How to Handle Unhappy Customers

I've always found this to be my best process:

1) Ask lots of questions. Stay calm. Take a deep breath.

2) Tell them you need 5 minutes (or more, be accurate) to research their problem. No matter what, call them back in 5 minutes.

3) If you can't solve their problem, offer some advice to help them solve their problem.

4) If they are persistently a jerk, politely recommend transferring them to another agent (it doesn't seem like you very happy here with our agency, perhaps Agent X might be a better fit.).

But yes, it's the nature of the business, just takes some getting used to. Try to laugh it off as much as possible. Don't let it get to you.

those are good ideas...I mean to call them back, or tell them one minute, the problem is unless theyre interested and understand what's going on, it might be hard to gte them back on the phone. i never get them off the phone unless they say they need time etc...if its a potential sale, i'll keep them on the phone. every sale is diff--some are interested people who need you, others are needy people but they don't care--they'll pass it up and not care to ever enroll, and others you can coerce into a plan...like i sort of coerced a woman into a plan yesterday who said she wanted to sleep on it and ask God...she was a distraught widow and a little off balanced but nice..she was in sales herself...but i finally just closed the deal b/c i knew if i got her off the phone i'd never hear from her again or get her back on...

So you're basically trying to close on the first contact?

How many percentage wise treat you this way? 10%50% 75%?

Are you 100% certain everyone who compete with is dishonest?

Best of luck to you. If this is a consistent problem you're running into, you may need to assess what you're doing out there.

Are you cold calling? or are these warm leads?

Cold calling I can understand the hang ups. Warm leads not so much, unless your approach needs work.

yes i agree associatePI-- that's what it seems like to me. People are just, out there or who knows. it's scary or messed up...it seems there's no way to please them and they just want to be difficult or rude. I wonder if there's even a way of dealing with these difficult or rude people and somehow swaying them..so confusing... or maybe they're on powertrips or just crazy...

----------

for instance..i signed up a customer recently- she was really wishywashy sort of, but i got her info and checking acct number...and got her on a plan. I havent contacted her for two days but decided that I'll go ahead and send her a confirmation--why would that be a bad thing? but my gut told me, not to send her one...regardless I still did..

minutes later, she sends me back an email saying that she doesn't want to make any changes to her current situation...I think a cobra plan which she's paying 800/month for..compared to this plan which is around 400/month...

I have a strong feeling had I not sent her the confirmation, maybe, she would have stuck with it--or maybe not...it's just so confusing and complicated.. she seemed unstable anyway and the whole situation was confusing...I just figured if I don't get her signed up right away I'll never hear from her again...how is someone supposed to approach somethign like this? really it seems when i got kind of rude and just asked for her account info she gladly gave it to me--like she 'wanted' to be taken advantage of...who knows. Now that I sent her a legitimate confirmation she's not interested...these customers are just so crazy...not all of them but some..its like a poker game or something....nothing is solid and they change their mind for no rational reason...

This has to be one of the funniest things I've read in a while.:twitchy:

She took it out to get rid of you. You sending her the e-mail just allowed her to tell you sooner, rather than later.

well that makes no sense--she's the one who kept me on the phone, rambling about weird stuff..after a while i thought..oh gosh she's really playing that annoying im going to vent ot you customer card.. and take advantage of you since you want me to buy from you- which some customers do. They know you're a sales agent and just take advantage of it, which is ridiculous...she kept talking and talking. She was unstable, and said her husband had died. She even began laughing in a creepy way..(like im crazy and have lost my mind)...then she said she wanted to sleep on it and ask God...she was strange. Finally I went in for the close..to get rid of her...and try one last time knowing she wasn't going to be a customer just based on the way she was acting. She gave me the information and she sounded a little interested...but wishywashy. I wasn't sure about her ... but most customers that want to get rid of you don't give u their information---so what was this woman trying to do...my thoughts were, im not staying on this phone any longer if this woman isn't going to buy from me...she's def wasting my time

im trying to figure these customers out--every arena has a niche of customers and their behavior...ive dealt with customers far worse than these- low income customers looking for life insurance--the worst. These are many steps above but still strange...many seem to be behaving in similar ways..some are normal but others are creeps..trying to understand their motives and why they're doign what they're doing. I've learned- a number like liars and dishonest agents looking to scam or upprice them. Some seem to dislike honesty it seems. Others are just, weird and jerks on powertrips...i dont know what's wrong with some of them...some will believe any lie an agent tells them no matter what even if it means paying 300.00 more a month for no reason.

it would make sense if the woman decided she didnt want the plan...based on some reasoning, fine. But she seemed unstable from the beginning and yet easily swayed if you were aggressive with her...who knows..i haven't figured these people out yet. Also many want a plan but just won't get one--it turns into a game of trying to sign them up...really weird.. I would think that if you want to get insurance and you need it...why all the reluctance in signing up for a plan? Then suddenly when they DO want to sign up--and you're not there right away--they'll suddenly rush to another agent or someone else...

they seem impatient and messed up...ive had customers just be jerks for no reason...even if i put them on hold for 10 seconds, they're gone and sign up with someone else...i learned ok can't put someone on hold? wtf..
one girl, finally we got each other on the phone, she said she was on her computer ready to sign up..i was with another customer and told her i'd call her right back..10 mins later, she never answered again and never heard from her again..and I called her several times..just crazy..that's not everyone but it's many..ive never dealt with customers like this before...just this impatient and unpredictable...im like ok...can't put someone on hold, can't call someone back..wtf can you do? drop one csutomer if another is ready to sign up right away? absurd...some are just crazy too..and keep leading you on or being rude or psycho..for no reason. some talk over you or dominate you...just craziness..

other customers too...waiting to hear from a doctor..right away call me..but im not there..i assume they sign up with someone else but still lead me on somehow..so strange.. it seems some are also on powertrips too..just stupid or get arrogant b/c they have many agents calling them so they have a 'choice' and now act rude...

So you do telesales. Do you live close enough to go see the crazy women face to face?

well my q is..what is wrong with these customers...theyre morons or crazy..its ridiculous...people chewing your eat out being rude belligerent, talking loud and too much...and yes i do telesales...these people are trash....

just had a guy chew my head off earlier...im kind polite low key trying to help him...and he took advantage of it...white trash...I have to take it for the money...its really messed up...and i think dealing with idiots on the phone does suck

Back