over being told the truth..b/c they're stupid...

----------

gollini, get a life u pathetic troll...you're crazy...

ive seen that many top agents have the same number of chargebacks as me and agents do in general...you're a jerk and a low life..find someone else to harass since you have nothing better to do with your wasteful time you creep

Great plan. You're the kind of agent everyone wants. An agent that they know they can trust and that'll be there to help them when they have questions or problems.

Thumbs up(I won't say where) to you.:)

If you're "way beyond that"... why don't you get along with your customers? Why don't they all appreciate you and your efforts?

Jesus may love you, but I'm starting to get rather annoyed right now.

Attitude affects behavior affects technique.

When someone feels this way, they are usually "way beyond help" because their own attitude and ego gets in the way of being teachable and learning.

BTW, when a CUSTOMER says "you're really good, you're so convincing"... that's bs. That's a smokescreen for saying that you're too slick. I don't know what line of sales you were in, but insurance is a business of trust. If someone said "you're really good, you're so convincing"... I would ask to clarify that statement. It's a stroke to your ego, but it doesn't mean anything.

What I'm telling you is to FORGET "STRATEGIES" and learn to communicate and engender trust. All these people are giving you 'strokes' and NOT BUYING. Compliments don't pay your bills! Checks and applications for insurance do!

Your problem... is that you think you know it all.

Your next problem... is you're going to have to unlearn what you have learned.

Insurance - any and all forms of insurance - is a relationship business... and somehow, you're failing at building a trusting relationship. You're too much in "sales mode" and people sense it. And they treat you accordingly.

Maybe you need to try to push prospects away to start earning trust. Here are a couple of articles that may help you:

Mike Volner pushes away prospects...yes, really. | LifeHealthPro

ProducersWeb - My Practice - How enthusiasm is undermining your sales

So yeah, I'm a troll... trying to help you... even after you slap me in the face... but what do I know. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

And your flamewall post there... tells me all I need to know about you. You "know it all" and are "way beyond that". But let's not forget... you were the one who asked for help... and you get what you pay for here.

Would you like your money back?

dhk saying that i need to first read the customer and assess--im past sales 101..way beyond that..this is past any kind of really good sales tactics I already possess..ive even had customers say..you're really good...you're so convincing. I had one person tell me i was just so good and she couldn't get why...sometimes you can be too good, sometimes it just doesn't matter and sometimes you have to change your strategies depending on who you're selling to...i agree with vic101 who said that in this market theres a lot of competition and people do seem to agree with the liars not the honest people...

----------

gollini is the actual TROLL..sitting here constantly responding with pointless and negative remarks towards a poster just posting questions and talking or ranting...that's what TROLLING is..trolling is NOT posting a question seeking advice or feedback...DHK is the troll too trying to seek attention in some form or a voice..not sure why by attempting to either put the poster down or implying it's the posters fault in some way which isnt truthful or even constructive criticism but just rudeness and being a troll...so i really hope the two trolls on this posting DHK and gollini find something better to do with their large amount of time they have apparently sitting on forums being rude and stupid...

Honestly at first I had agreed with some of the things you said

However after further investigation the main things I noticed were
1 you have been in the business just 1 month
2 you constantly pat yourself on the back and have a very arrogant way about you for someone who has been in the buis for 1 month and show yourself as unteachable
3 the other agents in your office as you say are dishonest and pushy salesman showing that the training you are receiving is not teaching good habits that will make you successful over the long haul only short sighted
4 you are heavy on blaming other but take no responsibility for your own not even in the slightest

ive done sales for a long time but recently started selling insurance..remotely. many customesr are nice, though some are rude or jerks. The problem I have is with some customers who treat someone like theyre incompetent or stupid- when we're not. Also, I'm an honest agent, eg, a customer called in to sign up for a plan. She got a quote from another agent who told her the plan included doctors visits. I told her they don't - b/c they don't. She signed up through me, for a more expensive plan that did include doctor visits. Now she's calling to cancel with erroneous excuses- she can't get in the website- or other reasons. there was no website to get into. she's being a b*. Should I just go with what she was told and sign her up since customers seem to appreciate dishonesty and lies over someone telling them the truth? this has happened before and customers seem to believe the liars over those telling them the truth.

also im big on customer service but constnatly dealing with customers who are rude to me or making me feel as if im not helping them out. 5/1 just started and I have tons of customers calling me telling me their ID cards aren't in- rather than calling the insurance company. does anyone else experience rude or weird customers- it seems to me that customers just like agents who make up stories and lie to them. I'll even try to tell them the truth and they refuse to believe me...

You can't fix stupid. Life is too short to tolerate those type of customers.

Back